Retake LSAT during admissions cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trudat15

Silver

Retake LSAT during admissions cycle?

Post by trudat15 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Going to apply to law school this cycle, have a 164 (Dec) and 174 (June). I think I can do much better, as before June I was PTing in the high 170s. In Dec I completely freaked out and pretty sure I have that issue taken care of.

As my GPA is somewhat low (3.4), and I have that low LSAT, I'm worried about my chances at some of the top schools. Specially CCN. Should I take the LSAT again in like Dec and if I score killer on it (and if they reject me or WL me) ask them to reconsider in light of a new LSAT score? Would a score in the high 170s significantly change my status as an applicant during the cycle, given my other scores and gpa?

dominkay

Bronze

Re: Retake LSAT during admissions cycle?

Post by dominkay » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:31 pm

I've heard that if you're registered for an upcoming exam when you apply, they won't review your app until you take it, and you won't be able to choose whether they get the score.

Also, don't retake a 174, fool. Just write an addendum for the 164.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:23 pm

dominkay wrote:I've heard that if you're registered for an upcoming exam when you apply, they won't review your app until you take it, and you won't be able to choose whether they get the score.

Also, don't retake a 174, fool. Just write an addendum for the 164.
Yeah I was planning on writing an addendum, but thought that if I just retook the 174 (but them not knowing) and only alerting them to it if I were to receive a higher score might help, but I guess they would know about it regardless.

Thanks for the info.

4llin

New

Post by 4llin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Keep in mind that you are above the 75% at Chicago & NYU.

Looking at LSN, I can't see a big difference between 174-176 with a 3.4 over the past 3 years at these schools, so unless you think you can do 177+ more than say, 80% of the time, I wouldn't recommend spending the time getting ready for a retake, but that's a personal call.

As for retaking during an admissions cycle you are better off just applying ED the next time around. The stress of waiting to hear back from schools, I've heard, can influence your test day mind set.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:55 pm

4llin wrote:Keep in mind that you are above the 75% at Chicago & NYU.

Looking at LSN, I can't see a big difference between 174-176 with a 3.4 over the past 3 years at these schools, so unless you think you can do 177+ more than say, 80% of the time, I wouldn't recommend spending the time getting ready for a retake, but that's a personal call.

As for retaking during an admissions cycle you are better off just applying ED the next time around. The stress of waiting to hear back from schools, I've heard, can influence your test day mind set.
Yeah but doesnt NYU avg? Or if I write an addendum, will they look more towards the 174, given that it's such a huge difference.
Yeah, I dont think I'd retake, I'm just starting to stress about my numbers and possibility getting into a T6, which is where I REALLY want to go. I've seen guys with retakes around mine on LSN that have had horrible cycles.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”