What should I do in college? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Precognition

New

What should I do in college?

Post by Precognition » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm an incoming freshman at Hofstra University. That's right, I'm not even in undergraduate school yet.

But I am excited nevertheless. I was a horrible student in high school right around the end of sophomore year when I rapidly started improving. Unfortunately for me it was too late to pull of a 1st tier school, but luckily enough I was admitted to Hofstra University, a very decent college(at least, by my standards). But law school offers me the opportunity to redeem myself and gives me a chance to prove myself worthy enough of a T14 graduate school.

Problematically, I filled out my FAFSA application very late and haven't received my final financial statement yet.

As an entering freshman, is there any advice on how to prepare my self for law school admissions?

I know most of you will say it's too early, but as a reformed delinquent I discovered that having astronomically high ambitions can get you very far in this world, even if it's not as far as you fantasized yourself getting.

jdstl

Bronze

Re: What should I do in college?

Post by jdstl » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Get good grades, and have as much fun as possible=meeting as many people as possible.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Party. A lot.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:34 pm

change to a school where you can get A+s, if Hofstra doesn't do that, and get a 4.4 GPA.

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Be serious, do your reading, bang some hot chicks, get good GPA, and three years later prepare for the most intense studying gauntlet of your life up until that point.

Oh yeah, and take a lot of classes with a few specific professors for the LORs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:51 pm

gwuorbust wrote:change to a school where you can get A+s, if Hofstra doesn't do that, and get a 4.4 GPA.
This is so credited. Schools with A+'s = huge advantage

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:01 am

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:08 am

vandalvideo wrote:the most intense studying gauntlet of your life up until that point.
<facepalm>

It's not THAT bad.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:09 am

Fuck a lot of women. Not just one woman.

Take classes in computer science and philosophy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:21 am

acrossthelake wrote:Have fun, enjoy life, develop and grow as a person, learn a lot of things, make sure this is what you really want, make sure to get as close to a 4.0 as you can, prep proper for the LSAT(I recommend prepping summer before junior year, taking it in September, personally), and get to know at least 2 professors well enough for a good rec letter.
TICR minus when to take the LSAT. I suggest June before senior year as this gives you a month in the summer to concentrate on solely LSAT and not midterms.

And make sure you take internships and job stuff seriously. Too many people dig themselves into deep, deep, caves by putting all their eggs in one basket with law school. Then, come graduation time, they can't even afford to consider other options. Focusing on your major by getting involved with research, summer internships, etc. will not only provide you another viewpoint on life and future options, it will also give you something cool for law schools to look at when your application is reviewed.

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:22 am

Don't date a girl and take classes with her. THAT IS ALL

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:23 am

Drink a lot and try not to get AIDS.

momo_08

New

Post by momo_08 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:29 am

Learn how to balance school/work/party EARLY!

Also something to remember...the grades you get your first semester will affect the rest of your four years because you can either take it easy and just maintain your 4.0 or you can bust your butt to bring up your 2.0 to a 3.0 (which is MUCH harder to do than you might think and may not even be possible in those 4 years). Another thing to consider, doing LSAT prep during your regular semesters may be too much of a load. I spent every single night in the library from 2-11 during my fall quarter senior year just studying for classes and prepping for the LSAT. It SUCKED! Prep during summer!

Have fun, do internships/work, explore your options and get to know people who could be useful for networking later!

:)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:30 am

rad law wrote:Drink a lot and try not to get AIDS.
wins

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:35 am

calicocat wrote:
rad law wrote:Drink a lot and try not to get AIDS.
wins
+1.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:39 am

Miniver

Bronze

Post by Miniver » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:46 am

Last edited by Miniver on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mirrored

New

Post by Mirrored » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:09 am

You should pick easy classes and get good grades. Few schools will seriously examine your course load, they will instead look at your gpa and your in major gpa.

You should begin LSAT studying during your sophomore summer before your junior year, take a cheap $600 class and pay for it by working any $10 an hour job for as long as you need to. Take that class and then do self study for the year, and save up to take yet another class for your junior year end. Take the LSAT in June after you're confidently scoring above 170. Then apply to the top 14 schools, using any financial aid necessary. Then go to the school of your choosing.

This plan, of course, depends on you taking college seriously and remaining focused on the goal.

You may wish to pick three activities. I recommend:

1. One Volunteer Group. Lead projects.
2. One Law Group. Consider assisting any law related interest group. Student membership at ABA and active involvement. Tap your alumni and local network to find good letters of rec.
3. One Flavor Group. Something uniquely you and interesting. When spotted on a resume it should raise positive comment.

---

Beyond that, this basically depends on you picking the easiest possible classes and maxing out your GPA. Since many undergraduates are too busy partying to study, you can beat them easily.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:40 am

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:54 am

acrossthelake wrote:Eh the cheap class isn't necessary. Also, while taking easy classes for a 4.0 might be your sure ticket into law school, there's something to be said about making sure you actually learn stuff in college (you know, for the sake of being educated).
All of this is credited. Focusing on grades because you want to go to law school is ridiculous. You should treat school however it comes naturally and start sorting things out once you're a junior or so.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:14 am

Make sure to join a fraternity and assume a crucial leadership role, such as historian or philanthropy chair. Holding this kind of position demonstrates leadership and is considered a very strong "soft factor," virtually guaranteeing you admission at an elite law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:29 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Make sure to join a fraternity and assume a crucial leadership role, such as historian or philanthropy chair. Holding this kind of position demonstrates leadership and is considered a very strong "soft factor," virtually guaranteeing you admission at an elite law school.
+1. I LOL'd

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:36 am

rad law wrote:try not to get AIDS.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 am

Precognition wrote:as a reformed delinquent I discovered that having astronomically high ambitions can get you very far in this world, even if it's not as far as you fantasized yourself getting.
--ImageRemoved--

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 am

GATORTIM wrote:
rad law wrote:try not to get AIDS.
Does this mean you two have kissed and made up?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”