I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GATORTIM

Silver

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:01 pm

MTal wrote:
Yeah, all you need to do is "work hard" and "network".

::snicker::
or play Atari in your grandma's basement while surfin' TLS

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:21 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
MTal wrote:

My guess is this is much more likely to happen when you plop down 100k plus to attend a rancid to TTT as....ahem....some here are currently doing.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:24 pm

MTal wrote:
truffleshuffle wrote:
EnriqueL wrote: Matthies is trying to convince these kids that they should blow $150,000 of money they don't have on a legal education. This guy is a joke.
All he is saying is that if your going to go the Law school you better put forth fucking effort looking for a job and don't sit around waiting for everything to fall in your goddamn lap.

I AM A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE AND I REFUSE TO BELIEVE OTHERWISE!

Mommy and Daddy said it, so there.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:30 pm

This Thread. It just won't die...

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:31 pm

lol @ Northwestern, I wish I could go to a school named after a random direction.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:05 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:lol @ Northwestern, I wish I could go to a school named after a random direction.
lol @ Northwestern for being in the middle of the country

lol @ GULC students trolling Northwestern

lol @ WUSTL for being WUSTL

awinedarksea

New

Post by awinedarksea » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:19 pm

As someone who just took a leave of absence from a top-20 law school because of the shitty job prospects, I do not recommend going to a school outside the top 10 or 15 if it involves taking on any debt and/or you want to go into BigLaw or civil rights or similarly competitive areas of the law. The job market is MISERABLE and is going to stay that way for a long time to come. I pat myself on the back for my decision to leave law school every time I get an e-mail from the dean trying to give panic-stricken students some feeble hope of finding jobs...

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:lol @ Northwestern, I wish I could go to a school named after a random direction.
lol @ Northwestern for being in the middle of the country

lol @ GULC students trolling Northwestern

lol @ WUSTL for being WUSTL
--ImageRemoved--

OliverWendellHomie

New

Post by OliverWendellHomie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:35 am

Ahhh this thread is great. The arrogance of 0Ls is quite a spectacle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:32 pm

I lol'd.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:34 pm

I just looked at the expected 2010 NALP Data for the major firms in my target markets (San Fran Bay area+Chicago) and I must admit, I am now terrified of going to law school.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:35 pm

So don't go.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:37 pm

kalvano wrote:So don't go.
Ehh the terror can be my motivation.. it definitely shortened the list of schools Im applying to and the price I am willing to pay though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
kalvano wrote:So don't go.
Ehh the terror can be my motivation.. it definitely shortened the list of schools Im applying to and the price I am willing to pay though.
There's somebody at the door for you, he's called opportunity.

He's Chuck Norris' cousin, if you didn't know already.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 pm

MTal wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:
MTal wrote:

My guess is this is much more likely to happen when you plop down 100k plus to attend a rancid to TTT as....ahem....some here are currently doing.
Dude you went to Stetson? I see now why you gave it up...

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Because the OP/flame happened to mention the Law School Transparency Project, I want to point out that we're set to make our official information request on Monday. Schools will have 60 days to commit to disclosing full employment lists in the future, and then come next February (when schools report Class of 2010 data to ABA/NALP/USNews) we will post the information we received and hopefully shed some more light on the jobs that are out there. Someone recommended that we include average debt levels in addition to starting salaries, which I think combined would do a lot to show prospectives how much law school actually costs compared to potential earnings (for at least the first year).

If anyone's aware of surveys their school does for graduates 2/5/10-years out, we're interested in potentially documenting that as well. For at least some schools, graduates have a hard time getting work in the first year but may be doing better down the road if they apprentice up with solo practitioners in smaller markets.

G'luck to people still figuring out where (or if) to go. I had a great three years, and am happy my school is paying for me to do public interest work down in Chile with my SO after this whole bar exam business is over.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:05 pm

observationalist wrote:Because the OP/flame happened to mention the Law School Transparency Project, I want to point out that we're set to make our official information request on Monday. Schools will have 60 days to commit to disclosing full employment lists in the future, and then come next February (when schools report Class of 2010 data to ABA/NALP/USNews) we will post the information we received and hopefully shed some more light on the jobs that are out there. Someone recommended that we include average debt levels in addition to starting salaries, which I think combined would do a lot to show prospectives how much law school actually costs compared to potential earnings (for at least the first year).

If anyone's aware of surveys their school does for graduates 2/5/10-years out, we're interested in potentially documenting that as well. For at least some schools, graduates have a hard time getting work in the first year but may be doing better down the road if they apprentice up with solo practitioners in smaller markets.

G'luck to people still figuring out where (or if) to go. I had a great three years, and am happy my school is paying for me to do public interest work down in Chile with my SO after this whole bar exam business is over.
Thanks and good luck. You are an incredibly valuable asset to TLS and to the legal community.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:12 pm

General Tso wrote:
MTal wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:
MTal wrote:

Dude you went to Stetson? I see now why you gave it up...
:?:

powerlurker

New

Post by powerlurker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:25 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:
observationalist wrote:Because the OP/flame happened to mention the Law School Transparency Project, I want to point out that we're set to make our official information request on Monday. Schools will have 60 days to commit to disclosing full employment lists in the future, and then come next February (when schools report Class of 2010 data to ABA/NALP/USNews) we will post the information we received and hopefully shed some more light on the jobs that are out there. Someone recommended that we include average debt levels in addition to starting salaries, which I think combined would do a lot to show prospectives how much law school actually costs compared to potential earnings (for at least the first year).

Thanks and good luck. You are an incredibly valuable asset to TLS and to the legal community.
+1

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:37 pm

powerlurker wrote:--ImageRemoved--
I'm thinking.. 25 bucks. Okay, fine - 30 bucks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seeodywhy

New

Post by seeodywhy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:56 pm

I don't understand. Why be mean to the guy? I know some of you believe he may be lying about his credentials but come on. That is absolutley no reason to attack the man personally. Somehow we all manage to avoid lashing out at assholes all day then get behind a keyboard and grow brass balls. Stop being dicks. Some of the info in this thread is worthwhile. Without the 15 pages worth of people acting like preschoolers some people may actually get some advice about the other side of the coin.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Thirteen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1
Thanks gang. Be sure to voice your support at school if you think it's worth it for them to commit to releasing more information.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 pm

seeodywhy wrote:I don't understand. Why be mean to the guy? I know some of you believe he may be lying about his credentials but come on. That is absolutley no reason to attack the man personally. Somehow we all manage to avoid lashing out at assholes all day then get behind a keyboard and grow brass balls. Stop being dicks. Some of the info in this thread is worthwhile. Without the 15 pages worth of people acting like preschoolers some people may actually get some advice about the other side of the coin.
You tell 'em dude!!! Rock on!

So Cliff Lee to the Rangers. Thank fucking god the Yankees blew that one.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:25 am

observationalist wrote:Thanks gang. Be sure to voice your support at school if you think it's worth it for them to commit to releasing more information.
Will be sending an email to the relevant parties shortly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”