Early Admission to Hastings Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
djjf39

Bronze

Early Admission to Hastings

Post by djjf39 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi,

So I am a graduate student in philosophy and will come out with an MA in the spring of 2011. My GPA should be around 3.9. I did my undergraduate at Evergreen, so I do not have a UGPA. My written evaluations were quite good, but I have no clue what that will actually mean for me admissions wise. I take the LSAT in June, and feel like high 160s low 170s is about where I should end up, assuming my practice scores are good indicators. I have been meeting with a private tutor for the last five months, and feel very good about my general ability on the LSAT.

My questions follow: if I do poorly on the LSAT, say 161-164, would I still have a shot at early admission to Hastings? What is the auto-admit threshold for Hastings? And would I fall into that category since I did my undergrad in a non-traditional pedagogy?

Thanks,

Dan

Borhas

Platinum

Re: Early Admission to Hastings

Post by Borhas » Tue May 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Hastings is unusual in its admission because a lot of people that have "auto admit" numbers are wait-listed. In past years this was because of yield protection, but they didn't really use any blatant yield protection this year and yet they had a lot of wait lists in the generally accepted zones.

For this past year it seems like 163 was the minimum unless you had a gpa above their 75% GPA marking. A 164-165 would be in the safe zone.

Since you won't have a gpa I think you should really just consider 164 as your minimum.

helpful website:
http://hastings.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djjf39

Bronze

Post by djjf39 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:21 pm

Thank you Borhas.

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Bumping - ED question!

What is a better ED choice for 3.15/164: Hastings or UIUC? I basically have the entire app ready for both and just got the score today, which is my first. UIUC's ED is due Sunday and I'm trying to determine where I'd like to spend the ED.

Background: Grew up in Northern California, currently working in Oakland @ a mid sized firm. Been out of school for two years. Went to a UC that isn't Berkeley. Tumultuous first year and upward GPA, no real excuses for it.

I have no reservations about leaving CA. The job market here is more impacted than most and I could see myself settling down somewhere else.

And - in regards to the "retake" answer, I'm going to try my luck with this cycle and see what kind of acceptances I receive, then decide whether I want to wait another year. Application fees aren't an issue.

What is the better ED choice?

Thanks all.

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:42 pm

McNulty wrote:Bumping - ED question!

What is a better ED choice for 3.15/164: Hastings or UIUC? I basically have the entire app ready for both and just got the score today, which is my first. UIUC's ED is due Sunday and I'm trying to determine where I'd like to spend the ED.

Background: Grew up in Northern California, currently working in Oakland @ a mid sized firm. Been out of school for two years. Went to a UC that isn't Berkeley. Tumultuous first year and upward GPA, no real excuses for it.

I have no reservations about leaving CA. The job market here is more impacted than most and I could see myself settling down somewhere else.

And - in regards to the "retake" answer, I'm going to try my luck with this cycle and see what kind of acceptances I receive, then decide whether I want to wait another year. Application fees aren't an issue.

Thanks all.
UIUC!

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:11 pm

TT09 wrote:
McNulty wrote:Bumping - ED question!

Thanks all.
UIUC!
Concise. Thank you :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”