How do you all feel about Biglaw? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jacko

New

How do you all feel about Biglaw?

Post by jacko » Fri May 07, 2010 2:16 am

I'm considering going to law school and like many people would consider Biglaw my target exit option. Although document review sounds lame, it sounds like Biglaw is an opportunity to work on important cases later in your career. In addition, trying to meet the billable hours requirement makes it sound like one would need to forgo having any family life whatsoever. So I guess my question is, for those who want Biglaw why does it sound appealing? Just the money? If so, is that enough to compensate for other disadvantages?

twert

Bronze

Re: How do you all feel about Biglaw?

Post by twert » Fri May 07, 2010 2:18 am

i think people want the prestige. there are way better ways to make money but biglaw confers social class. personally its not worth the sacrifices but i'll probably never have the option so its easy for me to disparage.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:19 am

--ImageRemoved--

The one and only reason for big law.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:22 am

twert wrote:i think people want the prestige. there are way better ways to make money but biglaw confers social class. personally its not worth the sacrifices but i'll probably never have the option so its easy for me to disparage.
I'm not sure how much inherent prestige big law has. I don't think the average layman would know which firms are "big law" and which aren't. But they will notice when you drop ridiculous bank buying all the ladies in the hottest nightclub drinks (when you get the free-time, which you wont have...). In other words, I think the prestige comes from the $$$ not anything inherent with the "big law" name. This is different from say a doctor, which does carry a lot of inherent prestige regardless of money.

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Fri May 07, 2010 2:27 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Fri May 07, 2010 2:28 am

legalease9 wrote:(when you get the free-time, which you wont have...)
this too.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:37 am

LateNight wrote:Image
lol, I don't quite get this one...

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Fri May 07, 2010 2:44 am

biglaw sucks

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:48 am

I personally wouldn't do it, but I won't pass judgement on those who do. I jsut see myself doing other things.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Snuffie

New

Post by Snuffie » Fri May 07, 2010 2:51 am

legalease9 wrote:
LateNight wrote:Image
lol, I don't quite get this one...
I took this to mean "conquering the White House."

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri May 07, 2010 2:54 am

i plan on doing biglaw right out of law school, unless i get a nice clerkship in an area i can be in (w/ the SO) and still have a biglaw firm lined up. either way, i am not looking forward to biglaw life...but it does confer great exit options and is a great 'learning' experience.

my current plan is to do biglaw 4-5 yrs, then pop out to do general counsel in-house for corporations...but im a 0L so who knows how my mind will change in the mean time lol

all i know is i dont think id want to stick around 9 yrs to become partner at biglaw because it would take up 90% of my time...im not interested in $1m a yr but no life or time w/ my family...

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:15 am

I typed "biglaw" into a google image search and this was the second picture that came up

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Fri May 07, 2010 3:26 am

I don't know what it meant either, but it is pretty terrible.

Big Law ---> No time with family --> Divorce ---> Loss of Half of all earnings ---> Working twice as long ---> Dying with less free time ---> Dead.

I might be missing something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gochrisgo

Bronze

Post by gochrisgo » Fri May 07, 2010 3:42 am

Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Fri May 07, 2010 3:54 am

DoubleChecks wrote:either way, i am not looking forward to biglaw life...but it does confer great exit options and is a great 'learning' experience.
this is kind of why i might do biglaw after school (if i can get it)

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Fri May 07, 2010 4:10 am

gochrisgo wrote:
LateNight wrote:Big Law ---> No time with family --> Divorce ---> Loss of Half of all earnings ---> Working twice as long ---> Dying with less free time ---> Dead.

another hyphen.

I knew it looked strange. ;)

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:54 am

The thing to realize is that outside of big law, lawyers aren't quitting work at 4, heading to the beach, sipping margaritas and going "what are those other guys thinking?"

The law is a professional and inherently adversarial field that is going to demand time/energy and put you in stressful situations no matter what. Sure, big firm work can be the worst, but for an incremental increase in stress and hours pay can literally triple.

The point is that working in general isn't a picnic, and if you take the parts of big law that are objectively worse/harder/more stressful than any other office job (legal or otherwise) big law starts to look like fantasy land. The perks are incredible, the work can be interesting (if that's your thing), the exit options bountiful, and the compensation down right silly.

People saying things like 'rofl there are better ways to make money' are kidding themselves. Yeah, if you go into ibanking and do well you'll pull down more $$$ than a lawyer. But it's not like fresh faced grads from college are turning down 100K salaries to give law school a shot... it is VERY difficult to find an entry point to a six figure salary in this world, and it almost always requires hard work, sacrifice, and talent. Such is life.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Invisible Man

New

Post by The Invisible Man » Fri May 07, 2010 10:04 am

if i do biglaw, it will be to pay off school debt as quickly as possible. once my debt is gone (or close to done), i'm out.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri May 07, 2010 10:05 am

The Invisible Man wrote:if i do biglaw, it will be to pay off school debt as quickly as possible. once my debt is gone (or close to done), i'm out.
This, but I'm also holding onto the possibility that I might actually like it.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Fri May 07, 2010 10:13 am

LateNight wrote:I don't know what it meant either, but it is pretty terrible.

Big Law ---> No time with family --> Divorce ---> Loss of Half of all earnings ---> Working twice as long ---> Dying with less free time ---> Dead.

Don't get married. No marriage=no divorce.

That said, I would absolutely do it. I might even do it for life. Where else would a tax/bankruptcy lawyer go?

Royal

Bronze

Post by Royal » Fri May 07, 2010 10:23 am

The Invisible Man wrote:if i do biglaw, it will be to pay off school debt as quickly as possible. once my debt is gone (or close to done), i'm out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:25 am

MC Southstar wrote:
This, but I'm also holding onto the possibility that I might actually like it.
+1

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri May 07, 2010 10:26 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 am

The only difference is I don't have to do it (no debt). But biglaw is inifinitely easier to get into than midlaw/tax/bankruptcy boutique fresh out of law school and pays much more. And I might like it, who knows.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 07, 2010 10:38 am

disco_barred wrote:The thing to realize is that outside of big law, lawyers aren't quitting work at 4, heading to the beach, sipping margaritas and going "what are those other guys thinking?"

The law is a professional and inherently adversarial field that is going to demand time/energy and put you in stressful situations no matter what. Sure, big firm work can be the worst, but for an incremental increase in stress and hours pay can literally triple.

The point is that working in general isn't a picnic, and if you take the parts of big law that are objectively worse/harder/more stressful than any other office job (legal or otherwise) big law starts to look like fantasy land. The perks are incredible, the work can be interesting (if that's your thing), the exit options bountiful, and the compensation down right silly.

People saying things like 'rofl there are better ways to make money' are kidding themselves. Yeah, if you go into ibanking and do well you'll pull down more $$$ than a lawyer. But it's not like fresh faced grads from college are turning down 100K salaries to give law school a shot... it is VERY difficult to find an entry point to a six figure salary in this world, and it almost always requires hard work, sacrifice, and talent. Such is life.
It is a pretty severe trade-off to get that money, however. At my nonprofit, most of the attorneys leave between 5 and 6, and the support staff sometimes goes home before 5. I was once in there until 6:30 or so, finishing up a project, and the lights had been turned out when I left. QoL is amazing, and while the salary is less than half of NYC market, I could live on it, but I wouldn't be able to repay my loans if I took that job. It actually pays too much to qualify for my school's LRAP (under $100k to be sure, but still almost double what the average new college grad makes), so I would rely solely on IBR. I should note that I am far from assuming the organization would hire me full time: they have hundreds of applicants for every unpaid summer position they list.

If given the choice, people of TLS, which would you take? I should add that the work is fascinating and personally meaningful. I don't expect that I'd really get an offer from them and an SA--> permanent biglaw offer, but it is an interesting contrast to make.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”