Already accepted, just got a DWI Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
capitalacq

Silver

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Post by capitalacq » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:38 pm

maybe it's just me, but I really feel like all of you are missing the biggest danger to the roads across this country-- female drivers.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:38 pm

If you're going to get upset over anything, get upset over stuff like this.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... d79d7.html
Police in Dallas and Plano will join other North Texas agencies enforcing a "no refusal" initiative to catch drunken drivers in the act over the holiday weekend.

Anyone suspected of driving while intoxicated who refuses to submit to a test measuring their blood-alcohol content will have a blood sample drawn under a search warrant, police said.
Last edited by kalvano on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:42 pm

kalvano wrote:If you're going to get upset over anything, get upset over stuff like this.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... d79d7.html
Police in Dallas and Plano will join other North Texas agencies enforcing a "no refusal" initiative to catch drunken drivers in the act over the holiday weekend.
Also Online

Anyone suspected of driving while intoxicated who refuses to submit to a test measuring their blood-alcohol content will have a blood sample drawn under a search warrant, police said.
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Yes, they forcibly take a blood sample. I can't remember if they use a blanket warrant or have a judge on speed-dial.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:07 pm

part of me says good: Definitive evidence that will confirm or diprove your actual blood alcohol level, and therefore if you are over the limit.
THe other part of me says that if they are going to do this ( forcible blood being drawn) then the police should publicalluy announce what roads they will be having checkpoints on ( not necessairly the exact location, but roads) so the public will be warned and informed- as a way to even things out, so to speak

Anyways: It is pretty much common knowledge that the major hoilidays ( memoiral day, 4th of july, labor day, and the days before and after thanksgiving/ new years) are the peak times for increased police presence and checkpoints ( rolling or stationary). If you cant curb your dangerous habit- then you have a serious issue IMO. ON other days, drinking and driving is a gamble. You may get caught, you may not. I dont condone it, but I understand .that people make mistakes and have lapses in judgement.

Unfortunately, people die because of stupidness and lapses of judgment. DWI and injuries/ fatalities that result from a DWI accident is the same as accidentally killing someone when you only intended to beat them up badly. its MURDER and Attempted Murder, even if you are the only person involved in teh acciedent, and IMO should be treated as such if an accident occurred. IF not, then the penaltiies and monitary fines and increases are acceptable, if not a bit on the generous side ( to the person with a DWI)

OP if you are still checking this... admit you are sorry, go to an AA meeting or two, and make necessary changes to you life. You were lucky, no one was hurt. so in the end I think you will be fine, and will become a lawyer. Next time you go out, carry an extra $40 in your wallet ( behind your school id) to use as cab fare.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:15 pm

northwood wrote:part of me says good: Definitive evidence that will confirm or diprove your actual blood alcohol level, and therefore if you are over the limit.
THe other part of me says that if they are going to do this ( forcible blood being drawn) then the police should publicalluy announce what roads they will be having checkpoints on ( not necessairly the exact location, but roads) so the public will be warned and informed- as a way to even things out, so to speak

Anyways: It is pretty much common knowledge that the major hoilidays ( memoiral day, 4th of july, labor day, and the days before and after thanksgiving/ new years) are the peak times for increased police presence and checkpoints ( rolling or stationary). If you cant curb your dangerous habit- then you have a serious issue IMO. ON other days, drinking and driving is a gamble. You may get caught, you may not. I dont condone it, but I understand .that people make mistakes and have lapses in judgement.

Unfortunately, people die because of stupidness and lapses of judgment. DWI and injuries/ fatalities that result from a DWI accident is the same as accidentally killing someone when you only intended to beat them up badly. its MURDER and Attempted Murder, even if you are the only person involved in teh acciedent, and IMO should be treated as such if an accident occurred. IF not, then the penaltiies and monitary fines and increases are acceptable, if not a bit on the generous side ( to the person with a DWI)

OP if you are still checking this... admit you are sorry, go to an AA meeting or two, and make necessary changes to you life. You were lucky, no one was hurt. so in the end I think you will be fine, and will become a lawyer. Next time you go out, carry an extra $40 in your wallet ( behind your school id) to use as cab fare.
I've driven home on Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve, and every single time I've narrowly avoided multiple accidents with obvious drunks on the road.

BaronDetroit

New

Post by BaronDetroit » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Is there any reason to tell the school anything about this incident when you have been convicted of nothing?

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 pm

BaronDetroit wrote:Is there any reason to tell the school anything about this incident when you have been convicted of nothing?
There most certainly is. The duty to update the school on changes to character and fitness is ongoing. Since most applications ask for arrests, charges, citations, etc... I'm gonna take a stab at it and say that OP definitely needs to tell the school about it. No question about it.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:41 pm

cartercl wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:Is there any reason to tell the school anything about this incident when you have been convicted of nothing?
There most certainly is. The duty to update the school on changes to character and fitness is ongoing. Since most applications ask for arrests, charges, citations, etc... I'm gonna take a stab at it and say that OP definitely needs to tell the school about it. No question about it.
yup

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:31 pm

Thirteen wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:You do know you could have killed someone? What's your problem. I don't get dirtbags like you. Kill yourself but don't put innocent people in danger.
Making a mistake doesn't necessarily make OP a dirtbag.
A mistake? Why are you using such a vague term. rape could be a mistake. jay walking could be a mistake. we're talking specifically about dwi and committing DWI makes OP a dirtbag. A dirbag that doesn't care about anyone but himself. Hopefully someone kills him before his selfish behavior hurts an innocent person.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:41 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:You do know you could have killed someone? What's your problem. I don't get dirtbags like you. Kill yourself but don't put innocent people in danger.
A mistake? Why are you using such a vague term. rape could be a mistake. jay walking could be a mistake. we're talking specifically about dwi and committing DWI makes OP a dirtbag. A dirbag that doesn't care about anyone but himself. Hopefully someone kills him before his selfish behavior hurts an innocent person.
idiot.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:43 pm

How can rape be a mistake?

"Oops, I slipped and stuck my pee-pee in her vajayjay!"

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:13 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:28 am

kalvano wrote:How can rape be a mistake?

You're confusing mistake with accident. A mistake is something you shouldn't have done. Accident is something you didn't mean to do.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:33 am

newyorker88 wrote:

You're confusing mistake with accident. A mistake is something you shouldn't have done. Accident is something you didn't mean to do.
You're fucking retarded.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:27 am

paratactical wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:

You're fucking retarded.

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:44 am

paratactical wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:

You're fucking retarded.
Misinterpretation is very possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:46 am

r2b2ct wrote: Misinterpretation is very possible.
Huzzah. Someone else wants to get on the stupid train.

NY88 said rape can be a mistake but a DUI can't and then proceeded to define "mistake" in the above quoted fashion. Please tell me I don't have to explain why that's moronic.

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:49 am

paratactical wrote:

NY88 said rape can be a mistake but a DUI can't and then proceeded to define "mistake" in the above quoted fashion. Please tell me I don't have to explain why that's moronic.
Calm down. I only read that post.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:52 am

r2b2ct wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Why do people say "calm down" online? It's not really possible to tell if someone is aggravated or not.

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:54 am

paratactical wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Why do people say "calm down" online? It's not really possible to tell if someone is aggravated or not.
If someone insults someone irrationally, then they probably aren't calm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:55 am

newyorker88 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
So intentionally violating one of the most sacred rights of another human being is okay, but putting other people on the road at a marginally higher risk of harm is something that is inexcusable. We can forgive the rapist, but not the guy who drove home with a .09 and didn't hurt anybody.

You are really on to something here.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:57 am

r2b2ct wrote: If someone insults someone irrationally, then they probably aren't calm.
I insulted you because you agreed with a stupid person because you, yourself, were too stupid to read a conversation before commenting. Maybe you can't tell someone to go fuck themselves without letting your blood pressure rise, but I can and you should go fuck yourself.

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:04 am

paratactical wrote:
r2b2ct wrote: If someone insults someone irrationally, then they probably aren't calm.
I insulted you because you agreed with a stupid person because you, yourself, were too stupid to read a conversation before commenting. Maybe you can't tell someone to go fuck themselves without letting your blood pressure rise, but I can and you should go fuck yourself.
Calm down.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”