Prescription medication and becoming a lawyer Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tangosix

New

Prescription medication and becoming a lawyer

Post by tangosix » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:14 pm

I was recently (Friday) diagnosed with OCD and General Anxiety Disorder and prescribed 50 mg of Sertraline (Zoloft) daily.
Will this have any adverse effect on my acceptance if and when I apply to a law school? Are personality disorders considered anywhere in the field?

rynabrius

Bronze

Re: Prescription medication and becoming a lawyer

Post by rynabrius » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Stay mum about it.

tangosix

New

Post by tangosix » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:17 pm

thought about that aswell.

TBH i've yet to get the prescription filled and i probably won't even do it. my symptoms are so mild and my mom made me go so i somewhat went to satisfy here

then again, it's documented that im diagnosed w/ those issues. meh. guess its nothing to fret over

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:25 pm

SSRIs like Zoloft are so benign and widely prescribed that there's no reason not to take them, unless you're certain that the diagnosis was a mistake. Taking zoloft will have absolutely no adverse effect on your performance in law school (if needed, it may help) or on your admissions cycle.

If a medication is competently prescribed, then it isn't anyone's business as far as your application is concerned. Plus, so many many people are prescribed drugs like Zoloft that even if all your adcomms knew, they wouldn't give a damn.

If you need them, even a little, take the meds you are prescribed.

servinDizzert

New

Post by servinDizzert » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:34 pm

What about medicinal marijuana? Is that frowned upon?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Didn't the Incas use blow medicinally?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:22 pm

Remember that OCD is not a personality disorder; it's Axis I.

Eric475

New

Post by Eric475 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:29 pm

I've been shuffling through various psychological medications for months and I'm not worried about applying in the fall you'll be fine

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:41 pm

tangosix wrote:thought about that aswell.

TBH i've yet to get the prescription filled and i probably won't even do it. my symptoms are so mild and my mom made me go so i somewhat went to satisfy here

then again, it's documented that im diagnosed w/ those issues. meh. guess its nothing to fret over
imo, try the prescription for a month and then decide whether or not you want it

its not going to affect law school and you might as well get started on this medication during the summer (since the first week or two could be a little rough)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:14 pm

OP: You should be taking advice about your medication from a doctor, not from people on TLS.

While the above poster's advice was well intentioned, one month is not long enough to determine whether or not SSRI medication is working or not. It often takes from 3-6 weeks for meds like these to actually begin having an effect. Also, at no point after you've been taking it for a while should you just decide to stop taking it. You will need a taper protocol determined by your doctor to do that responsibly. You're messing with your brain chemistry, take it seriously.

That being said, again, if you need them, take them. It will only help you in law school and in life.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:16 pm

servinDizzert wrote:What about medicinal marijuana? Is that frowned upon?
By the feds who are providing your student loans, yes.

bows_and_toes

New

Post by bows_and_toes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:Didn't the Incas use blow medicinally?
They chewed coca leaves, not the isolated chemical cocaine. More comparable to coffee than blow.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:33 pm

First of all, I should disclose that I am a psychologist. While I certainly cannot provide advice about this specific treatment plan, I can comment more generally about how to handle treatment recommendations when confidentiality is a concern.

It isn’t a very good idea to make decisions about mental health treatment without consulting a psychologist or psychiatrist. I would strongly suggest you bring your concerns back to the prescribing physician or an individual therapist before you decide to ignore the treatment recommendations. I assure you that all of us in the mental health field are used to dealing with issues of confidentiality and will be able to work with you to address your concerns.

Speaking more generally, lawyers as a group are often more worried than they need to be about mental health records. I have treated a number of lawyers and law students and have never been asked to release records of any sort. Even if I had been asked, a licensing board would not be able to compel me to turn them over. Contrary to what most think, it is absolutely impossible for a state bar to access this information without your permission. A lot of lawyers believe the blanket consent they sign as part of their bar application entitles the bar to access to medical records. It does not. The blanket consent does not meet the minimum requirement of a medical release as defined by HIPAA. The bar would have to follow up with an additional, more specific release of information if they wanted medical records. Finally, if all else fails, session notes are not very informative. Here is what one of my notes typically looks like.

01/01/10 Individual therapy 45 min
S/O: clt arrived on time. Mood was “OK” with consistent affect. No SI/HI. Mental status unchanged. Today the clt discussed his relationship with his gf
A: Clt stable and engaged
P: Cont. RTC 01/08/10

Too many lawyers suffer from untreated mental illness because they are afraid that treatment jeopardizes their career. In my experience, untreated mental illness is far more threatening to a lawyer’s career than therapy or antidepressants.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”