Things TLS does not know Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rundoxierun

Gold

Re: Things TLS does not know

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Matthies wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: Congrats man.. you might know a lot about super specific water laws.. you completely picked apart my non-specific generalized example that wasnt meant to signify an actual dispute. Apparently it makes you feel good to bait people into using such generalized statements so you can pick them apart. Males generally have XY sex chromosomes and females have XX sex chromosomes.. now you are good to go for bringing up specific genetic disorders to prove me wrong. Gold Star for you?? Yes, you can start your OWN practice and specialize (i.e. spanish speakers often start practices devoted almost entirely to immigration issues.) but the vast majority of people here are looking to work for firms.
No, you kinda missed the point, dood, you make post staying TLS does not know what its talking about. You then proceed to give information that proves you don't know what you're talking about, that lawyers can't specialize out of law school. You tell me what water lawyers do, as if you have any clue, and say its not what most people on TLS think. (Which obviously includes you)Then you get your panties in a twist. lesson learned, TLS knows more than you do, but not even TLS, or me, knows everything.
Umm no, if you read the post that led to you talking about the water law stuff you will see it specifically referred to "working for a firm" not setting up your own shop or government work. IN GENERAL(which is what anything meant for mass consumption on a message board should be read as) Lawyers will not specialize out of law school. Why is it that TLS is unable to understand that it is silly to bring up exceptions to general statements. When someone says people with only high school degrees make less money than college grads you dont bring up Bill Gates because that is silly. If you start depending on exceptions to the rule we are right back to pointing out that Cochran graduated from Loyola and was very successful and such examples used to promote lower ranked schools.
Last edited by rundoxierun on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:23 pm

TLS knows essentially nothing about URM admission cycles or OCI.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:30 pm

Kohinoor wrote:TLS knows essentially nothing about URM admission cycles or OCI.
I know that OCI will be ranked in the 20s when it appears in US News.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:42 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Matthies wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: Congrats man.. you might know a lot about super specific water laws.. you completely picked apart my non-specific generalized example that wasnt meant to signify an actual dispute. Apparently it makes you feel good to bait people into using such generalized statements so you can pick them apart. Males generally have XY sex chromosomes and females have XX sex chromosomes.. now you are good to go for bringing up specific genetic disorders to prove me wrong. Gold Star for you?? Yes, you can start your OWN practice and specialize (i.e. spanish speakers often start practices devoted almost entirely to immigration issues.) but the vast majority of people here are looking to work for firms.
No, you kinda missed the point, dood, you make post staying TLS does not know what its talking about. You then proceed to give information that proves you don't know what you're talking about, that lawyers can't specialize out of law school. You tell me what water lawyers do, as if you have any clue, and say its not what most people on TLS think. (Which obviously includes you)Then you get your panties in a twist. lesson learned, TLS knows more than you do, but not even TLS, or me, knows everything.
Umm no, if you read the post that led to you talking about the water law stuff you will see it specifically referred to "working for a firm" not setting up your own shop or government work. IN GENERAL(which is what anything meant for mass consumption on a message board should be read as) Lawyers will not specialize out of law school. Why is it that TLS is unable to understand that it is silly to bring up exceptions to general statements. When someone says people with only high school degrees make less money than college grads you dont bring up Bill Gates because that is silly. If you start depending on exceptions to the rule we are right back to pointing out that Cochran graduated from Loyola and was very successful and such examples used to promote lower ranked schools.
Here's how it works, most of the time. most people don't specialize in law school because most don't know what they want to practice and most people get a job with a firm, and that firms, based on open areas in the firm, decides what you practice. You can target firms that do certain things, and hope you get an offer doing that thing. Buts odds are the firm, and what they have open, not you, will decide what you speclize in. That's how it works for most people. The point is don't come in here telling people you know what's up and they don't and expect people to take your word for it. Also I'll be sure to tell all my lawyer friends that speak Spanish they should be doing immigration work.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Matthies wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Matthies wrote:
Here's how it works, most of the time. most people don't specialize in law school because most don't know what they want to practice and most people get a job with a firm, and that firms, based on open areas in the firm, decides what you practice. You can target firms that do certain things, and hope you get an offer doing that thing. Buts odds are the firm, and what they have open, not you, will decide what you speclize in. That's how it works for most people. The point is don't come in here telling people you know what's up and they don't and expect people to take your word for it. Also I'll be sure to tell all my lawyer friends that speak Spanish they should be doing immigration work.
Yea, I see.. you are obviously just here to be a dbag because that is obviously in no way what I said. Plus, what you just wrote is almost exactly what I have been saying. Thanks very much for confirming that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:54 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Matthies wrote: Yea, I see.. you are obviously just here to be a dbag because that is obviously in no way what I said. Plus, what you just wrote is almost exactly what I have been saying. Thanks very much for confirming that.
I'm actually one of the nicer, more freindly douchbags on here.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Matthies is great, and OP, your original post really sucks. Just because there is debate or multiple opinions on something doesn't mean no one knows anything about it.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:Matthies is great, and OP, your original post really sucks. Just because there is debate or multiple opinions on something doesn't mean no one knows anything about it.
Im sure there are many people on here who know what they are talking about but too many times I read things that are insane. Like telling people who want to work in LA to always go to UVA/Duke over UCLA or telling someone that a spot at Duke/Gtown/Cornell is always worth giving up 15k/yr scholarship at Vandy/Texas(Not real disputes, just examples) Too many times this kind of stuff starts to seem like the consensus and I know it can get to the point where people take it as gospel.
Last edited by rundoxierun on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Does TLS know where I put my sunglasses?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:34 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Matthies is great, and OP, your original post really sucks. Just because there is debate or multiple opinions on something doesn't mean no one knows anything about it.
Im sure there are many people on here who know what they are talking about but too many times I read things that are insane. Like telling people who want to work in LA to always go to UVA/Duke over UCLA or telling someone that a spot at Duke/Gtown/Cornell is always worth giving up 15k/yr scholarship at Vandy/Texas(Not real disputes, just examples) Too many times this kind of stuff starts to seem like the consensus and I know it can get to the point where people take it as gospel.
I agree with this completly. And pretty much what i do on here is challnge the "convetional wisdom" when i can, becuase some of it IS just freaking wrong. The thing is there are some things I do know about, those I will post on, and some I don't, those I usually donn't. I asked my question about your response becuase, from my experince, what you said was wrong, and the same as what your rally against. No harm no faul, I think we both agree that nobody is an expert on everything, and my posts where meant to show that, in said of me just saying your stupid and wrong, which you will get alot on here. For some people going to the best school on the otherside of the country will be the the right asnwer for THEM, but I agree, and I think you do to, its not allawys the best answer for someonelse.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:36 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
See, the examples you give just seem absurd to me. Consensus is that Vandy w/$ is as good as Cornell and GULC, and I'd imagine the consensus would be UCLA w/$$$ would be better than UVA/Duke for LA. In fact, I'd imagine the consensus would be overwhelmingly strong on both of your examples.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
See, the examples you give just seem absurd to me. Consensus is that Vandy w/$ is as good as Cornell and GULC, and I'd imagine the consensus would be UCLA w/$$$ would be better than UVA/Duke for LA. In fact, I'd imagine the consensus would be overwhelmingly strong on both of your examples.
Well, I didnt say UCLA with $$$ and Gtown/Cornell were included with Duke so as to not just single out that one school. You will be surprised at how often people say things like "whats 30k when you are going to graduate with 150k in debt anyway." Umm.. its 30k(plus interest).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:43 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Well, I didnt say UCLA with $$$ and Gtown/Cornell were included with Duke so as to not just single out that one school. You will be surprised at how often people say things like "whats 30k when you are going to graduate with 150k in debt anyway." Umm.. its 30k(plus interest).
In many cases, 150 v. 180 isn't that big of a difference compared to the big difference in job prospects.

And stop lumping in Duke with Gtown/Cornell. That is so pre-ITE.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:43 pm

holydonkey wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:TLS knows essentially nothing about URM admission cycles or OCI.
I know that OCI will be ranked in the 20s when it appears in US News.
:lol:

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:47 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
In many cases, 150 v. 180 isn't that big of a difference compared to the big difference in job prospects.

And stop lumping in Duke with Gtown/Cornell. That is so pre-ITE.
Umm my point is that most of the time the diff in job prospects between a Vandy and a Duke arent going to be that huge if there is any difference at all.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:19 pm

^
|
|

Tk, fix your post. You flipped the authors of the quotes when you deleted one to fit the max of 4 quotes within a quote. Now it looks like you are the reasonable one and Romo is batsh*t crazy. You have been working hard for that reputation in this thread, I wouldn't want someone else to get the credit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:21 pm

paratactical wrote:
Matthies wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: Yea, I see.. you are obviously just here to be a dbag because that is obviously in no way what I said. Plus, what you just wrote is almost exactly what I have been saying. Thanks very much for confirming that.
I'm actually one of the nicer, more freindly douchbags on here.
Yeah, tk, Matthies is nice. If you think he's a dbag, watch out.
yea i think Matthies should become an honorary inclusion into the list of very nice perseons.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:59 pm

I FOUND MY SUNGLASSES! I bet TLS did not know that until just now.

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:01 pm

retake.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:04 pm

I'm willing to bet that TLS does not know how to summarize the ending of Shutter Island in 30 words or less

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:15 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I'm willing to bet that TLS does not know how to summarize the ending of Shutter Island in 30 words or less
--ImageRemoved--

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:18 pm

doesnt count...fkn memes can summarize the innerworkings of the universe in less than 5 words

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”