A question about part time and JD/MBA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
treeofsmoke

New

A question about part time and JD/MBA

Post by treeofsmoke » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:19 pm

I'll get the double degree question out the way first, because I've seen a lot of commentary on it here on TLS. The general advice seems to be that getting a JD/MBA doesn't really help, and might hurt, your chances of getting a great job. However, what if you're one of those (me) who took a cupcake undergrad program for the GPA and are hoping to use the MBA to familiarize yourself with the business world and it's philosophy? Can you successfully sell the JD/MBA that way, and would it make a difference?

finally, I was also wondering if PT programs offer the same job opportunities as full time. For instance, if you're part time at Duke (assuming they have one) and your GPA is at the top of the class, are you seen as the top ranked student in that class, or just the PT program? How does that stack up against the rankings of the full time program?

Sorry for the two questions which should obviously be in separate threads. I didn't want to blow up the front page, though.

merichard87

Silver

Re: A question about part time and JD/MBA

Post by merichard87 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:31 pm

About the JD/MBA - if you want to be a lawyer, even in corporate law or as in house counsel, you don't need the depth of understanding that a MBA would give.

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:35 pm

TLS consensus seems to oppose joint-degree programs. But then I speak to people IRL, and they have a much more favorable view of such programs. Also, ITE, it may not be such a bad idea to have two degrees so as to at least potentially gain entry to two different fields. But the programs also mean taking on more debt. I'm still trying to decide on it myself.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:10 pm

My understanding on PT is that the thing that sets you apart most from FT students is your inability to participate in summer legal work (because you probably already work) and to participate in some of the extracurricular activities. These are both big pieces of the puzzle to gainful legal employment.

I am still looking for some answers on how PT students can overcome some of this. I think PT students can still be on law review, etc, but I don't know how they make up for the lack of summer legal work during law school.

As for the GPA, You are ranked against the full time class, so it is unlikely your PT GPA will detract employers.

treeofsmoke

New

Post by treeofsmoke » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:47 pm

See, I'm in a bit of a unique situation. My work can be dropped at any time (within a week or two notice) and picked back up when I need. I would be able to participate in summer associateship/internships and then go back to work when I was done. I'd also be able to take the time (two weeks?) right before finals off. I make enough money that I'd be able to pay for a lot of law school by doing this and so I wonder if part time isn't the right option for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:41 pm

JD/MBA are pretty worthless. they are mostly just a way for schools to get more $$$$ in the door.

alive

New

Post by alive » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:38 pm

gwuorbust wrote:JD/MBA are pretty worthless. they are mostly just a way for schools to get more $$$$ in the door.
What makes you say this? Do you have a JD/MBA?

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:00 pm

alive wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:JD/MBA are pretty worthless. they are mostly just a way for schools to get more $$$$ in the door.
no, and I do not have to have a JD/MBA to make that kind of statement. That would be akin to you saying I couldn't say going to cooley law school was worthless because I do not have a cooley law school degree myself, which is obviously a ridiculous statement.

regardless, based off my research here is what I can say.

1st if you plan on going into business then you should get an MBA or get real-world experience on the job. however, the JD part is generally not necessary. indeed, many ppl say it can be a hindrance because it makes ppl feel you are overqualified. also, the law is a lot about technical expertise which is generally not as applicable outside of being a lawyer as many laypeople believe.

2nd if you plan on working in a law firm then many firms will look at your JD/MBA as a negative. this is because they (rightly so in a lot of cases) believe that you will jump ship to inhouse counsel.

3rd MBA programs outside of the top 6 are pretty worthless in general. If you are talking Northwestern, Yale, Harvard, Penn then fine get the JD/MBA. At those places you are going to be making bank no matter what you do. but at somewhere like, say, GWU where you are already going to be shelling out 220k to add on another year and ramp your debt up to 300k for possibly worse job prospects.. how does that add up?

the moral of the story: unless you get into the best of the best JD/MBA programs, stay away.

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:04 pm

It becomes much more valuable if you have some experience to go along with the MBA. An MBA and a couple years within a particular high-profile industry before you get a JD would be more impressive on a resume. You need to be able to show an employer at an interview how you will be a strategic asset for the firm, that not hiring you would be throwing a huge bone to one of their competitors.

I have a management degree, but it's an MS in management, not an MBA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alive

New

Post by alive » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:00 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
alive wrote:
no, and I do not have to have a JD/MBA to make that kind of statement. That would be akin to you saying I couldn't say going to Cooley law school was worthless because I do not have a Cooley law school degree myself, which is obviously a ridiculous statement.

regardless, based off my research here is what I can say.

1st if you plan on going into business then you should get an MBA or get real-world experience on the job. however, the JD part is generally not necessary. indeed, many ppl say it can be a hindrance because it makes ppl feel you are overqualified. also, the law is a lot about technical expertise which is generally not as applicable outside of being a lawyer as many laypeople believe.

2nd if you plan on working in a law firm then many firms will look at your JD/MBA as a negative. this is because they (rightly so in a lot of cases) believe that you will jump ship to inhouse counsel.

3rd MBA programs outside of the top 6 are pretty worthless in general. If you are talking Northwestern, Yale, Harvard, Penn then fine get the JD/MBA. At those places you are going to be making bank no matter what you do. but at somewhere like, say, GWU where you are already going to be shelling out 220k to add on another year and ramp your debt up to 300k for possibly worse job prospects.. how does that add up?

the moral of the story: unless you get into the best of the best JD/MBA programs, stay away.
I think it is much easier to say a degree from law school X is worthless because we have much more statistical data backing up that particular assertion. However, I do agree that outside the top 6 or so, MBAs are worthless. I know too many MBAs and MBA students to think otherwise. I think a JD/MBA from a top program, as long as you have interesting post UG pre grad experience, would be a deadly combination.

And before you ask, until June I worked for a top investment bank and I am now making the transition to a smaller, boutique investment firm. At both firms, the majority of the employees I work/ed with are MBAs from Penn or Harvard. When I told the MD I worked for that I was considering law school or a JD/MBA, he said his biggest regret is not getting a JD/MBA, because he believes that the combination would have helped him get to an even more senior position at the firm. Of course, take that with a grain of salt.

Iuvo

New

Post by Iuvo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Plenty of top corporate lawyers have nothing more than a JD and a degree in English Literature. Seems like there is no need to understand business at the master's level to do that. Also, once I spoke to the vice president of a top chemical corporation who said that they usually shy away from JD/MBA's because they cost too much when a JD is really enough for the work they do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”