UCLA vs GULC vs Reapplying...2 cents anyone? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What to do?

UCLA 60K
27%
you shoulda taken 93k from UT...
10%
GULC sticker...T14 all the way lolz
7%
retake and reapply
17%
don't retake...just reapply
40%

Total votes: 30

IvanFK

New

UCLA vs GULC vs Reapplying...2 cents anyone?

Post by IvanFK » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:10 pm

174/3.6
Having a terrible cycle. Waitlisted from every target school. Got really behind in the cycle (had to retake the december LSAT and the fall transcript update request delayed going under review until Jan-Feb)

So currently my choices are...
UCLA with 60k for 3 yrs
GULC at sticker (not really a very smart choice. i think)
Retake the June LSAT (been averaging ~177 on practice tests - please don't ask me questions like am I timing myself) and reapply in Sept next cycle...maybe do an ED at Columbia or Chicago

I'm from Norcal and I would like to come back to the Bay Area to practice in a law firm.

What do people think?

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Re: UCLA vs GULC vs Reapplying...2 cents anyone?

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:11 pm

When did you send your apps in?

Lermontov

Bronze

Post by Lermontov » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:13 pm

Damn, you must've applied way late.
If you've got something to do, take the time off. If not, UCLA.

IvanFK

New

Post by IvanFK » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:43 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:When did you send your apps in?
maybe mid-nov? So i heard back from GULC by dec. but most others held my app incomplete til dec score came out...nyu & columbia asked for my fall grades in feb b4 they started reviewing my app

Lermontov wrote:Damn, you must've applied way late.
I am currently looking for a job. I really wouldn't mind doing some volunteering work either though

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:48 pm

Reapply, don't retake. If you were PTing with an average of 177, a score drop of 2-3 isn't really unheard of, especially considering the difference between 177 and 174 is so few questions.

That said, you should get in a lot more places with money if you apply early. Also, you can review your materials to make sure you didn't screw anything up as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diskette15

New

Post by Diskette15 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:12 am

+1 You must have applied really late or have some major "red flags" in your application that you aren't telling us about because you should be getting $$ at T14 schools with those numbers. UCLA for California is obviously not a bad choice, but you should be able to do better than that. DISCLAIMER:I was in a retake/reapply situation last year (but with a much lower LSAT score) and this is all my opinion, but here's what I would do in your position:

(assuming there are no "red flags" that we don't know about)
Withdraw (dont deposit at either) from UCLA/GULC with the intention to reapply to law school as soon as the application is open next fall

Remain on whatever T14 WLs that you are currently on that you would consider attending this year (getting in because of a June LSAT score increase/getting pulled off a WL because you have good numbers to begin with might happen)

Make sure your whole application is as polished as can be and have well planned and researched "Why Law School X" essays for every school that allows it to avoid a YP

I'm sure Columbia/Chicago would take you to California, but realize an ED means full tuition. I'm a bit biased (Go Blue!), but according to LSN you could be looking at $$$ at a school like Michigan, which is known to be pretty decent for California placement. Only ED if a school is truly your #1 and if you would take it regardless of any other potential scholarship offers that you could expect with your numbers. Hope some of this helped and good luck with your decision!

IvanFK

New

Post by IvanFK » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:05 am

Diskette15 wrote:
+1 You must have applied really late or have some major "red flags" in your application that you aren't telling us about because you should be getting $$ at T14 schools with those numbers.
the only red flag would be a slight downward trend in grades (not like a lot...just maybe .02 or so per sem?)

maybe one of my rec was kind of weak...which i can replace with one from my PT work employer

aside from that...i can't think of anything i don't have any criminal records or anything like that.

Diskette why did you say that I should not put in a deposit at either.

seattlite

New

Post by seattlite » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 am

This year has been really weird from what I can see based on the huge increase in the number of applications (even though the number of people applying has only increased slightly). Having said that, it seems that you indicated that you applied in November. That is pretty early from what I have read / experienced so I am not sure what to say as far as why your cycle has gone as it has. Stay on whatever T14 WLs you are on and see if you get admitted to any that suit your fancy and / or are given $ to go there.

I don't think you should go to UCLA with $60K or Georgetown at sticker unless either of those schools are really calling your name. I think you should reapply next year and not retake the LSAT. Your LSAT is incredibly high, and, IMHO, the economy is getting better so I think next year's application cycle should be a lot easier than this years' cycle. I think you should try to get a job that is somewhat applicable to law school and where you can make valuable connections for 1L and 2L summers (and, then, hopefully after graduation).

I think you should rewrite your personal statement, possibly get a new recommendation for the one that you said might be a little weak, and apply at the very start of the cycle. Cast as wide a net as possible, get admissions consulting advice on your personal statement this summer (to make sure it is stellar), and do as many EDs that are non-binding as possible. If there is an absolute 1st choice in school, you might want to do a binding ED with them and hope for the best in terms of scholarship $ from them. 8)

Your stats are amazing, and if I were you, I would just wait it out and chalk this year's cycle to the fact that God is indicating to you that it might just not be the right time for you to enter law school. Getting a year of work experience can only help you in the long run (presuming that you use the time effectively). :wink:

I am sure that you will make the right decision, but please realize that law school is an expensive proposition and right now you are in the driver's seat. Once you enter law school, your LSAT score becomes null and void effectively so you should be leveraging that as much as possible during this application phase.

Best of luck to you! :)

Diskette15

New

Post by Diskette15 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:44 am

IvanFK wrote:
Diskette15 wrote:
+1 You must have applied really late or have some major "red flags" in your application that you aren't telling us about because you should be getting $$ at T14 schools with those numbers.
the only red flag would be a slight downward trend in grades (not like a lot...just maybe .02 or so per sem?)

maybe one of my rec was kind of weak...which i can replace with one from my PT work employer

aside from that...i can't think of anything i don't have any criminal records or anything like that.

Diskette what did you decide in your situation?
Thats not really a red flag IMO; I was thinking more like criminal record/suspension/expelled. If you decide to reapply, fix the rec situation.

My situation: long story short, I was a 163/3.6 that applied in late Dec/early Jan and ended up on 5 WL in the top 20-30 and deposited at American at sticker. Retook the LSAT in June to try and get a point or two to get off a WL. Ended up getting a 169 (still short of my low 170s PT average but much more reflective of my ability) and decided to work for a year/reapply as early as I could. I'm headed to Michigan in the fall and couldn't be happier with my decision to reapply.

Granted, there is no guarantee that next cycle will turn out better for you, but, with better #s than me, I'd be willing to take the bet that your options next year would be better than what you have now. Make sure you think long and hard about your own situation though...I'm posting to show that waiting a year is certainly a viable option. Ultimately, you have assess your own situation and determine what the right choice is. Good luck!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:53 am

Tons of people apply with a Dec. LSAT score - that alone doesn't explain your terrible cycle. Not sure what else you can do differently next year, since your LSAT is already well above every school's 75th percentile except HY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”