in DEEP TROUBLE, PLEASE HELP!! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
airfrance87

New

in DEEP TROUBLE, PLEASE HELP!!

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:16 pm

i am in some deep shit now. I need your help. Please give me suggestions.

I was lucky enough to get into a t20 school in feburary. But since i slacked off really badly and a few weeks ago i found that i actually failed one of my last courses and now i am half credit short on graduation. I understand i have to graduate to attend school this sept. I am thinking of finishing a summer course and graduate in november. But then my offer will probably be revoked.

is there any way out of this????

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: in DEEP TROUBLE, PLEASE HELP!!

Post by romothesavior » Sun May 30, 2010 6:20 pm

airfrance87 wrote:i am in some deep shit now. I need your help. Please give me suggestions.

I was lucky enough to get into a t20 school in feburary. But since i slacked off really badly and a few weeks ago i found that i actually failed one of my last courses and now i am half credit short on graduation. I understand i have to graduate to attend school this sept. I am thinking of finishing a summer course and graduate in november. But then my offer will probably be revoked.

is there any way out of this????
Why would taking the class over the summer result in a November graduation? Can't you graduate in August?

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Why would taking the class over the summer result in a November graduation? Can't you graduate in August?
in the school i am going to right now, it is either june or november graduation. no august.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Not sure if this is the case with your school, but usually prof can change grades up until a semester or two (maybe more) after a particular class has ended. Might want to put your energy into this option for as long as it takes or until you approach a deadline that eliminates this option. All you need is one yes.

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:45 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:Not sure if this is the case with your school, but usually prof can change grades up until a semester or two (maybe more) after a particular class has ended. Might want to put your energy into this option for as long as it takes or until you approach a deadline that eliminates this option. All you need is one yes.
i am definitely trying that. The prof is a complete hardass though. He said the only option is to petition and the process is ongoing right now. I dont like my chances. I told the prof about how important this is and he still doesn't give a damn. Man i am really desperate now. This is very bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:48 pm

Go back in time and develop a work ethic.

trkmantis2

New

Post by trkmantis2 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Hmm, is wrong to just ask the law school for a deferral?

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:01 pm

trkmantis2 wrote:Hmm, is wrong to just ask the law school for a deferral?
do you think they will ask me about this episode after a year if i get a deferral? I mean will they care if i graduated late for a few months?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 30, 2010 7:08 pm

I seriously doubt just b/c the school has only two GRADUATION dates that this means you aren't GRADUATED when you finish in August.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:11 pm

airfrance87 wrote:
do you think they will ask me about this episode after a year if i get a deferral? I mean will they care if i graduated late for a few months?
they will if it's because you failed a class.

trkmantis2

New

Post by trkmantis2 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:15 pm

I don't think most schools will care as long as (1) you disclose, and (2) your GPA doesn't drop significantly. But every program has different polices on deferrals, so I'd suggest exhausting every option at your undergrad, then contacting the law school.

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:18 pm

trkmantis2 wrote:I don't think most schools will care as long as (1) you disclose, and (2) your GPA doesn't drop significantly. But every program has different polices on deferrals, so I'd suggest exhausting every option at your undergrad, then contacting the law school.
by disclosing, do you mean disclose next year when i submit final transcript? or disclose when i ask for a deferral?

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:18 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
airfrance87 wrote:
they will if it's because you failed a class.
arghhh damn...i am so dead.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun May 30, 2010 7:20 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Oh yea...this trouble's deep

voice of reason

Bronze

Post by voice of reason » Sun May 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Talk to the appropriate academic advisor or dean at your school (likely the "Dean of Students"). They deal with screwups like this every year. As has been noted in the thread, the appropriate remedy is to take a summer class and then get your degree with an effective date of August. It's hard to believe your school would screw you over with a November date.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:23 pm

airfrance87 wrote: arghhh damn...i am so dead.
you might be. I'd get in touch with the law school ASAP and figure out what your options are.

is there any way you could get the professor to change your grade?

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:23 pm

voice of reason wrote:Talk to the appropriate academic advisor or dean at your school (likely the "Dean of Students"). They deal with screwups like this every year. As has been noted in the thread, the appropriate remedy is to take a summer class and then get your degree with an effective date of August. It's hard to believe your school would screw you over with a November date.
thanks, i think i will do asap. Do you think they can offer me much help? and do you think an effective august graduation date would be ok with the law school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:25 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
you might be. I'd get in touch with the law school ASAP and figure out what your options are.
i am scared shitless to do that. Do you think i should? i mean they might revoke the offer right away.

airfrance87 wrote: is there any way you could get the professor to change your grade?
the only thing left i have for that damn prof is sucking his dick now. I seriously tried everything and explained how important this is. He just wouldn't change his mind and now it is being petitioned.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:27 pm

airfrance87 wrote: is there any way you could get the professor to change your grade?
the only thing left i have for that damn prof is sucking his dick now. I seriously tried everything and explained how important this is. He just wouldn't change his mind and now it is being petitioned.[/quote]

Kinda foolish on your part to fail the class, but pretty douchey by the prof too. Best of luck with that stubborn shit.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 30, 2010 7:28 pm

A'nold wrote:I seriously doubt just b/c the school has only two GRADUATION dates that this means you aren't GRADUATED when you finish in August.
Hello? The greatest overlooked advice on this entire thread?

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:28 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Kinda foolish on your part to fail the class, but pretty douchey by the prof too. Best of luck with that stubborn shit.
sigh, i can't blame him. it is all my fault. He might be a merciless son of a bitch. but he has every right to be one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun May 30, 2010 7:29 pm

A'nold wrote:
A'nold wrote:I seriously doubt just b/c the school has only two GRADUATION dates that this means you aren't GRADUATED when you finish in August.
My post > Your post

duh

airfrance87

New

Post by airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:29 pm

A'nold wrote:
i am confused on that too. Like if i only get my graduate certificate in november...will law school accept my august transcript?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Sun May 30, 2010 7:32 pm

First step: Explain to professor your were going through something that prevented you from doing your work (this is true even if it was just senioritous). Explain what is riding on passing this course. Tell him/her that you will write a kickass paper/rock exam (biggest one from course) if the professor will just consider changing grade to passing (even if it is your schools minimum passing grade).

Don't worry about anything else until you do this because you're waisting time ... get moving!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun May 30, 2010 7:33 pm

airfrance87 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
i am confused on that too. Like if i only get my graduate certificate in november...will law school accept my august transcript?
Graduation is nothing but a ceremony, the important part of the degree is getting the credits done. If your credits are done in August, you should have a graduation/completion date of August. When I got my Master's degree I didn't even attend graduation, and didn't get the diploma for two years because BU is apparently incompetent when it comes to mailings. The degree is complete when the classes are complete.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”