Dumbest Law School Move you know of......... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pastels

Bronze

Dumbest Law School Move you know of.........

Post by Pastels » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:34 am

What is the dumbest law school move/decision you have heard of someone making?

Personally: I have a friend who took a year off, got into U San Francisco, is taking out 200K of loans to attend the school but wants to go back to NYC after graduation to try to work in the private sector and make big law.

......Le'ts hear em people.

Drake014

Silver

Re: Dumbest Law School Move you know of.........

Post by Drake014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:47 am

Attending

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Drake014 wrote:Attending
:lol: :lol: :lol:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:02 pm

There is a kid on here who has a full ride to go to his state school, his parents are going to help him with law school, and he's got a guaranteed job with his folks lined up for aftwards. He'll be a millionaire in less than ten years if he goes this route. But this kid is thinking about taking a year off to retake the LSAT so he can get into a better school and pay for it himself.

Oh hey pastels...

(kidding... :D )

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:04 pm

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Ave Marie's move from Ann Arbor to Naples. Naples is certainly a beautiful area, but the high COL plus their already high tuition is a big turnoff now. They should have stayed in Ann Arbor where there is less competition.

EDIT: Ann Arbor IS a whore, though...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:08 pm

traehekat wrote:Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Ava Marie's move from Ann Arbor to Naples. Naples is certainly a beautiful area, but the high COL plus their already high tuition is a big turnoff now. They should have stayed in Ann Arbor where there is less competition.

There was an article about Ave a while ago, I remember getting the impression that they were on their way to becoming a respectable third tier school (a'la not Cooley or Florida Coastal), but the move to Florida ruined them. Its always Florida. Just sink already.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
traehekat wrote:Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Ava Marie's move from Ann Arbor to Naples. Naples is certainly a beautiful area, but the high COL plus their already high tuition is a big turnoff now. They should have stayed in Ann Arbor where there is less competition.

There was an article about Ave a while ago, I remember getting the impression that they were on their way to becoming a respectable third tier school (a'la not Cooley or Florida Coastal), but the move to Florida ruined them. Its always Florida. Just sink already.
Wait...this is a joke right? Please tell me that you don't really care whatsoever about ave maria. I'm not even joking...if I got riled up about the dumb shit that TTT and TTTTs did, I don't think id be able to function.

Fuck, Cooley bought a stadium. Does that bother me? No. Should it? Maybe. But, again, I'm impervious to TTTT existence.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:43 pm

"I'll start studying for the June LSAT at the end of may, I just want to get into DePaul and I don't need a scholarship anyway"

aPosseAdEsse

Bronze

Post by aPosseAdEsse » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:53 pm

"why do you care about scholarship money at admission? I don't care about tuition because after my first semester grades I'm going to get a scholarship then, and + every summer I'll make like $30k at my summer firm gig."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:04 pm

"Ain't no thing but a chicken wing. Sure, I have 2.96/152, but I'm just gonnna transfer after 1L anyhow. Probably NYU, Stanford if I wanna be warmer"

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:07 pm

I don't know but the kid who lied to financial aid at Michigan when negotiating scholarships has to be among the dumbest things I have ever seen or heard of a law applicant doing. They threw away a good thing and probably threw away all their law school school offers:

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:13 pm

lt0826 wrote:I don't know but the kid who lied to financial aid at Michigan when negotiating scholarships has to be among the dumbest things I have ever seen or heard of a law applicant doing. They threw away a good thing and probably threw away all their law school school offers:

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17

...and that kid got into Michigan :shakes head:

I have a friend that has a 162 LSAT, yet is going to a T-4 with no scholarship instead of a T-2 with 20k a year because "they like the area the school is in."

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:30 pm

traehekat wrote:Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Ave Marie's move from Ann Arbor to Naples. Naples is certainly a beautiful area, but the high COL plus their already high tuition is a big turnoff now. They should have stayed in Ann Arbor where there is less competition.

For what it is worth, Michigan's population is declining, and will continue to do so for quite some time. Florida's, on the other hand, should by and large continue to rise for quite some time (it may go down from time to time for short durations). With Michigan, Mich. St, Wayne St. all placing better at least, and Cooley taking all of the rejects from those programs with partial scholarships, it is hard to see how Ave Maria could find its niche (of charging tuition with no significant prospects of legal employment) in Michigan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

night06

New

Post by night06 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:49 pm

I took my LSAT at an unaccredited school in California. Much of the chatter prior to the exam was from people who were retaking (this was the June LSAT) with the hopes that if they did well this time, they'd be able to start at that very school in the Fall. They then proceeded to joke about how expensive it would be, saying something along the lines of "oh well, we'll be able to make it back easily as lawyers!" :shock:

I don't want to sound like a prick, but if you're scoring so low that you need a retake in order to gain admission to an unaccredited school... well, law school is probably not for you.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:56 pm

I turned down Cornell to go to Cooley, but given that Cooley is ranked 12th and Cornell is ranked 45th, I feel that this is a smart move on my part: --LinkRemoved-- Cornell was tempting, but Cooley's astronomical library square footage per student ratio was the clincher. I just hope my Cooley degree will be national enough to get me NYC biglaw.

nyknicks

Bronze

Post by nyknicks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:10 pm

90K NU, for Fordham full ride.

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:13 pm

nyknicks wrote:90K NU, for Fordham full ride.
effing retarded

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:14 pm

acdisagod wrote:I turned down Cornell to go to Cooley, but given that Cooley is ranked 12th and Cornell is ranked 45th, I feel that this is a smart move on my part: --LinkRemoved-- Cornell was tempting, but Cooley's astronomical library square footage per student ratio was the clincher. I just hope my Cooley degree will be national enough to get me NYC biglaw.
wrong thread bozo. this is for dumbest decisions, not capt'n obvious ones.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:14 pm

What is it with New Yorkers who refuse to leave their city for any reason. It's always New Yorkers.
Last edited by 09042014 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
What is it with New Yorkers who refuse to leave their school for any reason. It's always New Yorkers.
because how could anything outside of new york be good?

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:19 pm

night06 wrote:I took my LSAT at an unaccredited school in California. Much of the chatter prior to the exam was from people who were retaking (this was the June LSAT) with the hopes that if they did well this time, they'd be able to start at that very school in the Fall. They then proceeded to joke about how expensive it would be, saying something along the lines of "oh well, we'll be able to make it back easily as lawyers!" :shock:

I don't want to sound like a prick, but if you're scoring so low that you need a retake in order to gain admission to an unaccredited school... well, law school is probably not for you.
Can't help but feel sorry for those folks. When I told my dental hygienist I was going to law school she thought I was going to be going to Lincoln Law School, which is not nationally accredited. She seemed relieve when I said I would be going elsewhere and leaving the area. She said a number of her friends have gone to Lincoln and flunked out. Only 30% of their class graduates or some crazy number like that. They flunk ppl so they can say they have a decent bar passage rate, in the meantime they get tuition for one or two years. They rip people off who simply don't know better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:22 pm

I don't think this move is necessarily dumb. The person probably really preferred New York and was quite debt adverse; just a different set of priorities. I can imagine taking Fordham in those circumstances. Then again if you replace Fordham with Cardozo or Brooklyn.....dumb.

As for these other things....the unaccredited LSAT chatter, the late May LSAT studier, the low acheiver who thinks he/she can get into Stanford...did people actually say these things? Wow!

nyknicks

Bronze

Post by nyknicks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 pm

LOL Fordham is in serious decline. 34th in the rankings???? ROFTLCOPTER. LULZ.

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:34 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
I don't think this move is necessarily dumb. The person probably really preferred New York and was quite debt adverse; just a different set of priorities. I can imagine taking Fordham in those circumstances. Then again if you replace Fordham with Cardozo or Brooklyn.....dumb.

Nope, it's pretty dumb. Debt aversion and frugality go hand in hand w/ a consideration for gainful employment.
What's especially dumb about this move is... the person was intelligent enough to get 90K @ NU, but apparently ignorant enough not to capitalize on the offer.

The others with 152s and 2.Xs were hopeless from the beginning with no opportunity for advancement.
Last edited by CCN on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:34 pm

that douche bag a couple years back trying to say he was an URM because he grew up in a URM family and got in trouble with a couple of law schools

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”