Is ILRG a credible source? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rdcws000

Bronze

Is ILRG a credible source?

Post by rdcws000 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Actually, I should ask, is it the most credible source for post law school employment statistics ?

I've been looking through it and I noticed that the schools are reporting the statistics. Obviously they have an interest in making the numbers look good, but they can't be flat-out lying can they?

Comments please, especially if you know of a very credible source for these statistics.

Background: I'm seriously considering a T4 school that is generally well respected in a major city. I am cognizant of the troubled economy, but I want to get to the bottom line of employment prospects as opposed to the extremes of blind optimism vs. Doom and Gloom.

nealric

Re: Is ILRG a credible source?

Post by nealric » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:30 pm

I've been looking through it and I noticed that the schools are reporting the statistics. Obviously they have an interest in making the numbers look good, but they can't be flat-out lying can they?
They probably aren't lying, but they are probably using faulty data and/or stating it in a misleading way. I think the bottom line from a T4 is that you will probably start out in a very low paying job. From there, you may or may not work your way up to some pretty decent wage. Whether this makes sense depends on debt load and other options.

rdcws000

Bronze

Re: Is ILRG a credible source?

Post by rdcws000 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:41 pm

nealric wrote:
They probably aren't lying, but they are probably using faulty data and/or stating it in a misleading way. I think the bottom line from a T4 is that you will probably start out in a very low paying job. From there, you may or may not work your way up to some pretty decent wage. Whether this makes sense depends on debt load and other options.
I appreciate your thoughts, and I'm sure in many cases you are correct. What I am really trying to get at though is some facts to backup the commonly held views on TLS, of which there are many. For instance, if on ILRG my T4 says 80% are employed within 9 months of graduation, and median salary is 79,000 (private) and 46,000(public), where are they getting the data and how far from the truth is it?

Are there any other sources people use to get to some good stats?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”