Five W Freakout Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
X_Soda

New

Five W Freakout

Post by X_Soda » Mon May 24, 2010 1:04 am

I have a 3.4 GPA and the potential to get an LSAT of around 170. I am fine with this, because apparently it puts me within reach of several New York schools I am deeply considering. However, I just read something that states that the LSAC counts Withdrawls from classes as Fs. I have FIVE withdrawls on my transcript. The changing of those from null grades to Fs would absolutely destroy me and likely put me out of reach of any T100 school in New York. So, two questions:

1) Is it really true that Ws become Fs after LSAC?

2) If it is, how can I go about eliminating these Ws from my transcript? Three of them are for absurdly easy classes that I would have gotten an A in anyway and had to drop for personal reasons. The other two are for more challenging classes that I eventually retook and got an A and B in.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Five W Freakout

Post by kalvano » Mon May 24, 2010 1:06 am

It depends. You can't eliminate them. Period.

But, they don't negatively impact your GPA unless they are punitive W's. My school noted them as "WF" (withdraw-failing), and those are what kill you. A regular W does not.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Mon May 24, 2010 1:08 am

Withdrawals only count against you if your school counted them as punitive. My schools did not so I don't really know what a punitive withdrawal would be. I assume missing a deadline or something. So, no need for a freakout yet.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:10 am

X_Soda wrote:2)Three of them are for absurdly easy classes that I would have gotten an A in anyway and had to drop for personal reasons. The other two are for more challenging classes that I eventually retook and got an A and B in.
is this something you can explain in an addendum?

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Mon May 24, 2010 1:11 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Withdrawals only count against you if your school counted them as punitive. My schools did not so I don't really know what a punitive withdrawal would be. I assume missing a deadline or something. So, no need for a freakout yet.
TCR

EDIT: But also keep in mind that even if these W's don't hurt your GPA, they can hurt you in terms of demonstrating maturity to LS. Many LS see more than 1 or 2 W's as a lack of commitment (especially if you dropped easy classes without giving a serious addendum as to why).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

X_Soda

New

Post by X_Soda » Mon May 24, 2010 1:19 am

Well, my transcript only displays "W"s and not "WF"s or anything like that, so if I submit that to LSAC is it safe to assume that the Ws are non-punitive, or should I investigate this with my university first? All of the Ws I received were for classes I dropped about 3 or 4 weeks into the semester. If I had dropped a class in the first week or so, I don't think I would have received a W. But everything was definitely well before the midterm, so is it safe to assume these are non-punitive Ws?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 24, 2010 1:23 am

Fairly safe, but it doesn't matter whether they are or not. They are on your transcipt and so will be seen and counted by LSAC.

If they are punitive, you can't do anything about it.

X_Soda

New

Post by X_Soda » Mon May 24, 2010 1:39 am

You don't think I might be able to communicate with my university to shift their status to non-punitive if they are currently punitive? I mean, it seems insane if a 3.4 and a chance at something like Fordham could be demoted to a 2.9 and difficulty entering any T100 NYC school just because I misjudged the value of dropping some easy classes...

Another thing: let's say that the Ws are non-punitive. Do they carry any weight at all in this case, or will my GPA remain unaltered, all else equal?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 24, 2010 1:42 am

That's between you and your UG, though I highly doubt it.

If they are non-punitive, then they mean nothing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Mon May 24, 2010 1:46 am

The easy answer here is call your UG tomorrow and ask if they are punitive or not.

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Mon May 24, 2010 1:49 am

If they're non-punitive, they'll have absolutely no effect on your GPA. At most, they'll be a mildly negative soft factor. If they were early in your undergrad and do not form a consistent pattern, they're pretty close to irrelevant. Focus on meeting your LSAT potential.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Mon May 24, 2010 10:41 am

X_Soda wrote:You don't think I might be able to communicate with my university to shift their status to non-punitive if they are currently punitive? I mean, it seems insane if a 3.4 and a chance at something like Fordham could be demoted to a 2.9 and difficulty entering any T100 NYC school just because I misjudged the value of dropping some easy classes...

Another thing: let's say that the Ws are non-punitive. Do they carry any weight at all in this case, or will my GPA remain unaltered, all else equal?
If they are non-punitive you have nothing to worry about. If they are punitive, you are going to have a very very difficult time convincing your university to change them. I highly doubt that it is even possible (it is probably likely that the LSAC has a record of universities and how their W's count). While your university certainly wants their students to exceed, if they change the policy for you, they have to change it for everyone.

Back on the maturity note (what others have previously called the negative softs). You have 5 W's. Even if the W's are non-punitive, that is a lot. Most law applicants have one or two, and many none at all- simply because LS do not look favorably on multiple W's, especially if they are late or routine in your college career. LS see it absolutely as a lack of commitment, and LS is a huge commitment. The only thing you can do now is work on your LSAT. A good LSAT can combat that negative impact of the W's.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:45 am

amputatedbrain wrote:The easy answer here is call your UG tomorrow and ask if they are punitive or not.
This. You're asking the wrong people here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Mon May 24, 2010 10:58 am

Sorry to be blunt, but 5 withdrawals is kind of a big deal. In college they always warned us about the evils of having even one withdrawal.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 24, 2010 11:00 am

Depends on the reason for the withdrawl.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon May 24, 2010 11:05 am

HazelEyes wrote:Sorry to be blunt, but 5 withdrawals is kind of a big deal. In college they always warned us about the evils of having even one withdrawal.
LOL no. Your LSAC GPA is all that schools care about.

jaxangler

New

Post by jaxangler » Mon May 24, 2010 2:03 pm

I had way more than 5 withdrawals, didn't affect my GPA or my cycle at all. There's no point in freaking out over what you can't change now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Robert398

New

Post by Robert398 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Here you go: --LinkRemoved--

Just input your school and you'll get the whole list of how they calculate each mark.

X_Soda

New

Post by X_Soda » Tue May 25, 2010 3:07 am

THANK YOU, MAN!! That has INTENSELY assuaged my Five W Fears. Calling my university tomorrow just to make double sure everything is good, but things look good based on that information. Now to move onto freaking out about logic games.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue May 25, 2010 3:21 am

Luckily for you logic games can also be overcome fairly easily.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue May 25, 2010 7:17 am

HazelEyes wrote:Sorry to be blunt, but 5 withdrawals is kind of a big deal. In college they always warned us about the evils of having even one withdrawal.
I have 5 W's and I did fine. :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue May 25, 2010 7:30 am

jaxangler wrote:I had way more than 5 withdrawals, didn't affect my GPA or my cycle at all. There's no point in freaking out over what you can't change now.
^^ This

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 am

Robert398 wrote:Here you go: --LinkRemoved--

Just input your school and you'll get the whole list of how they calculate each mark.
thanks so much for posting this!!! I had a WF on my transcript from community college a million years ago, and it says that both LSAC and my school count it as nonpunitive! this is like a miracle for my gpa :D I have to keep going back and looking at it to make sure I read it right...

Robert398

New

Post by Robert398 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:20 pm

X_Soda wrote:THANK YOU, MAN!! That has INTENSELY assuaged my Five W Fears. Calling my university tomorrow just to make double sure everything is good, but things look good based on that information. Now to move onto freaking out about logic games.
You're welcome. I wish more people were aware of that link as this question comes up quite often.

Player21

New

Post by Player21 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:54 pm

Well, I have one WU which counts for .0. But, I only had one so my school threw it out although it's still on my transcript. Will LSAC still count it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”