Maybe a bit preliminary... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
it'sjustme

New

Maybe a bit preliminary...

Post by it'sjustme » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:54 am

As the title says, this question may be a bit preliminary, but is it actually possible your undergraduate institution could hurt you in your application process?

Let me explain a bit - currently I'm enrolled at a very small, private school in Western New York, hardly known nationally, and not incredibly difficult to gain admission to. Obviously I have law school aspirations (thus why I'm asking), and would like to know a bit more while I still have time to make a switch, as I'm currently entering my fourth semester at this school. To be honest, I love the school I'm at now - the atmosphere, the student body, the professors, the accessibility, etc. - so it would be a tough decision to go elsewhere.

Again, a bit preliminary, but any advice I receive would mean quite a lot to me.

Thank you for reading!

NoleinNY

Silver

Re: Maybe a bit preliminary...

Post by NoleinNY » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:00 am

it'sjustme wrote:As the title says, this question may be a bit preliminary, but is it actually possible your undergraduate institution could hurt you in your application process?

Let me explain a bit - currently I'm enrolled at a very small, private school in Western New York, hardly known nationally, and not incredibly difficult to gain admission to. Obviously I have law school aspirations (thus why I'm asking), and would like to know a bit more while I still have time to make a switch, as I'm currently entering my fourth semester at this school. To be honest, I love the school I'm at now - the atmosphere, the student body, the professors, the accessibility, etc. - so it would be a tough decision to go elsewhere.

Again, a bit preliminary, but any advice I receive would mean quite a lot to me.

Thank you for reading!
Hobart?

The consensus seems to be that your school doesn't matter too much unless it's HYP... Maybe a shady online school might be given a double take...

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:05 am

NoleinNY wrote:
it'sjustme wrote:As the title says, this question may be a bit preliminary, but is it actually possible your undergraduate institution could hurt you in your application process?

Thank you for reading!
Hobart?

The consensus seems to be that your school doesn't matter too much unless it's HYP... Maybe a shady online school might be given a double take...
Hilbert, actually.

The school is a perfect fit for me - reasonable tuition, Jesuit institution (not huge on religion, I enjoy the tight-knit atmosphere that comes with it, for the most part), very close to home, etc. - so, like I said, it'd be a real disappointment if I'd be "forced" into a switch, so to speak.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:10 am

it'sjustme wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:

Thank you for reading!
Hobart?

Hilbert, actually.

The school is a perfect fit for me - reasonable tuition, Jesuit institution (not huge on religion, I enjoy the tight-knit atmosphere that comes with it, for the most part), very close to home, etc. - so, like I said, it'd be a real disappointment if I'd be "forced" into a switch, so to speak.

you wouldn't be forced to switch, you'd be choosing to, because you think it might help your chances to go somewhere else. But, it won't. Problem solved.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:32 pm

If you are happy where you are then don't transfer. Your undergraduate institution means next to zero in the application process. Schools like Yale, Harvard, and Princeton may be given a incredibly tiny bump for some schools. That's about it.

Enjoy college, keep your GPA up, and you will be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 pm

traehekat wrote:If you are happy where you are then don't transfer. Your undergraduate institution means next to zero in the application process. Schools like Yale, Harvard, and Princeton may be given a incredibly tiny bump for some schools. That's about it.

Enjoy college, keep your GPA up, and you will be fine.
This is just what I was going to say.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:52 pm

If you want to go to law school, get the highest possible GPA even if it means taking easy classes or an easy major. Then retake the LSAT if you don't score high the first time. School doesn't really matter.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:03 pm

I believe the word you're looking for is "premature." And the answer to your question is no. Study your ass off for the LSAT and you'll be fine.

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:08 pm

These are exactly the responses I was hoping to hear; thank you all very much for easing this concern of mine - it means a lot to me!

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:09 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
I believe the word you're looking for is "premature."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”