Help! AU (PT) v. St. Johns (FT+$$) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
R4NDM H3RO

New

Help! AU (PT) v. St. Johns (FT+$$)

Post by R4NDM H3RO » Thu May 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Whats up guys,

I'm looking for some advice to decide which school would be the better option for me. I got into American's part-time program with no money and St. John's full-time with $18,200 (with TAP it's like $20,000).

Is it really worth paying PT sticker for a school ranked 48 (I plan on working at the same time)? Or should I just go with the money at a T2.

I have hopes of transferring so would going to AU over STJ give me a better edge in terms of moving up higher? Or are their ranking difference negligible.

Thanks in advance!

James Bond

Gold

Re: Help! AU (PT) v. St. Johns (FT+$$)

Post by James Bond » Mon May 24, 2010 1:46 am

Please do not go to St. Johns. Oh and you only get that money if you stay in the top 50%

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:18 am

In before someone says to retake LSAT and reapply.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon May 24, 2010 2:24 am

bk187 wrote:In before someone says to retake LSAT and reapply.
You can make moves coming out of American though. Might not be a great job, but you'll get a job. St. Johns? You'll probably just get mugged in Queens

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 am

James Bond wrote:
You can make moves coming out of American though. Might not be a great job, but you'll get a job. St. Johns? You'll probably just get mugged in Queens
Sticker at American is rough though. =/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon May 24, 2010 3:40 am

bk187 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Sticker at American is rough though. =/
Are those really your only two options?

R4NDM H3RO

New

Post by R4NDM H3RO » Mon May 24, 2010 7:30 pm

I got into a few other T2/3s like Rutgers, Buffalo, Kent, Pitt, Syracuse, DePaul etc... with some money but I received the most from STJ. I also would have little to no living expenses if I went with STJ.

And lol to getting mugged in Queens. It's really not that bad!

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:37 pm

R4NDM H3RO wrote:I got into a few other T2/3s like Rutgers, Buffalo, Kent, Pitt, Syracuse, DePaul etc... with some money but I received the most from STJ. I also would have little to no living expenses if I went with STJ.

And lol to getting mugged in Queens. It's really not that bad!
Those are better than St. John's. Pitt is #1 here in Pittsburgh and SJU is what... after all the NY schools plus the top 20, so 21st ? Why would you have little to no living expense? Does your family live in NY? If so, that makes SJU much more attractive.

R4NDM H3RO

New

Post by R4NDM H3RO » Mon May 24, 2010 8:02 pm

Yes. My family lives in NYC. Even though Pitt and some other schools may be higher ranked in their respective region, I figured 20k + no COL would be more favorable.

Would it be nuts to even consider AU at sticker with what I have now?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue May 25, 2010 1:02 am

No Brooklyn or Cardozo apps or didn't get in? Not trying to be a dick if you didn't, just wondering

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue May 25, 2010 12:41 pm

R4NDM H3RO wrote:Would it be nuts to even consider AU at sticker with what I have now?
Yes. AU at sticker is a horrible deal. It is one of the most expensive law schools in one of the most expensive cities in the country.

St. John's, with the scholarship and no rent, is a pretty good deal. Take it.

R4NDM H3RO

New

Post by R4NDM H3RO » Tue May 25, 2010 5:00 pm

James Bond wrote:No Brooklyn or Cardozo apps or didn't get in? Not trying to be a dick if you didn't, just wondering
No its all good. I'm WL'd at Cardozo and I didn't apply to Brooklyn. I also applied pretty late to everything (Feb LSAT).
deadpanic wrote:
R4NDM H3RO wrote:Would it be nuts to even consider AU at sticker with what I have now?
Yes. AU at sticker is a horrible deal. It is one of the most expensive law schools in one of the most expensive cities in the country.

St. John's, with the scholarship and no rent, is a pretty good deal. Take it.
Cool. Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Tue May 25, 2010 5:06 pm

James Bond wrote:
Trust me, you have a significantly higher chance of getting mugged and killed in DC than you do in NYC, and particularly in the Jamaica Estates & Fresh Meadows part of Queens.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Tue May 25, 2010 5:09 pm

James Bond wrote:Please do not go to St. Johns. Oh and you only get that money if you stay in the top 50%
Why you are so down on St. John's? I understand that it lags behind NYU, Columbia, Fordham, and Cardozo in NYC, but it still is a fairly respectable school around here. Granted, the OP will have to kick butt and end up in the top 20% of the class to get a decent job, but sounds like a better fit for what the OP is looking for.

testmaster85

New

Post by testmaster85 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:12 pm

R4NDM H3RO wrote:Whats up guys,

I'm looking for some advice to decide which school would be the better option for me. I got into American's part-time program with no money and St. John's full-time with $18,200 (with TAP it's like $20,000).

Is it really worth paying PT sticker for a school ranked 48 (I plan on working at the same time)? Or should I just go with the money at a T2.

I have hopes of transferring so would going to AU over STJ give me a better edge in terms of moving up higher? Or are their ranking difference negligible.

Thanks in advance!
Don't listen to him. Go to St John's for sure. People get jobs out of St. John's in NYC. Even biglaw. No debt = no risk if you don't, you can start your own practice in the business capital of the world.

testmaster85

New

Post by testmaster85 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:15 pm

testmaster85 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Don't listen to him. Go to St John's for sure. People get jobs out of St. John's in NYC. Even biglaw. No debt = no risk if you don't, you can start your own practice in the business capital of the world.
St. John's is huge in NYC because their alumni network is strong, as strong as Columbia or NYU and stronger than Cardozo, Fordham. The reason is because many of our current oligarchs, finance people, and even gov people(such as Harvey Pitt, ex chairman of the SEC), went to St. John's and grew up poor. If you can say you're a poor hustler, you'll be fine both at firms and anwhere else you want to go.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Tue May 25, 2010 5:15 pm

testmaster85 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Tue May 25, 2010 5:17 pm

testmaster85 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
No, no they don't.

If I had to take one of your options, I'd take Chicago-Kent, which is actually kind of respected in Chicago.

Think about going to St. John's in NY - you're behind Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo, and probably a lot of T-14 grads that want to practice in NYC. The competition will be vicious.

As for top 20%? Make that top-1-3%. Don't go into law school assuming you'll do well/work hard enough to do well, because many of your classmates will make the same assumption.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Tue May 25, 2010 5:22 pm

savagecheater wrote:
testmaster85 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
No, no they don't.

If I had to take one of your options, I'd take Chicago-Kent, which is actually kind of respected in Chicago.

Think about going to St. John's in NY - you're behind Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo, and probably a lot of T-14 grads that want to practice in NYC. The competition will be vicious.

As for top 20%? Make that top-1-3%. Don't go into law school assuming you'll do well/work hard enough to do well, because many of your classmates will make the same assumption.
Top 1-3%? So out of the class of about 300, you are saying only 3-9 students get a decent job? You really have NO idea what you are talking about.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Tue May 25, 2010 5:24 pm

savagecheater wrote:
testmaster85 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
No, no they don't.

To the OP: Please don't listen to this elitist nonsense. This is simply not true.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:29 pm

shutterbug wrote:To the OP: Please don't listen to this elitist nonsense. This is simply not true.
Whether or not it is blown out of proportion, it is true that a better school will give you much better prospects.

Considering the late application and the possibility of retaking the LSAT and reapplying early, it seems like a stronger call that will pay off more than attending now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Tue May 25, 2010 5:35 pm

shutterbug wrote:
savagecheater wrote:
testmaster85 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
No, no they don't.

Top 1-3%? So out of the class of about 300, you are saying only 3-9 students get a decent job? You really have NO idea what you are talking about.
Define a decent job. If we're talking biglaw, I'd love to see you finagle some numbers showing top 20% has biglaw. A decent job is not "a job" nor is a decent job $17/hr doc-review.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue May 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Never ever ever ever go to a law school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. Don't ever count on transferring.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue May 25, 2010 5:40 pm

shutterbug wrote:
James Bond wrote:Please do not go to St. Johns. Oh and you only get that money if you stay in the top 50%
Why you are so down on St. John's? I understand that it lags behind NYU, Columbia, Fordham, and Cardozo in NYC, but it still is a fairly respectable school around here. Granted, the OP will have to kick butt and end up in the top 20% of the class to get a decent job, but sounds like a better fit for what the OP is looking for.
Define "decent."

Also,there's an 80% chance you won't be in the top 20%. Sounds like pretty bad odds to me.
Last edited by Grizz on Tue May 25, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue May 25, 2010 5:45 pm

testmaster85 wrote: Don't listen to him. Go to St John's for sure. People get jobs out of St. John's in NYC. Even biglaw. No debt = no risk if you don't, you can start your own practice in the business capital of the world.
Biglaw? St. John's doesn't even make the top 50 for NLJ250, meaning you have less than a 13.2% chance (50th ranked for NLJ250 prospects) of anything even resembling biglaw.

Also, have fun being a solo practitioner in a city glutted with solos and lawyers in general. Moreover, you will have no clients starting out, and no capital for a copy machine, secretary, office, etc. in one of the most expensive cities in the country. Moreover, you will probably have no idea how to actually practice law; hope you don't get sued for malpractice!

90% of small businesses fail. Like those odds?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”