Best LOR Threads / Advice? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawCurious

New

Best LOR Threads / Advice?

Post by LawCurious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:12 am

Hi all,

I'm gearing up to ask for my LORs this month and I was wondering what the best advice is on choosing people, asking, following up, etc? Are there threads in the past that have been really helpful to people? (Yes, I've already played around with Search, but I'm also looking for your opinion on what advice has been the most useful to you.)

To kick it off, here is some advice I've gotten that sounds pretty good:

- Write a letter to your LOR writer thanking them and explaining to them why you think their LOR would be useful to their application. This can help guide them in the right direction, to make sure that their LOR fits into the narrative of your application.

- Provide your LOR writer with a copy of certain application materials -- resume, PS (maybe?), etc

- Try to get a range of LORs from writers who can speak to different elements of your qualifications -- classroom, extracurricular, work experience. But, make sure that you have at least one very strong academic letter.

Thanks in advance!

LawCurious

New

Re: Best LOR Threads / Advice?

Post by LawCurious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Afternoon bump. Maybe I'll get some takers now that lunch is over, at least on the East Coast.

LawCurious

New

Post by LawCurious » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:16 am

One... more... bump. Then I'll give up.

SouthernMagnolia

New

Post by SouthernMagnolia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:29 pm

I've heard that it's best to directly ask potential LOR writers if they feel comfortable writing a positive recommendation for you. It's better to hear from them that would not feel comfortable writing a favorable LOR than to actually have a negative one about you floating around. And it's good form to provide LOR writers with pre-stamped and addressed envelopes.

I'm just starting the process myself, but this seems like useful advice. Hope I helped!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”