Another LSAC victim. Question. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BizOwner

New

Re: Another LSAC victim. Question.

Post by BizOwner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:32 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
BizOwner wrote:[strike]Call me what you will, but I'm amazed at how so many law school applicants are "T-14 or bust". The OP here has expressed complete frustration over the issue but, at least in any postings, has not showed an interest in what the schools offer other than T-14 prestige.

With all do respect to the OP, do we as applicants get too caught up in the rankings and whore ourselves out, and not evaluate thoroughly what we are subscribing to for the next 3 years?

My perspective may be due to my age (30s) but seriously. Could this "whoring" be symbolic of what your going to provide the legal community after LS?[/strike]
GTFO
??

Obviously T-14 has its significance but do location, specialization, tuition, or anything else play a factor with these people?

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 pm

There is a service that is authorized to review international transcripts in order for them to be accepted at US universities (for transfer students). I wonder if this same service would be acceptable for LSAC. Worth a try to call and find out. Just looked it up, it's called World Education Services.

--LinkRemoved--

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 pm

BizOwner wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:
BizOwner wrote:[strike]Call me what you will, but I'm amazed at how so many law school applicants are "T-14 or bust". The OP here has expressed complete frustration over the issue but, at least in any postings, has not showed an interest in what the schools offer other than T-14 prestige.

With all do respect to the OP, do we as applicants get too caught up in the rankings and whore ourselves out, and not evaluate thoroughly what we are subscribing to for the next 3 years?

My perspective may be due to my age (30s) but seriously. Could this "whoring" be symbolic of what your going to provide the legal community after LS?[/strike]
GTFO
??

Obviously T-14 has its significance but do location, specialization, tuition, or anything else play a factor with these people?
Getting a job should be your only concern. That gets a lot harder after the T14.

This isn't 2007, top 30% at GWU isn't going to get you a good job anymore.

BizOwner

New

Post by BizOwner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 pm

NayBoer wrote:
BizOwner wrote:Call me what you will, but I'm amazed at how so many law school applicants are "T-14 or bust". The OP here has expressed complete frustration over the issue but, at least in any postings, has not showed an interest in what the schools offer other than T-14 prestige.

My perspective may be due to my age (30s) but seriously. Could this "whoring" be symbolic of what your going to provide the legal community after LS?
Don't be so self-righteous.

And fuck the rankings; I just want the job. If I gave a shit about impressing people, I wouldn't be looking into tax law.

There aren't a lot of jobs. Aside from being known quantities with strong reputations, the top schools have already pre-sorted law students based on certain measures of raw ability (like the LSAT) and so forth. Firms rely on this pre-sorting so that they can search for talent in a more limited pool.

If I thought I could pay off my debt and get an interesting, high-paying job going to a lower-prestige school for less money then I would. But I like my chances better in the T14, even though the shot at biglaw from my school is roughly only 1 in 2.

So its all money with you?

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Wed May 05, 2010 12:35 pm

And thank you guys very much for the advice. I will just apply everywhere and see what happens. I feel much better about this now. I know most places are still a long shot, but there was a point today where I was debating whether I shouldn't just work doing something else for a few years and move myself even further away from that nasty number. I think I will apply in the fall across the board, and if I get locked out, I will work in an area that interests me and reapply after another year or two.

And yes, location matters for me. My SO needs to be near a major city for work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Wed May 05, 2010 12:36 pm

gymboree wrote:There is a service that is authorized to review international transcripts in order for them to be accepted at US universities (for transfer students). I wonder if this same service would be acceptable for LSAC. Worth a try to call and find out. Just looked it up, it's called World Education Services.

--LinkRemoved--
LSAC uses a different service, which does not translate your grades into a GPA. It just provides a report that says 'below average', 'average', 'above average', 'superior'.

BizOwner

New

Post by BizOwner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:38 pm

And I'm not being self righteous.

I understand the OP's position very well. I have a 3.0 LSDAS with a undergrad of 3.8. I screwed around 12 years ago in CC while I developed a successful small business that I still run today.

I too have gotten wrapped up in the numbers and rankings. But I feel its important that we step back and recalibrate our perspectives.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed May 05, 2010 12:38 pm

BizOwner wrote:So its all money with you?
If I'm going to make an investment of over $200,000 then I want to know it will be repaid.

Also, I love the idea that I'd be protecting companies and individuals (and their wealth) from the government's reach. So there's a big ethical component for me.

But I'm not going to preach to people that they must find work that has an ethical dimension for them. Some people are carpenters or exterminators or delivery drivers, and there's nothing wrong with a job just to make money.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 pm

BizOwner wrote:And I'm not being self righteous.
Yes, you are.
BizOwner wrote:Could this "whoring" be symbolic of what your going to provide the legal community after LS?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Wed May 05, 2010 12:40 pm

NayBoer wrote:
If I'm going to make an investment of over $200,000 then I want to know it will be repaid.

Also, I love the idea that I'd be protecting companies and individuals (and their wealth) from the government's reach. So there's a big ethical component for me.

But I'm not going to preach to people that they must find work that has an ethical dimension for them. Some people are carpenters or exterminators or delivery drivers, and there's nothing wrong with a job just to make money.
LOL My ethical dimension is the exact opposite of your ethical dimension, but I'd still rather it be that way.

BizOwner

New

Post by BizOwner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:41 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:

I understand the OP's position very well. I have a 3.0 LSDAS with a undergrad of 3.8. I screwed around 12 years ago in CC while I developed a successful small business that I still run today.

I too have gotten wrapped up in the numbers and rankings. But I feel its important that we step back and recalibrate our perspectives.
I'm going to a T14 and want to do PI. Its not about the money, its about being able to secure a goddamn job when I graduate.
A job...i.e. MONEY

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:43 pm

cigrainger wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

LOL My ethical dimension is the exact opposite of your ethical dimension, but I'd still rather it be that way.
America FTW

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 pm

BizOwner wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:

I'm going to a T14 and want to do PI. Its not about the money, its about being able to secure a goddamn job when I graduate.
A job...i.e. MONEY
I'd appreciate it if you'd not hijack the thread with ridiculous arguments. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 pm

BizOwner wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:

A job...i.e. MONEY
Dude, don't worry, you aren't smart enough to have to worry about the T13.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 pm

BizOwner wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:

A job...i.e. MONEY
Ok, wait a second while I change my life goal to unemployment...there, done. Happy now?

BizOwner

New

Post by BizOwner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:45 pm

NayBoer wrote:

Simple economics tells you to not take out the investment of 200K if you don't think it will pay off with a job.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed May 05, 2010 12:45 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Wed May 05, 2010 12:45 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
cigrainger wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

America FTW
It one of the main reasons I want to be a lawyer. It's sappy but I love that 'Equal justice under law' is written on the Supreme Court Building.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed May 05, 2010 12:46 pm

BizOwner wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

Simple economics tells you to not take out the investment of 200K if you don't think it will pay off with a job.

Stop sucking

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:46 pm

BizOwner wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

And here you stumble onto the reason people are T13 or bust.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed May 05, 2010 12:47 pm

BizOwner wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

Yes! Thank you for agreeing with me that there are non-prestige whore reasons why getting into top schools is so important.

I'll stop feeding the hijack now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:47 pm

The cool thing about the law is that the ethics are actually pretty simple: every dispute - every single one - has two sides. People have a right to effective counsel and to make their case. Judges aren't morons, and justice is more than a buzz word. The stereotype of the corporate shill is a little over done, especially on boards like these.

Most corporate attorneys do substantial amount of pro bono. The corporations they represent employ people and turn the gears of the economy that keep the economy afloat. Capitalism is a good thing. It needs checks, but people's desire to earn money is extraordinarily healthy.

The system has a lot of kinks in it, but to stereotype the legal profession as 'noble crusader for individuals' or 'corporate whore trading ethics for a paycheck' is a gross over simplification at best.

/soap box

BizOwner

New

Post by BizOwner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 pm

cigrainger wrote:
BizOwner wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:

I'd appreciate it if you'd not hijack the thread with ridiculous arguments. Thanks.
Your right. I apologize

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Wed May 05, 2010 1:24 pm

So, depending on my LSAT, but assuming I don't score MUCH lower than my current averages (and I have 3 weeks of pure LSAT studying after my last exam), this is my list:

Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Berkeley
Penn
Mich
Northwestern
Georgetown
UCLA

Like I said before, I'm bounded in by the fact that my SO has to be able to find a job. I worry about Mich in this regard, but she's planning on getting an MPP, so she may just apply to go to school there. If you can convince me that she could get a paid job doing something policy (particularly social policy) related in Palo Alto, New Haven, Charlottesville, Durham, and/or Ithaca.

Edit: Also, I'd like the degree to be portable, but preferably to the coasts or Chicago. Interested in plaintiff's firms, PI, or gov't work, maybe in enviro, labour/employment, antitrust, securities, consumer protection, etc. I'm open to seeing what I enjoy when I get to law school.
Last edited by cigrainger on Wed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:27 pm

cigrainger wrote:So, depending on my LSAT, but assuming I don't score MUCH lower than my current averages (and I have 3 weeks of pure LSAT studying after my last exam), this is my list:

Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
Berkeley
Penn
Mich
Northwestern
Georgetown
UCLA

Like I said before, I'm bounded in by the fact that my SO has to be able to find a job. I worry about Mich in this regard, but she's planning on getting an MPP, so she may just apply to go to school there. If you can convince me that she could get a paid job doing something policy (particularly social policy) related in Palo Alto, New Haven, Charlottesville, Durham, and/or Ithaca.
Ballsy. I like it. But you seem smart, so you probably realize that even if you don't get in to those schools, it's risky to go to lower ranked schools.

I'd consider adding a school or two like Illinois/BU/BC/USC/Fordham. Your situation might get you big money from some lesser ranked schools who want your LSAT and see you as a strong applicant but also don't need to maintain their gpa medians at all costs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”