UC Irvine Law Ranking Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flcath

Silver

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Post by flcath » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:06 pm

Superficial wrote:
flcath wrote:
rayiner wrote:UCI will rank well. Maybe not T20, but T1 certainly. Consider what the factors in the rankings are:

1) LSAT, GPA. UCI has these.
2) Peer reputation. Academics like Leiter are already fawning over UCI's faculty: http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... pact.shtml
3) Lawyer/Judge reputation. This will probably suck.
4) Spending per student, tc. This will be high because of UCI's tiny class size.
5) Library size, etc. UCI can compete as much as anyone else on this one.
Places like GWU and ND have nosedived in the past b/c of a weird year of yield. Our acceptance rate went up 12% one year and it caused a 8-place drop in the rankings.

Yield is far more lightly-weighted than lawyer/judge reputation, and UCI will suffer worse than (the analog of) a 12% drop in a nationwide (NE-biased) reputation survey, since no one knows what the fuck it is.

This TTT shithole will fry come rankings day, and rightfully so.

You get what you pay for.
Nice tan.

So does this mean if I pay tuition at McGeorge School of Law, then I will get YLS education!?!?!?
Thank you. It's gone now, courtesy of a move from FL to the midwest.

I don't know what a McGeorge is (is that the Canadian one?), in all seriousness.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm not trying to bash the school, but UCI's summer 2010 placements left much to be desired.

http://www.law.uci.edu/career_dev/past_placements.html

I know they may only have been 1L's, but still. Either way, I wish the school would hurry and be ranked so that UCLA, USC, UCD, and UCH kids know if they should seriously consider UCI. Then, I wish employment statistics would be available so that those same kids would know how to value a degree from UCI as compared to the others.

Black-Blue

Bronze

Post by Black-Blue » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:24 pm

People are exaggerating UCI's peer review score. The peer review score is not based on objective citations per faculty, but a subjective measure. Most of the deans who rate the peer review scores will not give UCI a high score because these people typically hate newcomers into their industry, particularly the administrates at TTTs.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm not trying to bash the school, but UCI's summer 2010 placements left much to be desired.

I know they may only have been 1L's, but still. Either way, I wish the school would hurry and be ranked so that UCLA, USC, UCD, and UCH kids know if they should seriously consider UCI. Then, I wish employment statistics would be available so that those same kids would know how to value a degree from UCI as compared to the others.
Those placement stats don't look bad. 4 people out of 60 in firms (7%) compares pretty well to the 10% or so in firms for 1Ls at NU.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:22 pm

realistically speaking, where do you guys think UCI will be ranked? just your personal opinions or guesses

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ashlaw

New

Post by Ashlaw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:38 pm

red_alertz wrote:realistically speaking, where do you guys think UCI will be ranked? just your personal opinions or guesses
I think it would be foolish to predict.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
vandyorbust wrote:
joshbrenton wrote:OK, isn't this better, that UCI is fitting into the top tier?

Hear me out; I figure MOST people go to middle range schools, so you're competing against other middle range graduates for jobs, right? Isn't it better for all of you, if UC Irvine is in the top tier? Let them compete against USC or cornell or whatever, and you can go on competing against the VAST majority of middle range grads!!

The way I see it, is good riddance.
Hahahahah! I never thought of it that way. Yes! Every should be happy about this!

Why do you think he's drinking like that? Anyone?
HILARIOUS photo :mrgreen:

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:46 pm

red_alertz wrote:realistically speaking, where do you guys think UCI will be ranked? just your personal opinions or guesses
Somewhere in the top 50 and, no matter what happens, it ain't gonna matter one bit where it ranks.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:43 pm

bk187 wrote:
Somewhere in the top 50 and, no matter what happens, it ain't gonna matter one bit where it ranks.
why is that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:46 pm

rayiner wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm not trying to bash the school, but UCI's summer 2010 placements left much to be desired.

Those placement stats don't look bad. 4 people out of 60 in firms (7%) compares pretty well to the 10% or so in firms for 1Ls at NU.
One also must consider the fact that most of the kids at UCI aren't gunning for big law. They are there (and the school's purpose) is to place in public interest. That said, there are plenty of anecdotes of NLJ250 firms trying to recruit kids from there but the kids didn't have interest.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:46 pm

red_alertz wrote:why is that?
Which part?

Ashlaw

New

Post by Ashlaw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:53 pm

snichols16 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

One also must consider the fact that most of the kids at UCI aren't gunning for big law. They are there (and the school's purpose) is to place in public interest. That said, there are plenty of anecdotes of NLJ250 firms trying to recruit kids from there but the kids didn't have interest.
I've met some people who attend UCI. It seems that for the most part they are all looking into PI (Not that they are in any way incapable of biglaw jobs. Some do want to gun for them). However, I did not hear too many good things about the administration.

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Ashlaw wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I've met some people who attend UCI. It seems that for the most part they are all looking into PI (Not that they are in any way incapable of biglaw jobs. Some do want to gun for them). However, I did not hear too many good things about the administration.
Curious what you've heard about the administration. I've only heard amazing things about the registrar, getting classes made that students want, financial aid, help with job placement, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ashlaw

New

Post by Ashlaw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:16 pm

snichols16 wrote:
Curious what you've heard about the administration. I've only heard amazing things about the registrar, getting classes made that students want, financial aid, help with job placement, etc.
You know what, "I heard" is the best way to start rumors so I'll just shut up.

calapp09

New

Post by calapp09 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Danteshek wrote:When is the first issue of the UCI Law Review going to be published? How many members does it have (editors and staff)?
FYI, in case someone else didn't answer your question- see the title page for staff info.
http://law.uci.edu/lawreview/

clayboy

New

Post by clayboy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:49 pm

snichols16 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Hi there- UCI 2L here, distracting myself from outlining and thought I'd pop on the boards to see what was shaking.
FWIW, a fair number of my 59 classmates participated in OCI for corporate/biglaw jobs. Without making any promise as to the completeness of the list, here is what I know from memory, placement wise:

2- Gibson Dunn
1- O'Melveny
1- Jones Day
2- Milbank
2- Bryan Cave
1 - ShepMull
1- Crowell
1- Troutman Sanders
2- Alen Matkins

3 have also been placed at Robinson Calcagnie, which is a legendary plaintiffs' firm (see: Pinto litigation) that pays national scale. Similarly, a classmate was placed at Stradling, a very highly respected local firm that also pays scale. Again, this is just off my memory, but I thought it might show that the school isn't only for those pursuing a public interest career.

I'd be happy to answer questions via PM. I've also been very (very) involved in the formation of the Law Review, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about that as well.

Back to the grind...

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:43 pm

clayboy wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Hi there- UCI 2L here, distracting myself from outlining and thought I'd pop on the boards to see what was shaking.
FWIW, a fair number of my 59 classmates participated in OCI for corporate/biglaw jobs. Without making any promise as to the completeness of the list, here is what I know from memory, placement wise:

2- Gibson Dunn
1- O'Melveny
1- Jones Day
2- Milbank
2- Bryan Cave
1 - ShepMull
1- Crowell
1- Troutman Sanders
2- Alen Matkins

3 have also been placed at Robinson Calcagnie, which is a legendary plaintiffs' firm (see: Pinto litigation) that pays national scale. Similarly, a classmate was placed at Stradling, a very highly respected local firm that also pays scale. Again, this is just off my memory, but I thought it might show that the school isn't only for those pursuing a public interest career.

I'd be happy to answer questions via PM. I've also been very (very) involved in the formation of the Law Review, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about that as well.

Back to the grind...
Where those mostly LA branches or OC?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thepanda00

New

Post by thepanda00 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Last edited by thepanda00 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu May 26, 2011 10:00 pm

thepanda00 wrote:hi
Nice bump.

nphsbuckeye

Bronze

Post by nphsbuckeye » Thu May 26, 2011 11:47 pm

flcath wrote:
thepanda00 wrote:hi
Nice bump.
That's what she said.

Nacirema

New

Post by Nacirema » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:19 pm

I predict that UCI will not be TOP 20. I predict that they will be ranked in the high 30's or low 40's. US News gives a lot of ranking points for "peer review." The problem is that UCI is on the west coast and a limited number of East Coast schools know about it. Further, schools only rank well if they have been around for a while. For example HYS have been around since the 1800's, and a majority of schools in the Top 50 have been around since early 1900's.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bne90

New

Post by bne90 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:35 pm

Nacirema wrote:I predict that UCI will not be TOP 20. I predict that they will be ranked in the high 30's or low 40's. US News gives a lot of ranking points for "peer review." The problem is that UCI is on the west coast and a limited number of East Coast schools know about it. Further, schools only rank well if they have been around for a while. For example HYS have been around since the 1800's, and a majority of schools in the Top 50 have been around since early 1900's.
I agree that UCI's initial ranking will be lower than what people have been suggesting (around mid 30's). Numbers of course are a significant factor when it comes to rankings, but several other factors come into play as previously mentioned. Furthermore, while it may as of now be provisionally accredited, I am concerned about the lack of an alumni base. I also fear that it will recieve poor scores from judges/lawyers even though the school has been establishing relations with LA and regional firms. I wouldn't be surprised however if its ranking somehow managed to be in the top 25 within 5 years. There are some seriously powerful individuals, who would directly benefit from a top ranked UCI law school (like the guy who "owns" the city of Irvine and Newport Beach), that are very determined to eventually get a top 10 ranking.

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Nacirema wrote: The problem is that UCI is on the west coast and a limited number of East Coast schools know about it. Further, schools only rank well if they have been around for a while. For example HYS have been around since the 1800's, and a majority of schools in the Top 50 have been around since early 1900's.
1. You are categorically wrong that only people on the east and west coasts know about UCI. Haven spoken with law schools, law professors, and legal practitioners in the Top 30 on both coasts AND in the Midwest, everyone knows about UCI. There have been over 20 articles about UCI Law in the NLJ (which recruiters and partners with firms in the NLJ 250 read) over the past couple years (not to mention the WSJ, New York Times, etc).

2. I don't know how to respond to your last claim (and I am sensing some Chapman envy). I could equally say that being located above the Mason-Dixon line or the being located east of the line set by the Proclamation of 1763 will increase the ranking of a school. The correlation doesn't fully exist as there are other stronger and more endogenous factors at play.

Nacirema

New

Post by Nacirema » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:17 pm

snichols16 wrote:
Nacirema wrote: The problem is that UCI is on the west coast and a limited number of East Coast schools know about it. Further, schools only rank well if they have been around for a while. For example HYS have been around since the 1800's, and a majority of schools in the Top 50 have been around since early 1900's.
1. You are categorically wrong that only people on the east and west coasts know about UCI. Haven spoken with law schools, law professors, and legal practitioners in the Top 30 on both coasts AND in the Midwest, everyone knows about UCI. There have been over 20 articles about UCI Law in the NLJ (which recruiters and partners with firms in the NLJ 250 read) over the past couple years (not to mention the WSJ, New York Times, etc).

2. I don't know how to respond to your last claim (and I am sensing some Chapman envy). I could equally say that being located above the Mason-Dixon line or the being located east of the line set by the Proclamation of 1763 will increase the ranking of a school. The correlation doesn't fully exist as there are other stronger and more endogenous factors at play.

Whoa whoa whoa, calm down fire cracker. My comment was not meant to be meansprited, it was merely meant to be borderline "realistic."

Yes, people have read about UCI, it is a great undergrad and the law school has gotten great press over the years. However, when it comes to voting most east coast schools, employers, scholars have no experience whatsoever with UCI. UCI has no alumni, more importantly no alumni on the east coast, where a overwhelming majority of the votes come from. If you were an law school/employer would you vote for Boston/Notre Dame or UCI? UCI has great LSAT scores, however a lot of points are based on "reputation." Reputation points come from having a vast network of alumni sprawled over the country and that only comes with time. This is why in the Top 50 of schools, only like 13 have were created after the 1960s.

Further, UCI will be fine in Irvine/Orange County 100%.

That being said, I dont understand why you would take offense to predicting UCI to be ranked starting off in the high 30s. Its a brand new school.

we will see whos who in the zoo when you guys get ranked in 2013.

UNLV09

New

Post by UNLV09 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:14 pm

I just don't understand why they would start up a new law school in a region that already has about 10 others in a market that is grossly oversaturated. Is this some type of cruel joke?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”