Loyola or Kent? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
illini10

New

Loyola or Kent?

Post by illini10 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:29 pm

I need some quick advice. I am currently enrolled at Kent Full ride 1st year, 25k next two years with a 3.25 stip (half if I fall below). Loyola has just contacted me and gave me 25k per year with a 3.0 stip. Overall I like Loyola better and from what I understand a 3.0 at Loyola is much easier to keep than a 3.25 at Kent ( I have never had a GPA lower than 3.6).
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Re: Loyola or Kent?

Post by dukelawguy144 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:24 pm

illini10 wrote:I need some quick advice. I am currently enrolled at Kent Full ride 1st year, 25k next two years with a 3.25 stip (half if I fall below). Loyola has just contacted me and gave me 25k per year with a 3.0 stip. Overall I like Loyola better and from what I understand a 3.0 at Loyola is much easier to keep than a 3.25 at Kent ( I have never had a GPA lower than 3.6).
both schools are barely mediocre. But loyala may be better

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 am

illini10 wrote:I need some quick advice. I am currently enrolled at Kent Full ride 1st year, 25k next two years with a 3.25 stip (half if I fall below). Loyola has just contacted me and gave me 25k per year with a 3.0 stip. Overall I like Loyola better and from what I understand a 3.0 at Loyola is much easier to keep than a 3.25 at Kent ( I have never had a GPA lower than 3.6).
I was looking at Loyola. Have you been to the campus/visited? What do you think about both campus/areas?

illini10

New

Post by illini10 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 pm

I liked Loyola's overall feel better and it's in a much nicer area of town. Kent is very easy to get to across the street from Union Station but not in an area you would want to hang out after school.

To : dukelawguy144 - dick comment, I plan on working in Chicago so these schools work for me!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:38 pm

illini10 wrote:I liked Loyola's overall feel better and it's in a much nicer area of town. Kent is very easy to get to across the street from Union Station but not in an area you would want to hang out after school.

To : dukelawguy144 - dick comment, I plan on working in Chicago so these schools work for me!
I have interest in Loyola. If you don't mind, can you PM me anything that your remember about the campus (cleaniness, library, age of ficilities, people, etc)?

I'd really appreciate it. Good luck with your decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:43 pm

I currently go to Loyola. PM if you have any questions.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:33 am

I'm sorry, are we talking about Loyola in New Orleans or Chicago? Are they the same school and just different campuses?

I have interest in the New Orleans Loyola.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:47 am

Loyola did the same for me. I picked Loyola. I like the school a lot better and the scholarship stipulations are much more forgiving.

Also, I think Loyola is a touch cheaper which means the small difference in money is actually even a little smaller.

Eliyahu7

New

Post by Eliyahu7 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:39 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:both schools are barely mediocre. But loyala may be better
Don't this listen to this loser. I would highly recommend Kent, however both schools are on about equal standing in terms of prestige and job opportunities, or at least that's what I gather (and I am hardly an expert.) If you think one will be a better fit than the other, then that's the one you should go for. At this stage, I wouldn't let money be your primary factor of consideration.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

illini10

New

Post by illini10 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm leaning to Loyola - but I keep thinking what about IP and it's only offered at Kent.

towkthi

New

Post by towkthi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Loyola has IP offerings. I'm pretty sure they host some sort of patent fair every August. Check out the link below:

--LinkRemoved--

jelly

New

Post by jelly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Kent's IP reputation totally crushes Loyola's. I also think employers and people in general are more impressed by Kent.

legal10101

Bronze

Post by legal10101 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:55 pm

I have to agree if you are going to pursue IP, Kent is the path to take.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:04 pm

This is clearly anecdotal, but I've worked at two Chicago BigLaw firms, and at both places I met a couple summer associates from Kent (these were firms where most summer associates come from the T14) and I don't think I ever met any summer associates that went to Loyola. I agree with the above poster that Kent seems to have a better reputation than Loyola.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 am

I don't know which of these mediocre schools places better in the Chicago market, but whichever does...

That is the answer. There is only one relevant question: Will I get a job when I leave here? Your best chance to answer that in the affirmative is to go to the best school for placement. Normally, I would just say the best school, but since you are committed to a market and they're both "eh" schools, go with whichever your research indicates are getting their kids jobs.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:28 pm

GreenHeels wrote:I don't know which of these mediocre schools places better in the Chicago market, but whichever does...

That is the answer. There is only one relevant question: Will I get a job when I leave here? Your best chance to answer that in the affirmative is to go to the best school for placement. Normally, I would just say the best school, but since you are committed to a market and they're both "eh" schools, go with whichever your research indicates are getting their kids jobs.
Don't listen to Douche Lord.

Visit the campuses and see where you'll be the most content.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Eliyahu7 wrote:
dukelawguy144 wrote:both schools are barely mediocre. But loyala may be better
Don't this listen to this loser. I would highly recommend Kent, however both schools are on about equal standing in terms of prestige and job opportunities, or at least that's what I gather (and I am hardly an expert.) If you think one will be a better fit than the other, then that's the one you should go for. At this stage, I wouldn't let money be your primary factor of consideration.
Mediocre is generous. They are TTT's.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:54 pm

I love how there are people on this site that only come on here to talk crap about schools. Seriously how pathetic is your life that the only kick you get is going on a board and talk crap about things you obviously know nothing about.

From what I have heard(and I am not an expert) Kent s great for IP.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:I love how there are people on this site that only come on here to talk crap about schools. Seriously how pathetic is your life that the only kick you get is going on a board and talk crap about things you obviously know nothing about.

From what I have heard(and I am not an expert) Kent s great for IP.
I'd pick kent of loyola for IP but you'll still lose jobs to Wisconsin grads.

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Yes and UVA grads will probably lose jobs to Yale grads, thats just life. But going to Kent with a big scholly will not be the end of the world. The OP will prob get a good job with little debt and will most likely end up ok in life.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:Yes and UVA grads will probably lose jobs to Yale grads, thats just life. But going to Kent with a big scholly will not be the end of the world. The OP will prob get a good job with little debt and will most likely end up ok in life.
I'm not sure about good job, probably not. But like you said, no debt, end up ok in life.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:Yes and UVA grads will probably lose jobs to Yale grads, thats just life. But going to Kent with a big scholly will not be the end of the world. The OP will prob get a good job with little debt and will most likely end up ok in life.
Where does your information come from? Have you entered the law market today? It is not a pretty sight for TTT people. Hell, I'm at t14 and 60% (that's over half, for those playing at home) have no summer employment right now.

Noone sitting at less than the top of their class at a t14 needs to be thinking that as long as they graduate, there will be a good job for them. That the schools are mediocre is not unrestrained bashing designed to make us feel better; it is a realistic assessment of their quality relative to the range of schools out there and the rates at which they're placing kids in jobs.

Sorry, it's a tough time out there. Not a time for delusion or a group buck-up-everything's-fine session in the face of cold reality.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”