in DEEP TROUBLE, PLEASE HELP!! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
splittsville

New

Re: in DEEP TROUBLE, PLEASE HELP!!

Post by splittsville » Sun May 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Unitas wrote:
splittsville wrote:At my school, and most schools I was accepted to, transcripts from the undergrad school are due by September 1. I believe this is the ABA requirement. So unless your summer classes are very slow about getting grades, you should be fine. My understanding of the way most schools work is once the credits are completed, that is when the degree is shown as awarded on your transcript. They won;t let you walk across a stage and get the shiney pice of paper, but you do have have graduated. My advice, don't try to hide anything. Call your academic adviser at both schools to see what must be done.
Most schools want them before then - but required before you attend if I recall correctly.

Don't call the LS until after you figure out when you are going to graduate and be able to send the final transcript in. Otherwise the call will be incredibly stupid. You should have an answer by Thursday or Friday from your UG. Don't waste a call to the law school to sound like an idiot. Wait until you know what is going to happen and then tell them and make sure it is ok "get it finished sometime this week". Calling the LS now wouldn't inform them of anything, because you don't have a plan. Get a plan this week then call. You won't be past any deadlines.
Thanks for clearing up my post. I would call the law school to see when they need the transcript, but don't mention any probs. Then see what requirements your undergrad school needs to show a graduation by then.

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:15 pm

PKSebben wrote:How do you fail an undergrad class? Serious question.
i was stupid and lazy after i got my offer....quite honestly.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun May 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Not showing up for tests? Not turning in final papers? Idk

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sun May 30, 2010 8:19 pm

James Bond wrote:
Off topic, but I once had a teacher that took off 5 points from the final grade for every missed class after 4, it was in the syllabus. 5 or 6 people in the class failed when they found out.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:21 pm

James Bond wrote:
Right, this is my question. Did you fail to do the work or do a shitty job on the work?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:23 pm

PKSebben wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Right, this is my question. Did you fail to do the work or do a shitty job on the work?
i was late on the biggest paper and the late penalty killed me. I thought i would do good enough on the final to overcome that. The prof instead pwned me on the finals and failed me at the end.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun May 30, 2010 8:30 pm

PKSebben wrote:
James Bond wrote:
I think even a "shitty job" gets you a passing grade. I know some really big morons who somehow pass their classes. Failing to do the work or showing up is the more likely way

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:07 pm

I hate to add to your woes, but it appears your caps lock key is broken too.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:13 pm

You mean the shift key. Way to fail at that fucking burn. You suck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun May 30, 2010 9:16 pm

mod fight! MOD FIGHT!

--ImageRemoved--

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 30, 2010 9:21 pm

See, I told you my post was the best post OP.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Shuddup, A'nold.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun May 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Ya seriously. I paid good money to watch this mod fight

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 30, 2010 9:44 pm

Haha.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon May 31, 2010 4:44 am

This thread is full of misinformation. The 3 things you need to do are:
1) Contact your undergrad's registrar's office and find out the degree conferral date at the end of summer. This is usually listed in your academic calendar as well. This is not the same as the last day of classes or finals, but it's probably a few days after that.
2) Contact your law school and find out when they require your final transcript showing completion of a bachelor's degree. This is most likely the first day of orientation or a few days before that.
3) Assuming there's enough time between 1) and 2), find out the fastest way to send a final transcript to the law school, and be ready to request it the day that your degree posts.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Mon May 31, 2010 5:32 pm

I know at some universities (such as Mizzou) you can complete your degree with online classes if you aren't on campus. Assuming you "leave" this summer, you can push through a class in 6 weeks (minimum). you can also file for graduation EARLY with sort of a promise you finish. I actually received all my paperwork and walked before I finished two classes.

That said, while you would have transcripts showing fulfillment, you won't have a completed document in file.

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:36 am

I know someone who didn't finish his undergrad summer classes until two weeks AFTER starting classes for law school. His situation was a little different. He wasn't planning on finishing undergrad until fall semester, but found out he could during the summer, and decided to go ahead and start law school that year. Of course this was all approved by the law school ahead of time.

Ask your registrar when final transcripts will be available if you finish in the summer. Then call the law school and tell them you might not finish your undergrad until after summer classes. Let them know when they can expect the final transcript. They can tell you if that will work or if something else needs to be worked out to prove you finished undergrad in time.

It's not uncommon for someone to finish undergrad the summer before 1L. Relax.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:57 am

airfrance87 wrote:
I seriously doubt just b/c the school has only two GRADUATION dates that this means you aren't GRADUATED when you finish in August.
Graduation is nothing but a ceremony, the important part of the degree is getting the credits done. If your credits are done in August, you should have a graduation/completion date of August. When I got my Master's degree I didn't even attend graduation, and didn't get the diploma for two years because BU is apparently incompetent when it comes to mailings. The degree is complete when the classes are complete.
oh WOW, if that is the case...you know wut, i am gonna talk to the advisor or dean wutever this week as early as possible to see if that can be a way out of this mess.

This is not correct at all. The degree might be "done" when the classes are done, but you need to wait for it to be conferred before it is official. This happens in a process: The trustees (or similar group) have a summary vote on the class and the registrar does it, across the board, on "graduation" day. I don't know what your law school wants, but I know that mine explicitly requests a transcript that shows the date of conferral. You should find out.

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:19 pm

not so good news guys.

What the staff told is that my degree will only be conferred in November. The only thing they can do in august is sending out a letter to law school saying this guy has completed all the requirement and is eligible for graduation. The adviser said I have to ask law school to see if this is ok.

so basically, with the petition of my failed course pending, I think I will have to be truthful and honest with the law school and deal with the consequence. So guys, could you help me think of a way to say this to law school and maybe (if a miracle happens) keep my offer....somehow?

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 pm

mjcaccio wrote:
airfrance87 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
A'nold wrote:I seriously doubt just b/c the school has only two GRADUATION dates that this means you aren't GRADUATED when you finish in August.
Hello? The greatest overlooked advice on this entire thread?
i am confused on that too. Like if i only get my graduate certificate in november...will law school accept my august transcript?
Graduation is nothing but a ceremony, the important part of the degree is getting the credits done. If your credits are done in August, you should have a graduation/completion date of August. When I got my Master's degree I didn't even attend graduation, and didn't get the diploma for two years because BU is apparently incompetent when it comes to mailings. The degree is complete when the classes are complete.
My sister just walked at her grad ceremony, yeah- she didn't have all of her grades yet. So, to reiterate, the ceremony is bullshit. The crap you get on stage is just a roll of paper with a ribbon on it.

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:31 pm

airfrance87 wrote:not so good news guys.

What the staff told is that my degree will only be conferred in November. The only thing they can do in august is sending out a letter to law school saying this guy has completed all the requirement and is eligible for graduation. The adviser said I have to ask law school to see if this is ok.

so basically, with the petition of my failed course pending, I think I will have to be truthful and honest with the law school and deal with the consequence. So guys, could you help me think of a way to say this to law school and maybe (if a miracle happens) keep my offer....somehow?
guys any help on this?

thanks in advance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Only one person so far understands anything about anything.

No, the degree is not done when the credits are done. My degree was done 2/3 of the way through my Junior year, but I rolled on with electives because I didn't not apply for graduation.

A degree is conferred. Many schools do this every semester/quarter, but it sounds like OP's only does it in the Spring and Fall. Even if they did it in the summer it is unlikely they would have it done in time for classes to start as it takes two-four weeks at many campuses.

I only write this to make sure everyone applied for graduation since it seems to be an unknown issue for most. Maybe certain undergrads do it differently, but every single one I've ever been familiar with (3? 4? Maybe not representational) does it the way described above. Finish units then apply for graduation and then get a degree.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:50 pm

^ My UG forced us to graduate when we had completed all our credits; no application. That's why I put off a freshman writing course until first semester senior year. I don't think this is common, though.

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:53 pm

airfrance87 wrote:not so good news guys.

plz help me!!

thanks so much!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:05 am

booyakasha45 wrote:^ My UG forced us to graduate when we had completed all our credits; no application. That's why I put off a freshman writing course until first semester senior year. I don't think this is common, though.
They tend to do this at public schools where students frequently take more than 4 or even 5-6 years to graduate, such as the UCs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”