Does being an Immigrant help? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hankypanky

New

Does being an Immigrant help?

Post by hankypanky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:43 am

Last edited by hankypanky on Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Re: Does being an Immigrant help?

Post by thatsnotmyname » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 am

It probably does not help unless you can articulate in your personal statement why you are a unique candidate because you were an immigrant. Even then your numbers (which are awesome) are far more important than your personal statement.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:52 am

It may help some, but it will not help nearly as much as a URM boost (which seems odd... since one of the main purposes of AA/URM boosts is to add a rich diversity of experiences to the classroom, and you would be able to do that with your immigrant background, but oh well.) However, I agree with the above poster that you should highlight it in a PS or a DS. Talk about some potential barriers or obstacles you overcame as a result of it (if any) and stress the value you would bring to the incoming class next year.

Hammurabi

New

Post by Hammurabi » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:10 pm

In agreement with the posters above, it won't give you boost on it's own. But being from caucasus your bound to have had a unique life experience that can be incoporated into a personal statement. I wrote about experiencing a supplies blockade + energy crisis in one particular state (less than 1% of the country's energy needs was in production). But imho, numbers still determined the outcome of my cycle.

edit: immigrated to the states when I was 7 as well.

hankypanky

New

Post by hankypanky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Yeah I figured I would incorporate that into my PS. I think the fact that my early childhood was consumed by a war/massive poverty/economic blockade/rationed water/energy should be a sure-winner. I'm hoping the war aspect might fulfill their "unique" appetite. But do you think Harvard would give my application enough attention to read it thoroughly with a 3.7 GPA -- especially since next year is going to be a touch application cycle?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hammurabi

New

Post by Hammurabi » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:25 pm

hankypanky wrote:Yeah I figured I would incorporate that into my PS. I think the fact that my early childhood was consumed by a war/massive poverty/economic blockade/rationed water/energy should be a sure-winner. I'm hoping the war aspect might fulfill their "unique" appetite. But do you think Harvard would give my application enough attention to read it thoroughly with a 3.7 GPA -- especially since next year is going to be a touch application cycle?
yeah, incorporated the above, but luckily i was near the capital so I missed being caught in the crosshairs of the war. I think your LSAT is high enough for Harvard to give your application a serious read. but I also think that based on your softs/experience you have a better shot at Yale. Just my gut feeling though, others will surely disagree.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:41 pm

hankypanky wrote:Yeah I figured I would incorporate that into my PS. I think the fact that my early childhood was consumed by a war/massive poverty/economic blockade/rationed water/energy should be a sure-winner. I'm hoping the war aspect might fulfill their "unique" appetite. But do you think Harvard would give my application enough attention to read it thoroughly with a 3.7 GPA -- especially since next year is going to be a touch application cycle?

I think your GPA is low for both Harvard and Yale, but you still have an outside chance. If you are only applying to those two schools, don't be surprised if you don't get into either. I do think you'd have a very good chance at the T4 and down schools though. If you write a good PS/DS it should give you a small boost.

also, how do you know next year is going to be a tough application cycle?

hankypanky

New

Post by hankypanky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:12 pm

because the economy hasn't picked up and all those 20-something year olds who lost their jobs have nothing better to do than to go back to school.

it's been getting harder and harder every year for a few years now. And at best, it seems like it's going to be as difficult as it was last year -- if not worse.

hankypanky

New

Post by hankypanky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:04 pm

bump for some more feedback

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

februaryftw

Bronze

Post by februaryftw » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:47 pm

I don't think it helps, especially since you've been here since you were 7. To be honest, you are a long shot at both Yale and Harvard, though we'd have to know more about your application to say for sure (is 174 your only take? is that your exact GPA? any other softs/work experience? elite undergrad or graduate work?). Even with a 180 a 3.7 is going to have trouble at Yale and Harvard.

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hankypanky

New

Post by hankypanky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:36 pm

so..i've been busy. but ur prolly right, the 3.7 is holding me back. do you guys think i should wait a year until my senior year grades are incorporated into the calculation (during which time i can work/save up some money, or do a fulbright -- or study for the GMATs and do a joint MBA/JD program at Columbia or Harvard)?
Last edited by hankypanky on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:43 pm

The 3.7 will only hold you back from HYS. Getting into CCN is no lock, but it is very possible and I think you'll get into at least one of them.

None of your softs are that impressive, sorry to break it to you. They'll like to see your experience and leadership, but nothing you've done is that impressive. And I'm not knocking you; my resume looks very similar to yours... Student senator, president of the student body, Greek life, moot court, poly sci/philosophy majors, an editor on the school newspaper, political internships, etc. The bottom line is there are thousands of students just like you and I with similar experiences in undergrad.

Craft a good PS and DS, polish your resume, and apply early. You should get into some T6s and some T14s with good money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hankypanky

New

Post by hankypanky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:The 3.7 will only hold you back from HYS. Getting into CCN is no lock, but it is very possible and I think you'll get into at least one of them.

None of your softs are that impressive, sorry to break it to you. They'll like to see your experience and leadership, but nothing you've done is that impressive. And I'm not knocking you; my resume looks very similar to yours... Student senator, president of the student body, Greek life, moot court, poly sci/philosophy majors, an editor on the school newspaper, political internships, etc. The bottom line is there are thousands of students just like you and I with similar experiences in undergrad.

Craft a good PS and DS, polish your resume, and apply early. You should get into some T6s and some T14s with good money.
no i know which is why im thinking about waiting until my senior year grades come (which will bump my gpa to a 3.8ish) whatta u think?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 pm

hankypanky wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The 3.7 will only hold you back from HYS. Getting into CCN is no lock, but it is very possible and I think you'll get into at least one of them.

no i know which is why im thinking about waiting until my senior year grades come (which will bump my gpa to a 3.8ish) whatta u think?
You'll be competitive at Harvard and maybe Stanford and you'll be a near-lock at CCN. But don't underestimate the power of applying early.

schnoodle

New

Post by schnoodle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 pm

well... i'm a normal white guy. and i'm 3.83/176, and i got shut out of y/h. agree w/ above posters. i don't think being an immigrant can overcome your #s... not trying to take a dump on you or anything. but i would have expected to get accepted at one of them in past times, but this year not so much. next year? also not so much if i'm betting on it.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:50 pm

schnoodle wrote:well... i'm a normal white guy. and i'm 3.83/176, and i got shut out of y/h. agree w/ above posters. i don't think being an immigrant can overcome your #s... not trying to take a dump on you or anything. but i would have expected to get accepted at one of them in past times, but this year not so much. next year? also not so much if i'm betting on it.
I'm giving a normal white guy with a 3.83/176 a less than 50% shot at Yale, especially if you went straight from undergrad and have nothing exciting on your resume. Your rejection at Harvard surprises me a bit though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hankypanky

New

Post by hankypanky » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:00 am

romothesavior wrote: and apply early. You should get into some T6s and some T14s with good money.
apply early like November 1st?

andreea7

Bronze

Post by andreea7 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:33 am

hankypanky wrote:Ok -- So I've been searching for some discussions on this issue and, surprisingly, have found very little information. I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I know it ultimately depends on WHERE you're originally from (i.e. Hispanic and African immigrants vs. EU citizens). But...

Would a person who came to America at the age of 7 from...let's say...the Caucasus...(yes, I get it, people from the Caucasus are CAUCASIAN)...have an edge over others? It's not URM but it's not your typical white either, no?

3.7 GPA
174 LSAT

Aiming at Harvard/Yale. Any discussion on how being an immigrant effects the admissions process, especially for Harvard and Yale, would be helpful.

Thank you.
You've been here since the age of 7 so I think beyond making this part of your PS you won't get much of a boost. I came to the U.S. at 23 -- similar numbers to yours, LSAT a bit higher and it did not give me a boost, as far as I can tell beyond allowing me to write a good personal statement. But you probably have a good chance at Harvard with your numbers, regardless of where you came from.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:14 pm

Not in arizona.

newrich

New

Post by newrich » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
Not in arizona.
LMAOOOOOO good call

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hankypanky

New

Post by hankypanky » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:06 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
Not in arizona.
if you're an illegal immigrant*

you're welcome

hankypanky

New

Post by hankypanky » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:07 pm

correction, GPA will be around a 3.76

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”