Will a top MBA help me for JD Admissions? 162 lsat 3.78 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thecilent

Gold

Re: Will a top MBA help me for JD Admissions? 162 lsat 3.78

Post by thecilent » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:seriously, the trolls are out in force tonight.. first the cooley thread and now this
I don't get why people think they are 100% sure this is a flame.

The only thing that kinda seems flamey to me is the fact that he got into HBS with only two years of experience. Thought you needed more, but I could be wrong. Otherwise, this seems pretty reasonable to me
read it over again....

this person, is going to spend 200k dollars at Harvard Business School as a backup in case his law school aspirations don't work out.....

now it is possible to get into HBS with 2years of experience, but that person has to be employed at something like a top consulting or investment banking firm in most cases (esp when you have a 3.78 GPA)... somebody with that background would have a much better grasp of opportunity costs and plain fricking reality then this person does.

which of course he doesn't, since its a made up scenario by a troll
You mean like the kinda firms that would pay for his biz school?

I'm not saying it's def not a troll. I'm just saying it's not def a troll

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:seriously, the trolls are out in force tonight.. first the cooley thread and now this

The only thing that kinda seems flamey to me is the fact that he got into HBS with only two years of experience. Thought you needed more, but I could be wrong. Otherwise, this seems pretty reasonable to me
read it over again....

this person, is going to spend 200k dollars at Harvard Business School as a backup in case his law school aspirations don't work out.....

now it is possible to get into HBS with 2years of experience, but that person has to be employed at something like a top consulting or investment banking firm in most cases (esp when you have a 3.78 GPA)... somebody with that background would have a much better grasp of opportunity costs and plain fricking reality then this person does.

You mean like the kinda firms that would pay for his biz school?

I'm not saying it's def not a troll. I'm just saying it's not def a troll
a firm is only going to pay for your graduate school if you agree to continue working for a set amount of time afterwards...

none of those programs will pay for ur business school then let u run off to law school right afterwards

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:40 pm

Word. You're right. And prob is a troll. Roarrrr

lonestar

New

Post by lonestar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 pm

If you're really that interested in law school, you should use that GMAT score to apply to the Northwestern AJD program. They accept GMAT. Also, I hear NW frequently accepts transfers from Kellogg to the Law School.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... sions.html

stormz123

New

Post by stormz123 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:09 am

Na_Swatch wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:

read it over again....

First of all, my main question was whether or Harvard MBA would make me more competitive for law school should I decide to apply my second year for business school. (I will have to retake the LSATs again as well). I am not fully sure if I will go to law school, but want to know if I would be a more competitive applicant if I cannot earn a 170+.

I do work for a consulting company btw. My company is not paying for my MBA. I am fortunate that my parents are financing my business school education. I understand the opportunity cost involved if I continue with 5 additional years of schools (2 for MBA, 3 for Law School), but I am willing to confront it and it is ultimately my decision to make.

My original plan was a JD/MBA but I was rejected from Northwestern (I thought my high GMAT would help me out). Now, I am exploring with the idea of a JD after an MBA, its not thaaaat crazy…. and I am not a troll

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:20 am

stormz123 wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:

read it over again....

First of all, my main question was whether or Harvard MBA would make me more competitive for law school should I decide to apply my second year for business school. (I will have to retake the LSATs again as well). I am not fully sure if I will go to law school, but want to know if I would be a more competitive applicant if I cannot earn a 170+.

I do work for a consulting company btw. My company is not paying for my MBA. I am fortunate that my parents are financing my business school education. I understand the opportunity cost involved if I continue with 5 additional years of schools (2 for MBA, 3 for Law School), but I am willing to confront it and it is ultimately my decision to make.

My original plan was a JD/MBA but I was rejected from Northwestern (I thought my high GMAT would help me out). Now, I am exploring with the idea of a JD after an MBA, its not thaaaat crazy…. and I am not a troll
Your parents are going to shell out 200K for B school and then 250K for law school? Wish my family could shell out that much money...

actually no...

because then I would be a stuck up, entitled little brat like you……,“oh no, I cannot only settle for an MBA from Harvard, I need to get a JD from Yale too.” Dude, you could not even break a 162 after taking the test three times. Kinda pathetic. It also shows that you are not meant to belong among the t14 crowd. Sorry bro, I am sure you can make plenty of money using daddy’s money and connection from the MBA alma mater of GW Bush.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 am

I don't know the answer to your question, but Northwestern & Harvard Law Schools are moving toward more practical JD degrees. My opinion is that a Harvard MBA would help at several top 14 law schools such as Northwestern, Duke (encourages, or, at least, facilitates, dual degrees for JD students) & Harvard among others.
I don't understand why some think that you are not a serious poster. The GMAT is not as difficult as the LSAT & a 162 on the LSAT is in the top 15%.
You worries are premature, in my opinion. Get the MBA, explore your opportunities & then see if a JD is still appealing to you.
P.S. My impression is that many of the high scoring LSAT TLS members do not realize that they have a genius/gifted IQ level that is not easily imitated. Someone scoring a 168 or above on the LSAT is of exceptional intelligence.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:06 am

Probably said 100 times but anyone who gets into HBS knows that it's far more credited than any other professional program in the world (close second by SBS?).

FLAME ON.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:07 am

Also:

HBS = KKR, Blackstone, Citadel, etc.

T3 Law = Wachtell, maybe?

It's not even close.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:44 am

D Brooks wrote:Also:

HBS = KKR, Blackstone, Citadel, etc.

T3 Law = Wachtell, maybe?

It's not even close.
+1. take the money from your future firm and run.

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:04 pm

FLAME ON....FLAME ON.....FLAME ON

FLAME UNTIL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE

lawschool2014

New

Post by lawschool2014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:47 am

You would be an idiot to consider a mediocre law school after hbs. Only consider law school after an MBA if you can get into HYS and based on your low numbers, it's not possible. Just go work at Goldman Sachs...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”