Should I apply to law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Knock

Platinum

Re: Should I apply to law school?

Post by Knock » Sat May 08, 2010 11:10 pm

The question is should I apply to law school.

The answer is undoubtedly yes. You have a 177 LSAT. Might as well blanket the T14, then see what happens and go from there. If you were interested enough to take the LSAT and score well, don't stop 80% of the way there. Finish off those applications and send them in.

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Sun May 09, 2010 12:29 am

Knockglock wrote:The question is should I apply to law school.

The answer is undoubtedly yes. You have a 177 LSAT. Might as well blanket the T14, then see what happens and go from there. If you were interested enough to take the LSAT and score well, don't stop 80% of the way there. Finish off those applications and send them in.
Thanks--but the question that I'm getting at is "should I go to law school?" (I just thought that would be a slightly arrogant title for a post, seeing as I haven't been admitted yet.) If I don't apply, it won't be for laziness or fear of rejection. It'll be because I feel that there is something I'd rather do with my life than attend law school.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm

I think you should apply to law school. As long as you don't go the big law route and actually remember your interests, a law degree may be really great for you.

However, if you do decide to go with the HKS option, you may find entrance into HLS easier with your gpa and lsat combination.

An MPP and JD from Harvard will definitely be worth the 4 years it should take to get both degrees and will open many doors in government and nonprofit work.

Plus, both the Kennedy school and the law school at H have the most beautiful atmosphere. You'll most likely love being a student at either school. You seriously can't go wrong even if you decide not to practice law down the road.

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Sun May 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:I think you should apply to law school. As long as you don't go the big law route and actually remember your interests, a law degree may be really great for you.

However, if you do decide to go with the HKS option, you may find entrance into HLS easier with your gpa and lsat combination.

An MPP and JD from Harvard will definitely be worth the 4 years it should take to get both degrees and will open many doors in government and nonprofit work.

Plus, both the Kennedy school and the law school at H have the most beautiful atmosphere. You'll most likely love being a student at either school. You seriously can't go wrong even if you decide not to practice law down the road.
Thanks very much for the thoughts. I really appreciate it. I think my GPA might be prohibitive for Harvard, but perhaps admissions to the MPP/JD program would be easier given a background very much in line with MPP?

Also, do you think retaking the LSAT would be worth it for Harvard given the GPA?

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Mon May 10, 2010 8:01 am

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:

Thanks very much for the thoughts. I really appreciate it. I think my GPA might be prohibitive for Harvard, but perhaps admissions to the MPP/JD program would be easier given a background very much in line with MPP?

Also, do you think retaking the LSAT would be worth it for Harvard given the GPA?
A 3.25 isn't terrible. Only in this US News Rankings obsessed world of law schools would anyone ever argue that it's "awful." If you have a complete package, it may not be prohibitive at Harvard.

Even though I would assume that having two really good lsat scores would look good anywhere, I personally wouldn't retake. Then again, I would be elated to have a 177 so we're not really in the same position.

Fyi, this is mostly (somewhat researched) speculation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon May 10, 2010 9:46 am

once your above the 75th then a higher score doesn't really help.

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Mon May 10, 2010 3:11 pm

gwuorbust wrote:once your above the 75th then a higher score doesn't really help.
I believe you're right.... I think I'll always wonder "what if" I hadn't screwed up reading comp though :-)

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon May 10, 2010 5:13 pm

gwuorbust wrote:once your above the 75th then a higher score doesn't really help.
I believe you're right.... I think I'll always wonder "what if" I hadn't screwed up reading comp though :-)
yes you much have really screwed it up to get a 177 :roll:

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Tue May 11, 2010 12:22 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
yes you much have really screwed it up to get a 177 :roll:
haha, fair... but it was the last section, everything had gone fine until then, so I'm still bitter ;-)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”