I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:44 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:TLS, please be nice to be in 3 years when I make one of these threads. :oops:
"Don't go to a T19 school, become a nurse or an electrician! Their lives are all about models and bottles!"
What's T19? Are you saying you're going to the 19th-ranked school. Jesus dude....
Sarcasm fail.

And hey, the world needs ditch diggers.

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:No. It would be easy to type up a name if I were lying.
Even easier not to. Plus, once you named a school real recent grads might pop up and call you out.

Plus, how would you choose!? :o
They would call me out because they don't want their alma mater's reputation ruined. Even I could call someone out if they trashed it. That's why I'm keeping mum.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:46 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
Even easier not to. Plus, once you named a school real recent grads might pop up and call you out.

They would call me out because they don't want their alma mater's reputation ruined. Even I could call someone out if they trashed it. That's why I'm keeping mum.
Are we talking about a law school or a street gang?

Jas

New

Post by Jas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:47 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:

You are trashing ALL LAW SCHOOLS! According to you, it is almost always a terrible decision to go to law school. What does it matter admitting that you went to one school or another? And for that matter, what does it matter to us? We are mostly still going to think you're an a-hole with nothing important to say.

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:]No. It would be easy to type up a name if I were lying.

Are we talking about a law school or a street gang?[/quote]

We're talking about making sure that our resumes look as strong as possible. It's not for love of the school. Fuck those people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Who the fuck cares?

Let me expand on that.

There are people throughout the world being raped, murdered, starving, as well as suffering through numerous other sensationalistic things. None of them give a shit if you hate your 50k a year job. They also don't give a shit if you are stuck with 100k debt because you made a decision that turned out badly. Suck it up, work hard, pay back debt, life goes on. Tons of people are in debt. Tons of people work jobs they hate for shit money, minimum wage, and are dissatisfied.

This whole upper class life narrative control thing that dominates the world view of people on this forum can swallow up people who are just trying to make an informed decision, but we have to try and pull ourselves back from drifting away into complete lunacy. Life is hard, stop being fucking babies.

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Jas wrote:
You are trashing ALL LAW SCHOOLS! According to you, it is almost always a terrible decision to go to law school. What does it matter admitting that you went to one school or another? And for that matter, what does it matter to us? We are mostly still going to think you're an a-hole with nothing important to say.
If my school's real employment figures were revealed publicly, their enrollment would drop off a cliff.

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:49 pm

PhantaManta wrote:Who the fuck cares?

Let me expand on that.

There are people throughout the world being raped, murdered, starving, as well as suffering through numerous other sensationalistic things. None of them give a shit if you hate your 50k a year job. They also don't give a shit if you are stuck with 100k debt because you made a decision that turned out badly. Suck it up, work hard, pay back debt, life goes on. Tons of people are in debt. Tons of people work jobs they hate for shit money, minimum wage, and are dissatisfied.

This whole upper class life narrative control thing that dominates the world view of people on this forum can swallow up people who are just trying to make an informed decision, but we have to try and pull ourselves back from drifting away into complete lunacy. Life is hard, stop being fucking babies.
Lunacy? That's applying to law school.

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:51 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Jas wrote:
If my school's real employment figures were revealed publicly, their enrollment would drop off a cliff.
I kind of doubt that a thread started by an ANONYMOUS poster on an INTERNET forum is going to single-handedly result in the demise of a T14 school. Just saying. You may be overestimating your power a little.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:51 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:

Why on earth is the OP's school relevant, and why is his unwillingness to name it somehow proof that what he says is false? We can infer that he went to T7-14 (and probably 13-14). Tons of graduates from those schools get jobs in the 50k range. If a quarter get biglaw, and a quarter to clerkships, what in the hell else does the other half do? They are on the other mode of the bi-modal starting salary distribution. This isn't magic.

Furthermore, you can see why this is such a disappointment to the OP, since he either had a huge scholarship and had big expectations; or his parents paid for it, in which case he has gone from the upper to the middle class--also a disappointment. The story is very believable.

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:52 pm

czelede wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Jas wrote:
I kind of doubt that a thread started by an ANONYMOUS poster on an INTERNET forum is going to single-handedly result in the demise of a T14 school. Just saying. You may be overestimating your power a little.
It's also a question of my jobless friends not having their resumes thrown in the trash.

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:53 pm

sumus romani wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:No. It would be easy to type up a name if I were lying.

Why on earth is the OP's school relevant, and why is his unwillingness to name it somehow proof that what he says is false? We can infer that he went to T7-14 (and probably 13-14). Tons of graduates from those schools get jobs in the 50k range. If a quarter get biglaw, and a quarter to clerkships, what in the hell else does the other half do? They are on the other mode of the bi-modal starting salary distribution. This isn't magic.

Furthermore, you can see why this is such a disappointment to the OP, since he either had a huge scholarship and had big expectations; or his parents paid for it, in which case he has gone from the upper to the middle class--also a disappointment. The story is very believable.[/quote]

25% got BigLaw? What the blazes?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jas

New

Post by Jas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm

czelede wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Jas wrote:
EXACTLY.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm thinking Cornell.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Don't go to law school because of the prestige. Becoming a Lloyd Blankfein or a Dick Parsons after law school is extremely unlikely today.
Are you kidding me??? You are recommending working for 40-50k over working 160k for THE SAME HOURS?? Law is more "boring" compared to finance?? What world do you live in?!?! Im currently writing this post while waiting for a data warehouse query to run and give me data that i can pull into excel, write some equations and put the data in to build a spreadsheet, print it off and schedule a conference call to discuss a bunch of numbers then later right up some sequel directions to build a standardized report. No way law is significantly more "boring" than that.
I know all about Excel. I just assumed that you were working at Morgan Stanley or something sexy. If you're only making 40-50k and you get into HYS and love the law, shoot. Go. Apply. But if you do, understand that you will probably not be able to turn back. If you come out and you're working for $50k like me, you won't go crawling back to your easier Excel job because they won't take you back.

that's another problem with a JD: you become almost unemployable for anything else. Go figure.
Yea, u clearly dont know what finance is really like.. most people dont know what Finance actually is. I worked "somewhere sexy" last year and it was pretty boring as well. Only diff is that they had colorful proprietary software instead of standard excel, cognos, sequel, etc. My "excel job" isnt easy, excel is just a tool we use along with a bunch of others. And people who think you are making over 50-60k in finance w/o a masters or MBA are generally wrong(few exceptions of course.) My point is, less than 50k is what you are gonna make regardless and all the "fun" jobs make even less than that starting.
Fair enough. I guess I can make the same argument you make, except about the legal profession. I know a lot of people who work at JPM, MS, Goldman, Rothschild, Lazard; so I have a rosier view than is warranted.

I accept that I'm probably wrong, because you know what you're talking about, and I don't know.

On law, I'm telling the truth. I have no interest in wasting my time here just for the "lulz." I'm not that kind of guy. I just think it's insane that people go into law without hearing anything from 3Ls and YOUNG attorneys.[/quote]

Well just like you were lumping all Finance companies in with GS, JP, etc. You seem to be doing the same with Law schools. For plenty of people (~65%+) going to a T10 school is a great decision because they are going to get a well paid job that leads to other good jobs.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm

[quote="sumus romani

Furthermore, you can see why this is such a disappointment to the OP, since he either had a huge scholarship and had big expectations; or his parents paid for it, in which case he has gone from the upper to the middle class--also a disappointment. The story is very believable.[/quote]

I think this is the plot of Billy Madison... or maybe how Carlton of off Fresh Prince ended up if they would have done a movie 15 years after the show like they did with the Brady bunch

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:55 pm

EnriqueL wrote:

Let me expand on that.

No, lunacy is the need to constantly lament law school as the WORST thing that could possibly happen. Life isn't bubble wrapped with easy decisions, sometimes you take chances and they work out. Sometimes you take chances and they don't work out. The worst possible case scenario for most people attending law school is like a fucking tropical vacation. Gain some perspective.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:TLS, please be nice to be in 3 years when I make one of these threads. :oops:
"Don't go to a T19 school, become a nurse or an electrician! Their lives are all about models and bottles!"
What's T19? Are you saying you're going to the 19th-ranked school. Jesus dude....
Sarcasm fail.

And hey, the world needs ditch diggers.
What's wrong with lumber yards? I own two lumber yards.

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:57 pm

PhantaManta wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:

Let me expand on that.

No, lunacy is the need to constantly lament law school as the WORST thing that could possibly happen. Life isn't bubble wrapped with easy decisions, sometimes you take chances and they work out. Sometimes you take chances and they don't work out. The worst possible case scenario for most people attending law school is like a fucking tropical vacation. Gain some perspective.
Your logical ability tells me that you definitely did not get into Yale. "Gain some perspective?" I'm done with law school, while you have yet to begin. I know what it's like, you don't. Stop making yourself look ridiculous.

truffleshuffle

New

Post by truffleshuffle » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm surprised that with all these law grads who speak doom and gloom none have been ballsy enough to just take it out on the school the old fashioned way and burn one of the buildings to the ground?
1) Your swimming in debt that you will never be able to repay.
2) Your story will make the news and everyone will know and hear about the supposed scam (rather than maintaining anonymity on a website)
3) If I ran a scam on someone and made off with $10,000+ they would go after me, instead when the school "scams" them for $100,000+ (I know OP is debt free) they warn others instead of seeking retribution.
4) Prison provides three meals a day, a bed to sleep on, NO TAXES, and someone else pay's the bill.
5) If prison sounds like a horrible way to spend your life, stop bitching about the one you currently have.
Unfortunately, planning an arson attack on a building would require traits such as determination, initiative, intelligence, and careful planning, all of which they have failed to demonstrate in their lives.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:58 pm

PhantaManta wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:

Let me expand on that.

QFT.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:59 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:

Let me expand on that.

Your logical ability tells me that you definitely did not get into Yale. "Gain some perspective?" I'm done with law school, while you have yet to begin. I know what it's like, you don't. Stop making yourself look ridiculous.
You haven't even passed the bar.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:59 pm

25% got BigLaw? What the blazes?[/quote]

I take it that you think that the proper number is lower!? Or do you mean higher? I suspect the former, but I'd be interested in seeing a specific number from you. The 25% comes from what other people say on here and other message boards for C and GULC, but as you know, schools are not interested in truly informing prospective students about employment.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:Are we talking about a law school or a street gang?

Last edited by kalvano on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”