Trajectory: What's It Worth? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ebl1014

Bronze

Trajectory: What's It Worth?

Post by ebl1014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:53 am

How much does GPA trajectory matter? I'm sure that different variations affect the answer to this question (and since I really care about my own) so I'll post my own.
LSDAS GPA: 3.47
Freshman Year LSDAS: 2.36
Soph: 3.75
Junior: 3.97
Senior: 3.8

Obviously an addendum is worth submitting.... but can anyone shed any insight as to how much a positive trajectory like this is actually worth (how much it will actually affect how schools look at my GPA)? Should I consider applying to schools whose median entering GPA is ______ much higher than a 3.47?

swc65

Silver

Re: Trajectory: What's It Worth?

Post by swc65 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:02 pm

An upward trend might help a little, but it's not going to be a deciding factor. The typical college student has an upward trend from freshman to senior year. Yours is more dramatic than most though. Do you have a specific reason? Something outside of school that affected your performance? That would help if you do.

I had a 3.45 when I applied last cycle and I still had a successful cycle. What's your LSAT? That is going to make all the difference.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:02 pm

Apply wherever you want. It can't hurt.

An upward trend really doesn't mean a whole lot, but it's better than a downward trend.

ebl1014

Bronze

Post by ebl1014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Almost lost a parent during my freshman year due to a serious addiction problem. LSAT is a 164 (June 2010) and I'm going to retake in October.

pkrtbx

New

Post by pkrtbx » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:34 pm

I know the LSDAS GPA is what really matters, but I am in a similar situation and wonder, are adcomms really willing to look at it any other way? My LSDAS GPA right now is 3.62ish compared to the 3.9 that I've maintained since I matriculated full-time at my 4 year institution because of dual-enrollment classes from high school. I can probably bring it up to high 3.7x or even 3.8 by the time I app/graduate, but will they be willing to look at the difference there and give me some credit?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Even major improvements don't usually mean all that much. It's worth an addendum- but "I got drunk and partied too much" probably won't sway them significantly.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:41 pm

pkrtbx wrote:I know the LSDAS GPA is what really matters, but I am in a similar situation and wonder, are adcomms really willing to look at it any other way? My LSDAS GPA right now is 3.62ish compared to the 3.9 that I've maintained since I matriculated full-time at my 4 year institution because of dual-enrollment classes from high school. I can probably bring it up to high 3.7x or even 3.8 by the time I app/graduate, but will they be willing to look at the difference there and give me some credit?

If you can bring you cumulative GPA across all schools up to a 3.8 by the time you graduate then it won't matter at all.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:43 pm

ebl1014 wrote:Almost lost a parent during my freshman year due to a serious addiction problem. LSAT is a 164 (June 2010) and I'm going to retake in October.

I am sorry to hear that. I hope things turned out for the best.

I think a good addendum will give you some boost. I suppose it depends on the schools philosophy though. Are they just trying to rise in the rankings? Or, are they legitimately trying to assess applicants' ability to do well in school? I think most people on TLS tend to think it is all about the numbers and rankings.

You should definitely study hard and retake that LSAT. If you can jump up to 170+ you might have a good shot at some excellent schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”