Best note-taking software? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lbeezy

Gold

Re: Best note-taking software?

Post by lbeezy » Sat May 01, 2010 11:56 pm

I have a mac and use the circus ponies notebook program. It's decent, the only issue I have with it is with pasting things in from another source.

Honestly though, Word probably works just as well. There's even the notebook setting.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun May 02, 2010 12:39 am

lbeezy wrote:I have a mac and use the circus ponies notebook program.
i don't think this could have sounded more girly kindergarteny

peterswe

New

Post by peterswe » Sun May 02, 2010 1:18 am

lbeezy wrote:It's decent, the only issue I have with it is with pasting things in from another source.
Could you elaborate a little. Think I might give these circus ponies a try.

lbeezy

Gold

Post by lbeezy » Sun May 02, 2010 9:55 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
lbeezy wrote:I have a mac and use the circus ponies notebook program.
i don't think this could have sounded more girly kindergarteny
Hehehehe. I have the really pretty computer! It's pink and has an apple on it and it's so so fast. My mommy calls it a mac, which is silly because it doesn't look like macaroni! .... you get the point.
peterswe wrote:
lbeezy wrote:It's decent, the only issue I have with it is with pasting things in from another source.
Could you elaborate a little. Think I might give these circus ponies a try.
A few times I took reading notes in word, or would want to paste in a definition straight from a law dictionary, and it wouldn't let me treat that text like regular text from the program. Hm. You know how in word when you paste things in you can tell it to keep text only or match destination formatting? You can't do stuff like that in notebook (or if you can, I haven't figured it out yet, and I feel like I've kind of messed around with it).

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sun May 02, 2010 10:01 am

r6_philly wrote:
I wouldn't need to look at notes in class.
I understand your point and I am not a 1l yet so take this with a large grain of salt::

This may have worked for you in undergrad but I doubt it will in lawl school. I can easily imagine that trying to juggle the facts, issue, holding, quotations, etc of 4-5 different cases or more, for 4-5 different classes, in your head, with enough competency to successfully and articulately answer your prof's questions, would be difficult to say the least.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun May 02, 2010 10:29 am

goosey wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:A spiral notebook is what I have planned.
+1

I know I will look like I am still in 7th grade, but I actually learn better when I write things down and then later type them out into proper notes

ragnarok545

New

Post by ragnarok545 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:43 am

I've been a pretty heavy note taker all throughout undergrad and Microsoft Office 2004 (mac version) has worked like a charm. You can change the view to "notebook", which essentially turns the document into a outline based (bullets are automatically inserted) notebook with convenient tabs on the side to switch between class dates or subjects. You can also manually draw something if you need to, so I'm not sure what OneNote does that Word (at least the 2004 version) does not already. 2008 probably has the same feature, but I can't comment from experience.

domeafavor

New

Post by domeafavor » Sun May 02, 2010 12:27 pm

ragnarok545 wrote:I've been a pretty heavy note taker all throughout undergrad and Microsoft Office 2004 (mac version) has worked like a charm. You can change the view to "notebook", which essentially turns the document into a outline based (bullets are automatically inserted) notebook with convenient tabs on the side to switch between class dates or subjects. You can also manually draw something if you need to, so I'm not sure what OneNote does that Word (at least the 2004 version) does not already. 2008 probably has the same feature, but I can't comment from experience.
I have Office 2008 for Mac, but had never used this. So I just poked around a bit, and it's pretty cool! All those functions are there, and there's an audio notes function. Thanks for the tip!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”