UC Davis or Pepperdine ($$$$$$) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OpIvy

New

UC Davis or Pepperdine ($$$$$$)

Post by OpIvy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:41 pm

Howdy folks,

I'm in a bit of a pickle, albeit a sweet one. Pepperdine is offering $40k a year (provided I stay in the top-third of the class) while UC Davis will give me $21k for the first year and $12k each year thereafter. (There is also a chance of being offered more money at Davis if I place well.)

I am an East-Coaster (out-of-state) who loves the Northwest. I will most likely live in Portland when I grow up, but I have friends in Los Angeles who I'd love to spend three years with. Really, I'm undecided about where I'd like to live after graduation. I hate the idea of debt, but am getting used to the notion of taking out substantial loans. I don't know what kind of law I want to practice, but would probably like to work with small companies or non-profit organizations.

I visited both campuses and believe that Davis is more conducive to studying. However, I am involved in extracurricular pursuits aside from grad school (I am a professional guitar player and sponsored skateboarder) and I think the LA area has much to offer in the area of arts and entertainment.

Put simply, I'm torn. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

bk1

Diamond

Re: UC Davis or Pepperdine ($$$$$$)

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:45 pm

UCD. I would think that UCD has a better chance in Oregon and I would be wary of scholarship stipulations (especially top third).

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Keep in mind that the scholarship stipulation at Pepperdine is statistically unlikely to be met, even though it would be a lot of money. I would take Davis here.

OpIvy

New

Post by OpIvy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Thanks for the response, guys. I've spoken with some knowledgeable people about the stipulation and I agree with your conclusion.

Hypothetically, if Pepperdine agreed to remove the top-third requirement, would your thoughts about the matter change?

Thanks again for the input.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:46 pm

OpIvy wrote:Thanks for the response, guys. I've spoken with some knowledgeable people about the stipulation and I agree with your conclusion.

Hypothetically, if Pepperdine agreed to remove the top-third requirement, would your thoughts about the matter change?

Thanks again for the input.
I don't think so. I have no facts to back this up but I have a feeling that UCD has more pull in Oregon than Pepperdine and since you want to work in Oregon that UCD is the right call.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Tough call... I had a similar decision (T2 full-ride offers vs. small scholarship at King Hall), and I chose King Hall. BTW: If you haven't yet visited LA, it is a festering pile of shit IMO.

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:49 am

Pepperdine will not remove the requirement.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:34 am

Pretty sure people in Davis play guitar and skate if that helps.

OpIvy

New

Post by OpIvy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:07 pm

I don't think Davis offers this type of skateboarding: --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OpIvy

New

Post by OpIvy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Pepperdine did not remove the stipulation. Anyone else out there have any advice?

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Malibu has a much higher COL than Davis. I know that you might be down to take on some debt, but keep in mind that your scholly will pay tuition but it probably won't pay rent.

Have you had the chance to visit either school? Davis is a really laid back town but Malibu is one of the most beautiful places you'll ever visit. I suggest the visit because Pepperdine's ultra-conservative atmosphere might turn some people off.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:55 pm

Yeah ... I can't imagine nekkid skaters* are readily tolerated over at Pepperdine:

See you at Davis.

EDIT*: Apologies for the nudie pic.
Last edited by ozarkhack on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:04 pm

I would choose UCD.

You probably will not have much time to do anything else besides studying your first year.

Plus, as a previous poster mentioned, you may not be happy in Pepperdine's conservative environment.

What kind of music do you play?

Having played guitar at a high level, I can tell you that the LA music scene is very difficult to break into.

Lots of talented musicians I know are playing in cover bands.

Anyways, that is my two cents.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OpIvy

New

Post by OpIvy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm

athenian wrote:Malibu has a much higher COL than Davis. I know that you might be down to take on some debt, but keep in mind that your scholly will pay tuition but it probably won't pay rent.

Have you had the chance to visit either school? Davis is a really laid back town but Malibu is one of the most beautiful places you'll ever visit. I suggest the visit because Pepperdine's ultra-conservative atmosphere might turn some people off.
I visited both schools and though very different, I could be happy at either.

I already lived for two years in Bondi Beach in Australia, so I wouldn't feel like I'm missing out on something new by not attending Pepperdine. And though I'm pretty much a radical (off the left-right spectrum) I worked for a Republican State Senator for a couple years and conservatives don't bother me much (anymore).

The COL of both schools are actually similar. I'm very good at living frugally and finding (quality) deals, so I figure the difference would be about $5k or $7k in Davis's favor.

God, this is ridiculous. I ought to decide and be over with it.

One thing tempting about Davis is the prospect trading my car for a bike. Oh, to not have a car...

Regarding the guitar, I play all sorts of styles but am particularly fond of flamenco (especially because its easier to get gigs as a solo act playing esoteric music). But I figure it'll have to take a back seat while I attend law school. One attractive feature about Pepperdine is that thy specialize in entertainment law. They have a very well-connected faculty.

Still undecided. :?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:49 pm

OpIvy wrote:
athenian wrote:Malibu has a much higher COL than Davis. I know that you might be down to take on some debt, but keep in mind that your scholly will pay tuition but it probably won't pay rent.

I already lived for two years in Bondi Beach in Australia, so I wouldn't feel like I'm missing out on something new by not attending Pepperdine. And though I'm pretty much a radical (off the left-right spectrum) I worked for a Republican State Senator for a couple years and conservatives don't bother me much (anymore).

The COL of both schools are actually similar. I'm very good at living frugally and finding (quality) deals, so I figure the difference would be about $5k or $7k in Davis's favor.

One thing tempting about Davis is the prospect trading my car for a bike. Oh, to not have a car...

Regarding the guitar, I play all sorts of styles but am particularly fond of flamenco (especially because its easier to get gigs as a solo act playing esoteric music). But I figure it'll have to take a back seat while I attend law school. One attractive feature about Pepperdine is that thy specialize in entertainment law. They have a very well-connected faculty.

A couple things:

1.) Davis is a lot cheaper than Malibu, so I'm not sure where you're getting your COL data. Sac is even cheaper yet.
2.) Roughly 92% of 0Ls want to do entertainment law. Roughly 0.01% of lawyers end up wanting to do it/actually doing it. Bear in mind your career goals are what they are right now because you haven't gone to law school. You probably won't end up wanting to do/actually doing entertainment law either. Even still, Davis has a very active Sports and Entertainment Law Society for the few students who still want to do this after learning about other kinds of law.

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:15 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
OpIvy wrote:

A couple things:

1.) Davis is a lot cheaper than Malibu, so I'm not sure where you're getting your COL data. Sac is even cheaper yet.
2.) Roughly 92% of 0Ls want to do entertainment law. Roughly 0.01% of lawyers end up wanting to do it/actually doing it. Bear in mind your career goals are what they are right now because you haven't gone to law school. You probably won't end up wanting to do/actually doing entertainment law either. Even still, Davis has a very active Sports and Entertainment Law Society for the few students who still want to do this after learning about other kinds of law.
TITCR

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”