Old v New Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oh!

New

Old v New

Post by oh! » Tue May 11, 2010 1:05 am

Hello!

I am finishing up my B.A. at DePAUL and plan on applying to law school in the fall. I have a few questions and was looking for some feedback.

1. I'm 31 and have a strong professional resume, does this help me at all?

2. I currently have a 3.8 GPA but my GPA (when I was a young boy) Is less than stellar. Will admissions take into consideration the night and day aspect of my grades now compared to earlier in my academic career (about a 10 year gap)?

I have not taken the LSAT but on practice tests I am getting 160-164.

Weez

New

Re: Old v New

Post by Weez » Tue May 11, 2010 1:09 am

Search. But no. Your grades are your grades. They'll note the upward trend but it wont make much of a difference if at all. Is your 3.8 counting your less than stellar grades?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue May 11, 2010 1:12 am

oh! wrote:Hello!

I am finishing up my B.A. at DePAUL and plan on applying to law school in the fall. I have a few questions and was looking for some feedback.

1. I'm 31 and have a strong professional resume, does this help me at all?

2. I currently have a 3.8 GPA but my GPA (when I was a young boy) Is less than stellar. Will admissions take into consideration the night and day aspect of my grades now compared to earlier in my academic career (about a 10 year gap)?

I have not taken the LSAT but on practice tests I am getting 160-164.
Your grades from the past will not be taken into account very heavily if you score well on your test. Applying to law school with several years of work experience is a classic case of not taking GPA into consideration as heavily so long as you are doing well now and have a strong test score. Read "How to get into the top law schools." They go ever this case in interview with LS admissions deans and they tell you what I just typed out in more words.

Weez

New

Post by Weez » Tue May 11, 2010 1:16 am

Edited for not not being able to read.

A high LSAT will make up for lower grades, but your GPA is still your GPA. They will be taken together.
Last edited by Weez on Tue May 11, 2010 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue May 11, 2010 1:17 am

I was in the same situation. 35 w/ work experience, bad old grades, great new grades and a 164. I got in with $$ across T2 and probably would have been in at most school outside top 25 or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue May 11, 2010 11:19 am

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue May 11, 2010 11:41 am

The point is, don't trip! Do you best on the test, apply, and weigh your options. Just cuz you accepted to a school you'd want to attend doesn't mean you have to go and just because your not in at your top choice doesn't mean you can't go to law school. Wait and see, man.

oh!

New

Post by oh! » Tue May 11, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I had thought about the addendum and will do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”