Family graduating from law school you apply to.... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jtb00711

Bronze

Family graduating from law school you apply to....

Post by jtb00711 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:24 am

Does having a parent and other family members previously graduate from a law school increase you chances of getting accepted to the same school? Does that carry any weight?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Family graduating from law school you apply to....

Post by Knock » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:28 am

jtb00711 wrote:Does having a parent and other family members previously graduate from a law school increase you chances of getting accepted to the same school? Does that carry any weight?
Don't think so. Maybe if they happened to be unusually generous donors. Otherwise, I wouldn't count on anything.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:34 am

There were a bunch of applications that asked about whether a family member or someone you know attended the law school when I applied. Honestly, I don't think it makes a difference unless, as KnockGlock, noted, they're donors or well-known.

EDIT: Post 1,300! Yeah, I'm a dork. :wink:
Last edited by billyez on Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:36 am

billyez wrote:There were a bunch of applications that asked about whether a family member or someone you know attended the law school when I applied. Honestly, I don't think it makes a difference unless, as KnockGlock, noted, they're donors or well-known.
It might help you write an insightful "Why X" essay though! So in that sense it could be beneficial.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:43 am

I concur. It should be noted that "legacy" applicants, which is what we're really talking about here I suppose, don't just have to be in regards to family. I interned under someone who went to American University and put his name down as someone I knew who had graduated from there. Had it been a #1 choice of mine, I might have written an essay about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jtb00711

Bronze

Post by jtb00711 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:46 am

Thanks for the responses. An attorney where I work is writing me a LOR for the school he graduated from, my father also graduated from the same school; reason I ask.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:32 am

It might carry a little weight if you have a nice family history there. Not just if your dad graduated, but say everyone in the family went there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”