Should I pursue a Masters in Biotechnology? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dulcet

New

Should I pursue a Masters in Biotechnology?

Post by dulcet » Wed May 12, 2010 1:50 am

I am currently a 3rd year Biology major and World Literature minor at a top UC with a 3.37 GPA. I'll be taking the LSAT in October and graduating next March, and so far I've been averaging 170 on practice tests. I have been working in the biotech industry for over a year now, and am interested in a career in IP law. I know my GPA is fairly low, so what I'm wondering is whether or not a Masters in Biotech would help my admissions if I chose to spend a year pursuing a Masters instead of going to law school right out of undergrad. I've been lurking on this forum a lot and it seems like the consensus is that Masters don't make much of a difference whereas PhDs are much more valued, and I understand that graduate GPAs don't matter. However since I have some technical experience already and the Masters would further my technical experience, I'm wondering if it would improve my chances (I don't want to spend 4-7 years doing a PhD, so that's out). I'd like to go to a top-20 school if possible. So, hypothetically if I kill the LSAT, what are my chances with and without the Masters? I will still apply to law schools this year, but if I don't get into any of my most wanted schools I'd like to know if I should pursue the Masters to better my chances, or stick with what I get into this coming cycle (Am I right in thinking I could get into UCI or Santa Clara?). I'd love to go to UCLA or USC, or possibly east coast schools (Boston, NY, etc). Thanks so much for any feedback.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Re: Should I pursue a Masters in Biotechnology?

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 12, 2010 1:51 am

If you are interested in patent pros, you need to get a PhD

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”