"One California Law School Bucks the Recession" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Grad09

New

"One California Law School Bucks the Recession"

Post by Grad09 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Found this article in California Lawyer Magazine. Its an interesting read.

I'm not posting this to degrade anyone or bash a tier 4 or 3 school. I find the conflicting opinions and ideas between TLS and this article to be intriguing. Maybe Tier 4's are not as bad as they seem to be on TLS? Or, maybe they are good at publishing and raising profits as the expense of confused, jobless college graduates?

One thing is for sure: Law school is GGU's business, and business is goooooood.

--LinkRemoved--

SaintClarence27

Silver

Re: "One California Law School Bucks the Recession"

Post by SaintClarence27 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 pm

Grad09 wrote:Found this article in California Lawyer Magazine. Its an interesting read.

I'm not posting this to degrade anyone or bash a tier 4 or 3 school. I find the conflicting opinions and ideas between TLS and this article to be intriguing. Maybe Tier 4's are not as bad as they seem to be on TLS? Or, maybe they are good at publishing and raising profits as the expense of confused, jobless college graduates?

--LinkRemoved--

Hey, here's a puff piece about a TTTT! They're doing great, the piece says. Granted, it says NOTHING about what kind of employment graduates are finding. Just that the school is T4, and another school moved from T4 to T2! Also, that they charge a ridiculous amount for tuition - close to the same as top 14 schools.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:47 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Grad09 wrote:Found this article in California Lawyer Magazine. Its an interesting read.

--LinkRemoved--

Hey, here's a puff piece about a TTTT! They're doing great, the piece says. Granted, it says NOTHING about what kind of employment graduates are finding. Just that the school is T4, and another school moved from T4 to T2! Also, that they charge a ridiculous amount for tuition - close to the same as top 14 schools.
+1

A fluff piece if I've ever read one.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:25 pm

The article quotes the Dean more or less implicitly admitting job prospects are horrible:
"Students at GGU have always scrambled to make their way," says Drucilla Stender Ramey, who last August became dean of the GGU School of Law after a four-year stint as executive director of the National Association of Women Judges in New York. She had also worked for many years as the executive director and general counsel of the Bar Association of San Francisco. "These students aren't on the traditional law school gravy train," says Ramey. "They have the initiative it takes to succeed in these times."

She says GGU's students are often the first to go to graduate school in their families, or even the first to have gone to college. "There isn't that sense of entitlement," she says. "GGU students worked hard to get where they are."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”