Drifting into law school vs Choosing Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SandyC877

Bronze

Drifting into law school vs Choosing Law School

Post by SandyC877 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:41 pm

I thought this was a great blog article for 0Ls to consider reading. I hope that her experience is an anomaly, but based on my observations on TLS, I think many of us do go to law school without giving it a clear thought.

Here's a short excerpt from the interview:
Really. There’s whole notion of “drift” that I think a lot of people fall into with law school. They don’t decide, necessarily, to go to law school, but they drift into it, really for lack of a better idea.

And I think that’s one of the reasons so many lawyers are unhappy. They hear these lines that, on their face, seem to make sense: ‘It can’t hurt to take the LSAT.’ ‘I can always go to law school.’ ‘I can always change my mind later.’ That’s what happened to me. I drifted into it. My father is a lawyer, and he’s very happy, but I didn’t give it a lot of thought. Then I got into Yale, and thought ‘wow, this is great.’ And I did well at Yale. Each step of the way I was like ‘wow, I’m editor-in-chief of the Law Journal, that’s cool!’ And then it was: ‘a clerkship with Justice O’Connor! That’s fun!’ But I really had no plan, no vision.
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/09/23/on- ... in-part-i/

clintonius

Silver

Re: Drifting into law school vs Choosing Law School

Post by clintonius » Wed May 12, 2010 2:52 pm

Yes, Yale to Skadden 1L summer to Davis Polk 2L summer to Editor-in-Chief of the law review to clerking for Justice O'Connor to FCC. Think of all the things she wasted by drifting down that path.

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

kilgore_trout

New

Post by kilgore_trout » Wed May 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Maybe she did "drift" into law school, but I'm not sure I believe it. I don't know why this is, but there's a widespread desire to want to be viewed as someone who just "gets" things and is a natural genius. I call it the Good Will Hunting Syndrome.

So, this lady wants everyone to believe that she just took the LSAT out of boredom one day and not only had a good enough score to get into Yale, but apparently had the softs and GPA to boot. I think getting into YLS has to be somewhat calculated early on.

Not only that, she just ipsy pipsy falls into the position of Editor-in-Chief of Yale's law review, falls ass backwards into jobs at two of the largest law firms in the country, and then - ho-hum - becomes a SCOTUS clerk

All the time she is doing this, apparently she is just saying (I picture this in a cheerleader voice) "Wow, I guess I'm pretty good at this law stuff."

I don't buy the whole "drifter" act. It's an impressive resume, but why can't she just say, "Yeah, I worked hard, networked like crazy, kissed a little ass and have made a great name for myself"?

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Wed May 12, 2010 2:59 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion that she's independently wealthy as well.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Awwwww, what a cute story!! She's so nice to share that with us.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Wed May 12, 2010 3:03 pm

SandyC877 wrote:her [strike]experience[/strike] life is an anomaly
But her point -- about the likely drawbacks for people going to law school as a backup or to find themselves or to tread water or whatever it is that isn't "to become a lawyer" -- still stands. However, you do not have to buy her book to learn it (or to learn other lessons on how to be happy).

This kills me, from her Web site:
Gretchen has a wide, enthusiastic following, and her idea for a “happiness project” no longer describes just a book or a blog; it’s a movement. Happiness Project groups have sprung up from Los Angeles to Enid, Oklahoma to Boston, where people meet to discuss their own happiness projects.
I'd rather slit my wrists and do 25 push-ups than listen to people tell me about their happiness projects.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed May 12, 2010 3:08 pm

kilgore_trout wrote:Maybe she did "drift" into law school, but I'm not sure I believe it. I don't know why this is, but there's a widespread desire to want to be viewed as someone who just "gets" things and is a natural genius. I call it the Good Will Hunting Syndrome.

So, this lady wants everyone to believe that she just took the LSAT out of boredom one day and not only had a good enough score to get into Yale, but apparently had the softs and GPA to boot. I think getting into YLS has to be somewhat calculated early on.

Not only that, she just ipsy pipsy falls into the position of Editor-in-Chief of Yale's law review, falls ass backwards into jobs at two of the largest law firms in the country, and then - ho-hum - becomes a SCOTUS clerk

All the time she is doing this, apparently she is just saying (I picture this in a cheerleader voice) "Wow, I guess I'm pretty good at this law stuff."

I don't buy the whole "drifter" act. It's an impressive resume, but why can't she just say, "Yeah, I worked hard, networked like crazy, kissed a little ass and have made a great name for myself"?
I have great disdain for people like this. She needs a reality slap.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Wed May 12, 2010 3:09 pm

easy to be happy and switch around doin w/e you want when you clerked for scotus and went to yale law. This article sucks

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm

I’ve always thought it was easy to get wooed into thinking that you’re doing the right thing while you’re in law school. You look around and see what everyone else is doing and just sort of follow along.

Right! And that’s exactly what happened to me. I thought, as long as they keep giving me gold stars to put on my forehead, I’ll keep trying to get them. As long as they give me bars to jump over, I’ll jump over them.

Don’t get me wrong. I really liked law school. I enjoyed it while I was doing it, and I was successful at it. But five years later, you realize you haven’t made any real choices.
I hate that there are people out there like this. Lady, please. I'm going to be busting my nonexistent balls to even find a job once I graduate from my T25 school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Wed May 12, 2010 3:24 pm

She might be right to an extent. Hell, I want a clerkship and I'm not completely sure why.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Wed May 12, 2010 3:29 pm

This woman seems pretentious and annoying.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed May 12, 2010 3:34 pm

At the bottom of the article you can see:

"(On Thursday, we’ll post part II, in which Rubin gives her advice to all those considering law school.)"

oh I can't wait to hear her advice on getting into LS.

Learning Hand

New

Post by Learning Hand » Wed May 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Wed May 12, 2010 3:46 pm

This article is actually old and part II is available here: http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/09/24/on- ... n-part-ii/

BREAKING NEWS: Yale law grads can do whatever the fuck they want!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:50 pm

kilgore_trout wrote:Maybe she did "drift" into law school, but I'm not sure I believe it. I don't know why this is, but there's a widespread desire to want to be viewed as someone who just "gets" things and is a natural genius. I call it the Good Will Hunting Syndrome.

I think you're misunderstanding the point of the article. She is not claiming that she did not study for the LSAT, or that she did not study hard in law school, or that she did not bust her ass to be a SCOTUS clerk. Her point was that all of this was not a conscious decision driven by what she actually wanted to do and what would actually make her happy, but rather merely going down the path of least resistance that was set up in front of her. Because she was doing well and knew she could keep doing well in law by working, she kept doing it - not because she loved it.

The point isn't that she didn't work hard and plan, but that she didn't know why she was working hard and planning.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Wed May 12, 2010 3:54 pm

soundgardener wrote:This article is actually old and part II is available here: http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/09/24/on- ... n-part-ii/

BREAKING NEWS: Yale law grads can do whatever the fuck they want!
If you hadn't posted, I wouldn't have clicked the link. Then I wouldn't have followed the link from the interview to her happiness project toolbox. Then, I wouldn't have wasted 5 minutes of my time and countless brain cells. Also, this pencil wouldn't be jabbed into my eye.

Thank you.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed May 12, 2010 4:00 pm

What a bitch.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed May 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Here's my happiness project, submitted to Ms. Rubin:

Your "happiness project" idea spurred in me deep, meaningful thought - the likes of which I'd never felt before exploring the ideas presented in your interview. With this said, I'd like to present my own, personal "happiness project": to get a fucking job after I graduate.

Thanks!

I hope she likes it.

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Wed May 12, 2010 4:03 pm

LOL, happiness project toolbox. Happiness. project. toolbox. That is all.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Always Credited wrote:Here's my happiness project, submitted to Ms. Rubin:

Your "happiness project" idea spurred in me deep, meaningful thought - the likes of which I'd never felt before exploring the ideas presented in your interview. With this said, I'd like to present my own, personal "happiness project": to get a fucking job after I graduate.

Thanks!

I hope she likes it.
I try masturbating twice daily for my happiness project.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed May 12, 2010 4:05 pm

lol lawyers are unhappy on purpose. see: this thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Wed May 12, 2010 4:09 pm

IAFG wrote:lol lawyers are unhappy on purpose. see: this thread.
I mean, I kind of appreciate what she's trying to do here, but because of my inherent cynicism, I can only deride her.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed May 12, 2010 4:14 pm

soundgardener wrote:
IAFG wrote:lol lawyers are unhappy on purpose. see: this thread.
I mean, I kind of appreciate what she's trying to do here, but because of my inherent cynicism, I can only deride her.
seriously. that disingenuous bitch. i can only be content if i am miserable. if i could be happy, i would not go to LS. obvs.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Wed May 12, 2010 4:18 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote: I think you're misunderstanding the point of the article. She is not claiming that she did not study for the LSAT, or that she did not study hard in law school, or that she did not bust her ass to be a SCOTUS clerk. Her point was that all of this was not a conscious decision driven by what she actually wanted to do and what would actually make her happy, but rather merely going down the path of least resistance that was set up in front of her. Because she was doing well and knew she could keep doing well in law by working, she kept doing it - not because she loved it.

The point isn't that she didn't work hard and plan, but that she didn't know why she was working hard and planning.
I wouldn't really call what she traveled the path of least resistance. Otherwise you're right. People should scrutinize their motives and goals in life before shelling out for law school (or whatever else). That said, while it'd be wonderful if everybody could work only the jobs that make them happy, it's just not going to happen for most folks (and these derive some other joy in life than in how they make their coin).

What's driving the derision is the fact that she's clearly a huckster. A bullshit artist. A snake-oil salesman. Whatever you want to call it. She's basically saying: "I've learned this special insight -- this 'wisdom of the ages' -- on how to be happy that I'll now share with you! Buy my book and you'll learn to be happy!" ... It's just too much.

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Wed May 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Aaaaaaand I was right. Both her and her husband's families are disgustingly wealthy and powerful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”