transfer credits Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wpw114

New

transfer credits

Post by wpw114 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:32 pm

hey,

i am currently in an undergraduate at an ivy league college. i am thinking of taking a course at another university next summer. my school states that as long as i get a C or better in the course, the course will be recorded as a Pass on my transcript and will not affect my GPA.

However, when applying to law school, will it say the name of the college the transfer course was taken at? also, will I personally have to report the grade i got for the class, even though it is not reported on my official transcript?

Thanks.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: transfer credits

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 pm

If you are taking classes at another university, and it's before you are awarded your first bachelor's degree, then you need to send a transcript from that school to LSAC as well. They will then factor whatever grade that transcript has for that class into your GPA.

http://www.lsac.org/applying/lsdas-requ ... cripts.asp
A copy of these transcripts, along with a summarization of all undergraduate work, will be forwarded with the law school report to the law schools to which you apply.
So yes, law schools will see the name of the institution where you took that class, and its letter grade will be factored into your GPA.

hsprophet

Bronze

Re: transfer credits

Post by hsprophet » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:41 pm

You will need to have a transcript from the "other" university sent directly to LSAC. That grade will be factored into your gpa.

Even if your "main" university accepts grades on transfers and factors them into their gpa, LSAC will strip those grades from your gpa unless they have a transcript from the "other" university. Which, by the way, ALL transcripts MUST be sent directly from all colleges/universities to LSAC no matter what, even if the credits were transferred.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”