gpa ranges Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Gold

Re: gpa ranges

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 pm

ert335 wrote:Does anybody have advice on whether the "Why X" should go in the PS or in a special addendum? And if it's an addendum, should I still mention X in the PS?
Addendum if you have enough to talk about. I didn't and was overseas so I tailored the last two paragraphs of my PS to each school.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:45 pm

CastleRock wrote:
blowhard wrote: You know there is a big link that says "advanced forum search" write at the top of the screen right?
Lol, I thought you were trying to make fun of him, but then I couldn't find the term write in his post.
Eh...posting while tired/drinking... :D

ert335

New

Post by ert335 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:47 pm

Where do you find detailed descriptions of each school?

ert335

New

Post by ert335 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:48 pm

blowhard- that's originally what I was going to do, and they wouldn't sound so generic

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:49 pm

ert335 wrote:Where do you find detailed descriptions of each school?
Ideally you'd visit. I spent a lot of time on their websites looking at their public service programs, etc. I talked to current students on here. You need to be really specific though. Not just a generic paragraph where you change the school's name...that's tacky. It needs to be truly about that school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ert335

New

Post by ert335 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:53 pm

I would think that the one school-specific PS I'm working on right now does not sound generic at all, but i guess in any case one COULD change the name of the school and the city it's in...

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:21 pm

ert335 wrote:I would think that the one school-specific PS I'm working on right now does not sound generic at all, but i guess in any case one COULD change the name of the school and the city it's in...
Do you talk about any of the schools clinics or program by name? Use the name of a specific part of the school?

redsoxfan77

New

Post by redsoxfan77 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:11 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
redsoxfan77 wrote:I have a similar question. I am currently getting a masters degree with a GPA of 3.9 I'm hoping to bump it up to a 3.93 before I graduate.

The problem I have is that as an undergrad I was immature and not focused on my studies. Do most law schools even look at my undergrad record given that I am in grad school?

Thanks!
Law schools will look at nothing but your undergraduate grades whilst calculating your GPA. Sorry dude.
Thanks for Manbearwig's and your responses. This might not actually be a terrible thing as it could be. I transferred into my final college. If I were to average all of the schools and GPAs I believe I would have a 3.0. Not as high as I would have liked, but I would be surprised if that was a hopeless case. Say I get a 170 on a LSAT would it still be possible to get into schools like Pepperdine, USC and Notre Dame?

I was thinking of also writing a quick addendum to my application, but I don't want to sound like cry baby. I survived 3 murder attempts (shotgun, poison and a cut break line), while working 3 jobs (at once), while going to school. The stress was a factor in my performance. I just don't really know how much it affected me. Would this be a valid reason to write an addendum?

Also this was about 8 years ago now and things have mellowed out. Does the amount of time between UG graduation and application time to the law school impact anything? How important is work experience and and further education?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:28 am

redsoxfan77 wrote: I survived 3 murder attempts (shotgun, poison and a cut break line)
Keep it gangster.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:02 am

redsoxfan77 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
redsoxfan77 wrote:I have a similar question. I am currently getting a masters degree with a GPA of 3.9 I'm hoping to bump it up to a 3.93 before I graduate.

The problem I have is that as an undergrad I was immature and not focused on my studies. Do most law schools even look at my undergrad record given that I am in grad school?

Thanks!
Law schools will look at nothing but your undergraduate grades whilst calculating your GPA. Sorry dude.
Thanks for Manbearwig's and your responses. This might not actually be a terrible thing as it could be. I transferred into my final college. If I were to average all of the schools and GPAs I believe I would have a 3.0. Not as high as I would have liked, but I would be surprised if that was a hopeless case. Say I get a 170 on a LSAT would it still be possible to get into schools like Pepperdine, USC and Notre Dame?

I was thinking of also writing a quick addendum to my application, but I don't want to sound like cry baby. I survived 3 murder attempts (shotgun, poison and a cut break line), while working 3 jobs (at once), while going to school. The stress was a factor in my performance. I just don't really know how much it affected me. Would this be a valid reason to write an addendum?

Also this was about 8 years ago now and things have mellowed out. Does the amount of time between UG graduation and application time to the law school impact anything? How important is work experience and and further education?
Did you have a falling out with Vladimir Putin or something?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:51 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:52 am

This thread definitely took a turn for the weird.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:23 am

naterj wrote:
redsoxfan77 wrote: I survived 3 murder attempts (shotgun, poison and a cut break line)
Keep it gangster.

lmao, naterj you get funnier e'eryday!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

redsoxfan77

New

Post by redsoxfan77 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 am

I just used to be a bouncer in a town that like gangs and booze. Anyways every event was individual.

The shotgun incident was a latecomer to fight that his buddies was in. Everyone that was in the fight ran away. As I worked there and wasn't apart of it I assumed that I could walk out the waitress to her car. This guy turned the corner saw me and just shot. Luckily he was off a bit and I was only hit by little shot after it had hit the wall of the building next to us.

The poison was from when we kicked out a plumber from the bar for getting too touchy with the female staff. I was working the parking lot and he hadn't put up any fight. I come back to my pitcher and noticed he was standing off watching me as I took a sip. I tasted it and spit it out noticing it was off. He got out of there pretty quick.

The break line incident is the biggest question mark. I have no idea who did that. I was just getting my breaks fixed when the mechanic said that someone had "sliced" my break line. Everyone in the place stops and looks over at me. At that point I say "Yeah, you should probably fix that." No labor charged. I wondered if the mechanic had just messed up and accidently cut the break line, but that is not how he came off to me. Telling a customer that someone has cut their break line is a bit cold even for a crooked mechanic. That and all a mechanic would have to do is try to get all technical out of the range of knowledge of the average consumer. This was straight and to the point. I am inclined to believe him.

So those are the three incidents that I mentioned.

Let's not get too distracted by them though. I was serious when i asked my previous questions. Thanks for the help!
~RSF

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”