Help! Transfering into GW law, what's the best option? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DPT

New

Help! Transfering into GW law, what's the best option?

Post by DPT » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Hello everyone!

I have a very unusual question that I really need some help, and its quite urgent as well. Thank you for your attention.

Background:
I am a foreign-trained attorney seeking to get a J.D. degree and work in the USA. I have been admitted to the regular J.D program at AU law but I really wanted to attend GW law. At GW law, I applied to both J.D. and LL.M. programs, but at that school I was only admitted to GW's LL.M program. GW has a special "Master of Laws - Juris Doctor Transfer Program" (http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/JD/Pages/Non-US.aspx), in which, if I do well enough in the LL.M. and the LSAT, I could be eligible to transfer into the J.D. program with all my credits being transferred towards the JD degree.

Question:
Thus, I would like to know which one you all think would be the easiest route to transfer into GW? Taking advantage of their "Master of Laws - Juris Doctor Transfer Program" or by taking the first year at AU law and then attempting to transfer into GW?

Any thoughts about the pros and cons of both options are very welcome. Those who have actually been through, or know someone who have taken advantage of GW's LL.M - J.D. transfer program, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you very much.H

snowpeach06

Gold

Re: Help! Transfering into GW law, what's the best option?

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:43 pm

I'd imagine it would be much easier to start at GW and get into GW, then to start at American and get into GW. Schools are usually much more likely to accept their own students than students from elsewhere.

DPT

New

Re: Help! Transfering into GW law, what's the best option?

Post by DPT » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:15 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I'd imagine it would be much easier to start at GW and get into GW, then to start at American and get into GW. Schools are usually much more likely to accept their own students than students from elsewhere.

Cool, thanks for the advice!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”