Need advice on grading option! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LateNight

Bronze

Need advice on grading option!

Post by LateNight » Sat May 08, 2010 5:29 am

I am in a Math Class (College Algebra), I currently have an A (93.4).

I told my teacher, if I do not get an A in the class to just give me the class as a Credit/No Credit class. I explained to him that my GPA is above a 3.66 and that to get a grade below an A would bring down my GPA. He is a cool guy but seemed confused about my request, since I have the highest grade in class.

Will law schools look at a Credit/No Credit course badly? Will I get dinged for it? Would I be better off taking a B plus or A minus than just a simple "Credit"? My gpa is a 3.71 (4.0 at my college, I have some CC courses bringing me down), I am going to tell him that if it is an A- to give that to me, because I think an A- won't hurt my gpa significantly and will look better that I excelled in a Math course (even though I am terrible at Math, hence college algebra, I attribute this to not paying attention in high school).

This class is only a pre-rec to another Math class I am taking this summer. I have to take a letter grade in this class, but the course is actually much easier than the pre-rec because it is just a "topics in math" class and the teacher that teaches it has some serious grade inflation methods (group tests, take home quizes).

What should I do? How bad will a Credit/No Credit course in Math look (remember, it is just a pre-rec basic math course.) I have a few C/NC classes, Spanish Conversation Group, Weightlifting... they did not offer letter grades for these classes.

Thanks for helping me make a good choice!

LateNight

Bronze

Re: Need advice on grading option!

Post by LateNight » Sat May 08, 2010 5:35 am

Let me add something:

I currently only have 1 hours of Credit/ NO Credit on my transcript (for a Spanish conversation group). They didn't offer a grade with this course.

I actually looked and I audited Weight Lifting so that I could get access to the gym at the school during special hours. It doesn't even show up on my official transcript.

So basically would one C/NC Math course hanging out there be worse than a potential (if I bomb the final) B+ in the math class?

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat May 08, 2010 5:39 am

In short, law schools only care about your final GPA. There are, of course, caveats to this. But if it doesn't factor into your actual GPA, then they are likely to not care. I had an "audit class" on my transcript and a "pass/fail" type of course. They didn't seem to care.

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Sat May 08, 2010 5:46 am

OK, this really relieves lots of pressure for the final exam!

I am still going to get an A on that final and an A in the class, no need to not work for it!

:-D

Feynman

New

Post by Feynman » Sat May 08, 2010 6:00 am

You need to look at how LSAC will view this grade. I did not have pass/fail grades, but I think they might be viewed harshly. In other words, taking a pass/fail or credit/no credit might actually hurt your GPA for reporting purposes. Call them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Sat May 08, 2010 6:21 am

If I recall correctly you can take a course as "high pass" and it will count as an A, if they allow grades of that nature. Check the LSAC site.

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Sat May 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Feynman wrote:You need to look at how LSAC will view this grade. I did not have pass/fail grades, but I think they might be viewed harshly. In other words, taking a pass/fail or credit/no credit might actually hurt your GPA for reporting purposes. Call them.
Two seconds of investigation on the LSAC website would prove this false. As long as I pass the court, which I will obviously do considering my 94%, then there is not a problem:

"Passing grades from systems of one or two passing grades (e.g., Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, Credit/No Credit, or Honors/Pass/Fail, High Pass/Pass/Fail), and those for which conversion rules cannot be formulated, including courses for which a transcript gives only narratives or descriptions. Credits for the work in these courses are totaled and reported separately as unconverted credits."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”