Motorcycle in LS ? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Motorcycle in LS ?

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:30 pm

shock259 wrote:That's true. Still, it's an absolutely wonderful way for a new rider to get acquainted with the basics. The course can turn someone that doesn't know how to turn a bike on into someone who is making emergency evasive maneuvers at decent speeds. It gives you the confidence you need to ride, in my opinion. And it also gives you the proper mindset of scanning and being alert that can keep you alive.
I am a MSF grad, and so is my wife. As a matter of fact I made her take the course even though I could have taught her. It is a wonderful option, especially in PA because it's free and you get your M endorsement when you pass the course and you get a discount on insurance.

MSachmorov

New

Post by MSachmorov » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:54 pm

gwuorbust wrote:Hey all,

So there is a good chance I will be going to Tulane in the Fall unless I get off a WL (plz GWU, if you are reading this, let me in!!!). As you may know parking in LANO is pretty difficult and I plan on living off campus.. so will need to commute to campus each day. I thought about a bicycle but am not really feeling it. Could do a car, but hard to park. And will not do LANO public transport.

So what about a motorcycle ? I have never owned one but think I would like to to. How about safety... is it too much of a risk?

Hey,
I haven't read all the posts on here, so forgive me if some of this is repeated. I am an avid rider (I actually ride everyday to school) and first I think it's great you are considering getting a motorcycle! If you decide to go through with it, it will be the best choice you will have ever made! The pleasure you get from riding is...unexplainable, only those who have done it/do it understand.

I don't think driving a motorcycle is too much of a risk...especially if you are a responsible person. Like one of the posters already mentioned loss of control is the number 1 cause of accidents. So if you're careful you should be fine, especially once you have some miles behind you (but never get cocky because new things can, and often do, pop up). Also, the main thing is you have to watch out for other drivers. Let's face it, people are stupid and if they don't see two headlights they tend not to pay attention. Additionally, if you buy the right protective gear (helmet, gloves, and jacket at the minimum) you will be fine. They even have jackets now with airbags inside of them!

So, if you watch out and be responsible, wear the right stuff, and get comfortable on your machine you will be safe and enjoy driving to school everyday!
Like I said, I ride everyday and I plan on taking my bike to law school to avoid many of the issues you brought up (e.g. traffic and parking).

If I were you, I would take the introductory riding course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It can get a little pricey but it's worth it because you learn a lot. When you take the course they pretty much teach you how to ride a bike and you get a lot of hands on experience. So take the course, decide if you enjoy riding (which I am sure you will) and if you like, get your license and find a bike! As a warning though, bikes are addictive!

Finally, I did see that you posted about theft. Sadly, there is nothing you can really do; if someone wants your bike bad enough, they are going to take it. The best thing you can do is have a bike that is not too desirable, be careful where you park, and store the bike in an area where it is a hassle to steal. For example, my apartment complex has bicycle racks on the sidewalk. Everyday when I come home I drive on the sidewalk and park the bike in the middle of the rack. As added protection, the way the bike rack is situated is perfect because other cars are right in front of the bike so it would be a major hassle for someone to take it.
There are locks you can buy, but most of them will just be a hassle for a motivated thief. Either way, don't let that deter you from getting a bike, plus insurance is really affordable, much better than car rates!

Anyway, I hope this helps you in your decision. If you have any other questions feel free to ask! I promise you'll love riding (and gas is ridiculously affordable) and plus if you get a bike you get to throw out a cool "hey I am in the motorcycle club too" hand sign to other riders :mrgreen:

Lisa7n99

New

Post by Lisa7n99 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:05 pm

I am learning to ride now, but am not good enough yet to take one to school :) My husband rides an 1100 cc Honda Shadow in NM each day to work/school. Weather wise, out here anyway, he loves it. Needless to say, he has saddlebags for all his stuff. For security, he has a "turn lock" (not sure that's the official name). But like he says, if four offensive line man want it, they'll take it. So far, he's had no troubles with security and his bike is cheap to insure (but he's over 25 with a clean driving record so that will depend of course).

He also got his motorcycle endorsement through a class at the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. You get to practice on smaller bikes, and avoid altogether the drivers test that way. Not a bad option. Not sure any of this helps but thought I'd throw it out there...

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:56 pm

IMHO, riding a motorcycle daily in NO would be pretty dangerous. Also, the roads there are complete shit.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:09 am

I forgot to add that bit about the roads. Very sound advice. I went to Tulane for ASW and the roads there are the worst I have ever seen. I'm not sure if it is a Katrina thing or if the city just doesn't care, but they are atrocious. You will really have to be careful and extra alert to not get yourself in trouble.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

T14

Bronze

Post by T14 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:28 am

r6_philly wrote:
shock259 wrote:That's true. Still, it's an absolutely wonderful way for a new rider to get acquainted with the basics. The course can turn someone that doesn't know how to turn a bike on into someone who is making emergency evasive maneuvers at decent speeds. It gives you the confidence you need to ride, in my opinion. And it also gives you the proper mindset of scanning and being alert that can keep you alive.
I am a MSF grad, and so is my wife. As a matter of fact I made her take the course even though I could have taught her. It is a wonderful option, especially in PA because it's free and you get your M endorsement when you pass the course and you get a discount on insurance.

I also think the course is worth taking. I'm positive it saved my life several times when I first started riding. Also, nice to see some fellow riders going to LS. I was thinking of bringing my bike to law school but riding from the far west coast to the far east coast would be a hell of a trip. Especially on my R1 which gets pretty uncomfortable after only a couple hours at most. r6_philly, what year is your Yamaha? mine looks like this one:

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Sat May 01, 2010 2:18 am

T14 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I also think the course is worth taking. I'm positive it saved my life several times when I first started riding. Also, nice to see some fellow riders going to LS. I was thinking of bringing my bike to law school but riding from the far west coast to the far east coast would be a hell of a trip. Especially on my R1 which gets pretty uncomfortable after only a couple hours at most. r6_philly, what year is your Yamaha? mine looks like this one:

awesome bike T14...

oh and did u defer a year from HLS?

T14

Bronze

Post by T14 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:20 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
awesome bike T14...

oh and did u defer a year from HLS?
Yea I did defer for one year. Starting September 2011 :mrgreen:

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Sat May 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Sold my motorcycle today :'(

Goodbye 2007 Yamaha r6, we've had a great 3 years together..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat May 01, 2010 2:47 pm

T14 wrote: I also think the course is worth taking. I'm positive it saved my life several times when I first started riding. Also, nice to see some fellow riders going to LS. I was thinking of bringing my bike to law school but riding from the far west coast to the far east coast would be a hell of a trip. Especially on my R1 which gets pretty uncomfortable after only a couple hours at most. r6_philly, what year is your Yamaha? mine looks like this one:
I always liked the flame job. I had R6's of every model year up to 06, when I started racing Kaw ZX6RR's. I still have a 99R6 (my first one), a ZX10 and a Husky SM610S. I am going to buy myself a MV Augusta and A Duc 1098 for graduation present when I get out of LS! :mrgreen: well I hope...

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sat May 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Always Credited wrote:
This is entirely off topic, but fuck Tulane. Stick to your handle and wait for GWU if its what you really want...even if it takes an extra year. Just sayin' :wink:
yeah it is off topic, but I have to say that is kinda where I am at right now as well. It is what I really want but idk if my LSAT will go up if I take it again and I don't want to take a year off for nothing (tho there is plenty that I could do). sigh, I have kinda resigned myself to Tulane at this point and try to use the schly $$ to justify it.

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Sat May 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Hmm, I've been tossing around the idea of getting my motorcycle license - do you know anything about fitting a motorcycle to an extremely short person? I'm only 5'0" and rented a motorcycle in Peru for a few days and had a lot of problems with control when I came to a stop and had to put one foot on the ground (at one point crashing headfirst into a wall at 20km/hr, and also dropping the bike several times.) Obviously some of that was because I've never ridden before, but I think bike fit was a problem as well. They had already basically cut out all of the suspension on the bike I was using, and couldn't get it any lower... am I just screwed? Are there any bikes that are better for smaller people?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat May 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Haribo wrote:Hmm, I've been tossing around the idea of getting my motorcycle license - do you know anything about fitting a motorcycle to an extremely short person? I'm only 5'0" and rented a motorcycle in Peru for a few days and had a lot of problems with control when I came to a stop and had to put one foot on the ground (at one point crashing headfirst into a wall at 20km/hr, and also dropping the bike several times.) Obviously some of that was because I've never ridden before, but I think bike fit was a problem as well. They had already basically cut out all of the suspension on the bike I was using, and couldn't get it any lower... am I just screwed? Are there any bikes that are better for smaller people?
You will have a tough time with any sportbikes. I am 5'7 and I have to tip toe both sides usually. You can lower the bike but it renders the bike less agile and more dangerous to ride. You will not have any problem riding it, but many times you have to stop on an incline, or worse, uneven pavement you will have lots of problems. However there are a few bikes that comes pretty low stock. I have a Suzuki GS500 that I let me wife ride (5'2) she has no problem at all. the Kaw EX500 is a bit taller. EX250 is shorter but too weak of a bike. Cruisers are usually shorter but they are also heavier and I don't know if they are the kind of bikes you are looking for. Just try not to get a bike and lower it, it is one of the worst things you can do to a bike. I owned a suspension tuning business, trust me you want to consider it as a last resort. Most of my fellow pro racers are shorter than me and they can only touch the ground with one leg. When you are experience it is no big deal, I never use 2 legs, but when you start it is a challenge. Look into the 500's, go to dealer and sit on them and see.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Sat May 01, 2010 5:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Haribo wrote:Hmm, I've been tossing around the idea of getting my motorcycle license - do you know anything about fitting a motorcycle to an extremely short person? I'm only 5'0" and rented a motorcycle in Peru for a few days and had a lot of problems with control when I came to a stop and had to put one foot on the ground (at one point crashing headfirst into a wall at 20km/hr, and also dropping the bike several times.) Obviously some of that was because I've never ridden before, but I think bike fit was a problem as well. They had already basically cut out all of the suspension on the bike I was using, and couldn't get it any lower... am I just screwed? Are there any bikes that are better for smaller people?
You will have a tough time with any sportbikes. I am 5'7 and I have to tip toe both sides usually. You can lower the bike but it renders the bike less agile and more dangerous to ride. You will not have any problem riding it, but many times you have to stop on an incline, or worse, uneven pavement you will have lots of problems. However there are a few bikes that comes pretty low stock. I have a Suzuki GS500 that I let me wife ride (5'2) she has no problem at all. the Kaw EX500 is a bit taller. EX250 is shorter but too weak of a bike. Cruisers are usually shorter but they are also heavier and I don't know if they are the kind of bikes you are looking for. Just try not to get a bike and lower it, it is one of the worst things you can do to a bike. I owned a suspension tuning business, trust me you want to consider it as a last resort. Most of my fellow pro racers are shorter than me and they can only touch the ground with one leg. When you are experience it is no big deal, I never use 2 legs, but when you start it is a challenge. Look into the 500's, go to dealer and sit on them and see.
I agree, I am not the tallest person either and at first I was not good enough to just use one leg; however, as you get more comfortable on the bike the one leg prop thing becomes easier to do and you get used to it. I have heard from other people that this is their preferred method of standing, especially if they are short. It works, just take your time and get comfortable with the bike first.

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Sat May 01, 2010 6:11 pm

Neo wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I agree, I am not the tallest person either and at first I was not good enough to just use one leg; however, as you get more comfortable on the bike the one leg prop thing becomes easier to do and you get used to it. I have heard from other people that this is their preferred method of standing, especially if they are short. It works, just take your time and get comfortable with the bike first.
Yeah, I obviously wasn't even close to using two legs, but even with one leg I can't put my whole foot down and had to just use my tip-toe to try and keep upright... and this was on a 250cc (Honda Tornado) with the suspension bottomed out. It sounds like some of it is just finding the right bike and getting more comfortable with it. :) (And, obviously, taking an actual motorcycle safety course instead of a 1-hour lesson in a Peruvian field, hehe.)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat May 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Haribo wrote: Yeah, I obviously wasn't even close to using two legs, but even with one leg I can't put my whole foot down and had to just use my tip-toe to try and keep upright... and this was on a 250cc (Honda Tornado) with the suspension bottomed out. It sounds like some of it is just finding the right bike and getting more comfortable with it. :) (And, obviously, taking an actual motorcycle safety course instead of a 1-hour lesson in a Peruvian field, hehe.)
Off road bikes are build to have high ground clearance so you are not expected to touch the ground easily. Most pro motorcrossers need a box to get on the bike. Road bikes are actually shorter because there is no need for ground clearance. Also remember you are probably light as well. Most road bikes are build for 2 person, so the rear spring rate is designed for 2 persons. If you put the right spring on the shock you can get it to sag another 2 inches or more which will make it much easier to ride - both in terms of ride height and comfort.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Sat May 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Get a scooter. If you're still attending Stanford, I can tell you from personal experience that a scooter would work very well around campus. Most students are happy just riding bikes around. You definitely won't need a car to cruise around campus & down El Camino, etc., and you could always take Caltrain to SF if you won't have a car altogether.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Brinson

New

Post by Brinson » Sun May 09, 2010 12:19 am

Don't know where I'll be going but am also considering a motorcycle. Specifically, thinking of getting a Honda Rebel 250. MSRP of $3400 looks pretty nice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”