Should I change majors with one semester left? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LateNight

Bronze

Re: Should I change majors with one semester left?

Post by LateNight » Wed May 05, 2010 2:00 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
LateNight wrote:I am about to rock a 4.15GPA this semester with 21 credit hours (7 classes). This is equivilant to 20% of all my other classes! GPA bump will be .07! To a solid 3.81 with two semesters left.

Edit: My target is WUSTL with a reach for Northwestern.
Northwestern considers work experience a major soft and if you are coming right out of undergrad you would have to have really ballin numbers to compensate for the lack of experience..and even then you would be facing an uphill battle.

I have two years of professional work experience. I worked for two years managing a staff of 5, up to 15 people, in the top targeted incumbent House race in 2006 and again in 2008. A race which the Washington Post called "the best run incumbent race of 2006".

Does that count?

Edit for clarity: I was the Field Director for this campaign in 2008, and a regional director 2006 in the most hostile region. I worked part-time for the campaign during the off-season and took 2 semesters off during the on-season in 2008 to run the entire field operation, we raised and spent 3 million dollars. This incumbent was also in the district right next to Northwestern, so they should be familiar with the Congresscritter.

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Wed May 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Do LOR's from former bosses carry weight at Northwestern? I would not want the Congresswoman to write a letter, because I think doing that comes off as a bit crass and arrogant. What about my former boss or her chief-of-staff? Should I just stick to traditional letters from teachers? I have had several teachers who are professors at NU.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed May 05, 2010 5:10 pm

LateNight wrote:Do LOR's from former bosses carry weight at Northwestern? I would not want the Congresswoman to write a letter, because I think doing that comes off as a bit crass and arrogant. What about my former boss or her chief-of-staff? Should I just stick to traditional letters from teachers? I have had several teachers who are professors at NU.
I only submitted employer LORs. I am ~5 years out.

A politician is fine as long as they have actual information to relay. I used a politician, but he had specific things to say about my responsibilities. Stick to people who can give concrete examples or anecdotes about you. "J. Doe got an A in my class" is 100% worthless.

Edit - also, mention somewhere (resume, PS, both, whatever) that you managed people. If the people you managed were paid staff, and not volunteers, say that. Titles in campaigns are all fucked up, so Regional Political Director can mean running the show or walking precincts.
Last edited by NayBoer on Wed May 05, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed May 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Law school admissions may not care about your UG major, but the legal employer you apply to might.

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Wed May 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks for the input. Yes I managed paid staff and also volunteers, but the volunteers were managed not directly by me, but by my staff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed May 05, 2010 6:00 pm

LateNight wrote:Thanks for the input. Yes I managed paid staff and also volunteers, but the volunteers were managed not directly by me, but by my staff.
I'd mention that in the resume, if you can find a non-douche way to do so.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed May 05, 2010 6:06 pm

tkgrrett wrote: You can easily bump 15 points in four weeks of studying if you are starting from scratch.
sorry my post here is a bit irrelevant...but to the above quoted...no.

Possible? Very. Easily bump a 155 to a 170 in 4 weeks? Doubtful. Maybe if all you did was study for the LSAT, but then that isn't 'easily.' Casual study w/ some moments of intensity (i.e. week before actual LSAT)...id vote 2 months.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed May 05, 2010 6:10 pm

--ImageRemoved--

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed May 05, 2010 7:20 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: You can easily bump 15 points in four weeks of studying if you are starting from scratch.
sorry my post here is a bit irrelevant...but to the above quoted...no.

Possible? Very. Easily bump a 155 to a 170 in 4 weeks? Doubtful. Maybe if all you did was study for the LSAT, but then that isn't 'easily.' Casual study w/ some moments of intensity (i.e. week before actual LSAT)...id vote 2 months.
I would say even 4 weeks of straight LSAT a 155 -> 170 is highly improbable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Wed May 05, 2010 9:18 pm

NayBoer wrote:
LateNight wrote:Thanks for the input. Yes I managed paid staff and also volunteers, but the volunteers were managed not directly by me, but by my staff.
I'd mention that in the resume, if you can find a non-douche way to do so.

The whole reason I don't want to get the letter from a politician is it might come across very douche.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”