US News Rankings - Online Premium Edition Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
angiej

Silver

US News Rankings - Online Premium Edition

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:26 am

Is it worthwhile? Did any of you who have already gone through the application process find it particularly useful? Is it worth the $14.95 online edition fee - did you also purchase it in print?

http://static.usnews.com/multimedia/grad/tour.htm

Teoeo

Silver

Re: US News Rankings - Online Premium Edition

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:28 am

honestly the only thing that the print version has that i care about is peer assessment which can be found http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present anyway

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:33 am

Teoeo wrote:honestly the only thing that the print version has that i care about is peer assessment which can be found http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present anyway
Wow, this looks like it has a ton of info! Grazie!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:07 am

angiej wrote:
Teoeo wrote:honestly the only thing that the print version has that i care about is peer assessment which can be found http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present anyway
Wow, this looks like it has a ton of info! Grazie!

No problem :lol:

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:10 am

People read this nonsense year after year and things rarely *change... and even when they do change it's usually insignificantly.

:?
Last edited by kk19131 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:14 am

kk19131 wrote:People read this nonsense year after year and things rarely chance... and even when they do change it's usually insignificantly.

^ This. Will my life really be different if I wake up tomorrow and my school is ranked ten spots higher? No. Employers think what they think. Judges think what they think. People on the ground think what they think.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:22 am

ze2151 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:People read this nonsense year after year and things rarely chance... and even when they do change it's usually insignificantly.

^ This. Will my life really be different if I wake up tomorrow and my school is ranked ten spots higher? No. Employers think what they think. Judges think what they think. People on the ground think what they think.
I totally agree. I care less about rankings, I was just thinking of using it as a way to hekp me put together my schools to apply to list.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:20 am

tell me your GPA / LSAT and career goals and I'll make you a list ^_^

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:26 am

Teoeo wrote:tell me your GPA / LSAT and career goals and I'll make you a list ^_^
titcr

Honestly, for all of the crap on TLS there is tons of knowledge. If you put in the patience to learn about TLS quirks you won't need any other resources

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:38 am

Teoeo wrote:tell me your GPA / LSAT and career goals and I'll make you a list ^_^
That would be awesome. Can I PM you once I have my lsat score? My gpa is 3.8 (lsdas) but I don't expect to score better than 15ish. I want to go somewhere with a good trial advocacy program with clinical opportunities and hands on experience. I'm also interested in animal law but I know my lsat won't touch lewis and clark. I would also like to stay in the midwest and will likely apply part time because I'm broke and have never been without an income.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:48 am

angiej wrote:
That would be awesome. Can I PM you once I have my lsat score? My gpa is 3.8 (lsdas) but I don't expect to score better than 15ish. I want to go somewhere with a good trial advocacy program with clinical opportunities and hands on experience. I'm also interested in animal law but I know my lsat won't touch lewis and clark. I would also like to stay in the midwest and will likely apply part time because I'm broke and have never been without an income.
People are going to tell you AT LEAST the following:

1. You have a great GPA so don't waste it
2. Re-take and/or hit 160+

And I agree. With a 3.8 and a 165 you're looking at T20-25 with a bit of money or somewhere in the T50 w/ more money and possibly a full-ride in there.

With a 3.8 and a 160 you're probably looking at money at T50-100 and full or close-to full at TTT. If you know where you want to live/practice, and you're worried about money, a well-respected local TTT is something to think about. For example, William Mitchell in St. Paul (actually T1 now for the first time, I believe, in its history) is fairly well-respected in the MN and if you do well there you have a shot at good jobs without much debt holding you back.

That said, if you go down the TTT full-ride path pay close attention to strings attached to the scholly and find out if they section-stack...

Good luck!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:07 am

angiej wrote:
sure you can PM me, although things like animal law should be non issues when deciding where to go.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:56 am

Anyone else unable to see the 2011 peer assessment scores for the top 51? It just brings me back to the homepage.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Core wrote:Anyone else unable to see the 2011 peer assessment scores for the top 51? It just brings me back to the homepage.

http://www.prelawhandbook.com/2011_top_50

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Core wrote:Anyone else unable to see the 2011 peer assessment scores for the top 51? It just brings me back to the homepage.
There are a lot of bad links on that page...

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

You have to click on the newest rankings, and then look in the right column. I'm not sure if this will work, but here it is:

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:23 pm

sumus romani wrote:

You have to click on the newest rankings, and then look in the right column. I'm not sure if this will work, but here it is:

Got it. Thanks :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:47 pm

Slimpee wrote:
angiej wrote:

And I agree. With a 3.8 and a 165 you're looking at T20-25 with a bit of money or somewhere in the T50 w/ more money and possibly a full-ride in there.

With a 3.8 and a 160 you're probably looking at money at T50-100 and full or close-to full at TTT. If you know where you want to live/practice, and you're worried about money, a well-respected local TTT is something to think about. For example, William Mitchell in St. Paul (actually T1 now for the first time, I believe, in its history) is fairly well-respected in the MN and if you do well there you have a shot at good jobs without much debt holding you back.

That said, if you go down the TTT full-ride path pay close attention to strings attached to the scholly and find out if they section-stack...

Good luck!
Thanks! I'm totaly up for retaking in October - so who knows. I'm looking at Michigan State University, IU Indy and IU B. I would love Notre Dame, but not sure that's possible. For me, $ trumps Ranking.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:05 pm

Does anyone know the sample size for the assessment scores?

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:17 am

angiej wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
angiej wrote:

Good luck!
Thanks! I'm totaly up for retaking in October - so who knows. I'm looking at Michigan State University, IU Indy and IU B. I would love Notre Dame, but not sure that's possible. For me, $ trumps Ranking.
I think if you got into a school like ND and took Michigan State with $$$ I'd have to shoot you. Sometimes the debt is worth it. (Unless you somehow love Lancing)

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:28 am

Teoeo wrote:I think if you got into a school like ND and took Michigan State with $$$ I'd have to shoot you. Sometimes the debt is worth it. (Unless you somehow love Lancing)
:lol: I understand completley! I can't pay it, my credit is bad and I have some old charged-off accounts so I'm pretty sure I can't get loans. I only have one account that is past 90 days, which I only recently discovered and am working at getting it paid off. So I suppose that would help me with gradplus loans??? I mean does it matter how bad your credit used to be (and thus how terrible your score is) so long as you are no more than 90 days past due on anything? Should I be applying for loans now just so I will know what I can get?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paz

New

Post by paz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:02 am

Slimpee wrote:
angiej wrote:

Good luck!
William Mitchell is T2 (T-98th) FYI.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:06 am

paz wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
angiej wrote:

Good luck!
William Mitchell is T2 (T-98th) FYI.
I always thought it would be cool to go there since I have a very close relative with the same name. Maybe that merits a scholarship? Lol

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:34 am

angiej wrote:
Teoeo wrote:I think if you got into a school like ND and took Michigan State with $$$ I'd have to shoot you. Sometimes the debt is worth it. (Unless you somehow love Lancing)
:lol: I understand completley! I can't pay it, my credit is bad and I have some old charged-off accounts so I'm pretty sure I can't get loans. I only have one account that is past 90 days, which I only recently discovered and am working at getting it paid off. So I suppose that would help me with gradplus loans??? I mean does it matter how bad your credit used to be (and thus how terrible your score is) so long as you are no more than 90 days past due on anything? Should I be applying for loans now just so I will know what I can get?

Hrm, I am not sure, once you get in you can worry about it ^_^, if you can hit 165+ you can get a fullride at a decent place.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:47 am

Teoeo wrote:
angiej wrote:

Hrm, I am not sure, once you get in you can worry about it ^_^, if you can hit 165+ you can get a fullride at a decent place.
Wow that would be so amazing. Sometimes I wonder about taking the lsat after undergrad when only work is taking up my time and not school plus work plus extracurriculars, etc. But I really don't want to wait and I need to defer my undergrad stafford loans until after law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”