UVA Deferrals? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tangerine Gleam

Silver

UVA Deferrals?

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri May 28, 2010 12:50 pm

UVA is offering $ for deferrals? Is this true?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=118595

And if so, did they do this last year? I've never heard of a law school doing this, but I haven't been "in the game" for long, so maybe this is something that happens more often than I realize.

jnorsky

Bronze

Re: UVA Deferrals

Post by jnorsky » Fri May 28, 2010 12:50 pm

Yes it is true. Not sure about last year, but definitely did it this year

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Re: UVA Deferrals?

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri May 28, 2010 12:53 pm

That's crazy/interesting.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:55 pm

I think WL's are going to be a shitshow this year. UChi said they currently don't need to pull from it, but might in the future, and basically asked the uninterested to withdraw.

I'd take this offer gladly if my school offered.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Fri May 28, 2010 2:04 pm

wow.. has T14 admission really gotten so easy that they are doing paid deferrals?? or is this a significant class size cut??.. and why on earth would they do this after deposit deadlines.. are they attempting to hoard 170+ LSAT scores for next year and then go for a gpa boost to raise ranking?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Fri May 28, 2010 2:08 pm

I believe that they did do this last year. I guess there's something about UVA's recent admission strategy that leads them to over enroll.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Fri May 28, 2010 2:10 pm

tkgrrett wrote:wow.. has T14 admission really gotten so easy that they are doing paid deferrals?? or is this a significant class size cut??.. and why on earth would they do this after deposit deadlines.. are they attempting to hoard 170+ LSAT scores for next year and then go for a gpa boost to raise ranking?

Because they didnt realize that even while yield protecting like 2,000 applicants and having a 10% acceptance rate, they would be over enrolled by a decent amount. im pretty sure that they can grab enough 170+ students without having to defer them over for the sake of rankings.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Fri May 28, 2010 2:14 pm

tkgrrett wrote:wow.. has T14 admission really gotten so easy that they are doing paid deferrals?? or is this a significant class size cut??.. and why on earth would they do this after deposit deadlines.. are they attempting to hoard 170+ LSAT scores for next year and then go for a gpa boost to raise ranking?
1. Admission isn't "so easy", rather it's that they underestimated their yield and so they want to encourage some people to go next year to avoid over enrollment that they couldn't handle.

2. They did this after deposit deadlines because they can't anticipate true yield until after everyone has deposited. Since many deposit close to the deadline, they could only implement their deferral incentive scheme after deadlines.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:20 am

Well this certainly doesn't bode well for my chances of admission next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:21 am

UVA is doing this for their med school too

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun May 30, 2010 8:58 am

shock259 wrote:Well this certainly doesn't bode well for my chances of admission next year.
Yeah, it seems that even if you apply the day they start accepting apps several spots will already be off the table. Does anybody know if these deferrals are binding in any way? It seems to me that if you guaranteed a spot at UVa with money, unless you scored a 180, you might as well take at least one more crack at the LSAT. Doesn't hurt and could potentially be great for you.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun May 30, 2010 9:33 am

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 30, 2010 10:17 am

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

howcani111

New

Post by howcani111 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:18 am

thesealocust wrote:Just for the record, this is the third year in a row UVA has had this kind of yield problem / over-enrolled. The school seems to be both getting more popular and constantly underestimating the rate at which it gets more popular, lol.
or maybe their cutting their class size?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun May 30, 2010 10:19 am

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 30, 2010 10:30 am

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun May 30, 2010 10:57 am

YCrevolution wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Just for the record, this is the third year in a row UVA has had this kind of yield problem / over-enrolled. The school seems to be both getting more popular and constantly underestimating the rate at which it gets more popular, lol.
For this year, I call it the "YCrevolution effect" or the "YC effect" for short.
This is probably the cause. That mixed in with lots of college grads with no meaningful employment and untold riches and opportunities in the legal field. I am surprised that UVa couldn't anticipate the yield better with the ED apps and all.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 30, 2010 11:04 am

I just have to comment on this, then I swear I'll get back to writing. First, lol at anyone actually being surprised by this. UVA is magical and enchanting. I say this as someone who loves my own school, and likes cities so much that I didn't even apply to schools anywhere less urban than Boston or San Francisco. I had modest numbers, so UVA was not on my radar during my cycle.

I came down to UVA for a single weekend in spring, and enjoyed it so much that I didn't want to leave. My classmates went on vacation to Jamaica or the Dominican Republic. I went to Charlottesville and had a better time than they did. The town is gorgeous and historic, and the school does have amazing ambassadors. I try to do for Fordham what YCRevolution does for UVA, but I'm not nearly as amazing as he is. Everyone down there is that welcoming, and it was all the more remarkable because there was no expected gain to be had by it. I was not an admitted student, so they didn't have to court me for enrollment purposes. I couldn't really give back, other than to thank everyone I met for treating me like visiting royalty.

If you are choosing between UVA and one of its peer schools, go to UVA. I don't really know about taking deferrals, because waiting for anything is impossibly hard for me, but buying time seems wise in our economic climate, and being paid to buy time even wiser. I don't have a stake in it, really, as a happy Fordham student, but the board should know why I think UVA is having this "problem." Whatever it was like before, the class of 2012 made it that much worse. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”