When to withdraw?? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bissey

Bronze

When to withdraw??

Post by bissey » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:54 pm

I have paid the seat deposits for 2 schools. They both assume I will be attending. I haven't completely made my decision yet, so I don't want to withdraw from either. Is there a "you should withdraw by this date at the latest" kind of thing or is it just up until the first day of class? I know I should do it ASAP, but I want to take my time.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: When to withdraw??

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:56 pm

As soon as possible.

The schools will probably call you soon.

anthropologieaddict

Bronze

Post by anthropologieaddict » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Yeah and keep in mind schools get lists of people that have deposited at more than one school, so they're going to know you are not 100% committed. (if this matters, I am not sure, just something to keep in mind.)

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:13 pm

bissey wrote:I have paid the seat deposits for 2 schools. They both assume I will be attending. I haven't completely made my decision yet, so I don't want to withdraw from either. Is there a "you should withdraw by this date at the latest" kind of thing or is it just up until the first day of class? I know I should do it ASAP, but I want to take my time.
=( think of all the poor TLSers in waitlist threads

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:21 pm

jayn3 wrote:
bissey wrote:I have paid the seat deposits for 2 schools. They both assume I will be attending. I haven't completely made my decision yet, so I don't want to withdraw from either. Is there a "you should withdraw by this date at the latest" kind of thing or is it just up until the first day of class? I know I should do it ASAP, but I want to take my time.
=( think of all the poor TLSers in waitlist threads
Out of respect for the people that are waiting on their dream school, which may be your second choice, as well as an admissions staff that is trying to get their class set ASAP, let it go. Taking your time is understandable, but dude, come on- it is almost 1/2-way through June. Just make a decision already.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:30 pm

thanks for all the replies, but no one answered my question (if there is a date). anyone know?

thanks.

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:28 pm

there are a ton of douchebags on TLS.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Some schools also have rules about double-deposits by a certain date for scholarship recipients. They will receive a list of people who are double-deposited (I think in mid-June) and they could revoke scholarships after that point.

Choose soon.

anthropologieaddict

Bronze

Post by anthropologieaddict » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Pless wrote:
JCougar wrote:
anthropologieaddict wrote:
JCougar wrote:Still hanging around. Hasn't been any whiff of any activity at all so far. I'm guessing if there's going to be any activity, it's going to be in the next week or two -- after that, things pretty much start settling in.
Just wondering why you think this? Especially since there has been little movement on other schools waitlists yet, which would limit any withdraws from Illinois until this happens.
It's just a guess, but now that most schools' second deposit deadlines have passed, and after the double deposit report is issued in a week or so, I'm not sure there will be many more spots opening up anywhere en masse after that.
The multiple deposit report (with names) was available on May 15th this year, schools have had this information for a couple of weeks now.

Above a quote from Associate Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid at Illinois, bottom line, don't worry about a date and just make your choice, knowing they're are likely hundreds of people waiting for a spot at the school you choose not to attend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PrayingforHYS

Bronze

Post by PrayingforHYS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:21 am

I actually just read an article the other day on students "double depositing" at UG schools, but I here's an example of it for law schools as well

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you really need to make up your mind as soon as possible -- you're not possibly taking a spot from someone on a waitlist, you almost certainly are. In fact, as soon as you withdraw at one of the schools, it's likely (assuming they're not over-committed) that that same school will make an offer to someone on their waitlist

Just put yourself in their shoes -- hoping to hear back from their dream school while others double deposit and take spots. I'm not picking on you or trying to single you out...in fact, it's the aggregate damage done by this practice (shockingly, you're not the only one who does thsi) that often screws over a lot of people on waitlists

Again, I'm not coming at you, but if you still haven't made your mind by the middle of June, then I'm not sure what you've been doing for the past few months. If nothing else, create your own thread with "school X with $$ vs school Y sticker" and you'll get plenty of feedback...

Just withdraw asap so that someone else can have that spot.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:17 am

You should pick Illinois with $30k from your list of schools.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:09 pm

I'm not sure what you are waiting for to make a decision. What is going to change between now and the absolute deadline? Take a day off, sit down, give it some thought, and decide. Then be over with it. No sense of holding off.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:13 pm

assuming neither school has a rule against it, take your time. see if you can get more scholarship money. be sure. don't let anyone rush you. so much can change in a few months, now that the money is spent, i don't see the harm in waiting until the very last minute, like, week before classes start.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:30 pm

There is a statistical correlation done where the longer you wait on making a decision, the worse you'll do in 1L.

So if you want to fuck up your first year of law school, just keep waiting for no real reason.

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:36 pm

sometimes i don't even get the point of deposits. No one is phazed by a deposit in order to secure a spot for now that they potentially might not take in the future, so in a way these schools just using it as an excuse to squeeze more money i guess. Such a shame.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 pm

lsatextreme wrote:sometimes i don't even get the point of deposits. No one is phazed by a deposit in order to secure a spot for now that they potentially might not take in the future, so in a way these schools just using it as an excuse to squeeze more money i guess. Such a shame.
it is generally applied against tuition. it is a disincentive to hold your options open.

onemansthought

New

Post by onemansthought » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:23 pm

The LSAC sends a formal list out in early/mid June with all deposits

I know a few guys that have received a call/email already about the same issue, informing them to make your choice immediately.

I understand you are weighing your options
I would expect you will get a call or email soon from one of the schools

The fact that alot of other people have a seat deposit in at other schools are are hoping for the call off waitlist is also a thought for this thread. I am sure many will/would switch if they get the chance to improve their school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:28 pm

lsatextreme wrote:sometimes i don't even get the point of deposits. No one is phazed by a deposit in order to secure a spot for now that they potentially might not take in the future, so in a way these schools just using it as an excuse to squeeze more money i guess. Such a shame.
The schools don't pocket any money on it unless you forfeit a deposit. If you matriculate, you get it back in the form of credit towards your account.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:55 pm

It can't be that difficult to choose between schools. Unless you have a valid reason, multiple deposits is most uncool. Pick one and get on with it.

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:06 pm

thanks for the replies. i haven´t gotten a chance to decide because i had to leave the country a month ago and haven´t been back to do any real thinking. i did just withdraw, so it´s all good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”