Need to ask recommendeders to write another recommendation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Waitingontheworld

New

Need to ask recommendeders to write another recommendation

Post by Waitingontheworld » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Any anyone give me tips on how to notify them? I found out about a scholarship recently but it's due May 3rd, which is soon, so I'm unsure how to ask through email. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

*oops messed up the title by the way
Last edited by Waitingontheworld on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Re: Need to ask recommendeders to write another recommendation

Post by legalese_retard » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:02 pm

Waitingontheworld wrote:Any anyone give me tips on how to notify them? I found out about a scholarship recently but it's due next week so I'm unsure how to ask through email. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
If it is due soon, you better call them or stop by their office rather than email. There is a chance that the person would not check their email during the weekend and you would have to wait extra days until you get a response.

Also, you will sound more genuine on the phone about needing the recommendation on a short notice. You are much more likely to get a positive response by calling. Regardless of if they say yes or no, you will get an immediate response.

Waitingontheworld

New

Post by Waitingontheworld » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:05 pm

/\ One of them is a visiting professor so he is never in his office unfortunately. And oops I meant not next week, it's due May 3rd, which is still pretty close to date.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:30 pm

sounds like the lloyd johnson. i get where you're coming from i applied for a lot of scholarships and felt bad having to keep asking my recommenders for new recommendations but they didn't seem to mind. and im going to get them a really nice gift. if u can't get a hold of them i'd shoot them an email.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Waitingontheworld wrote:/\ One of them is a visiting professor so he is never in his office unfortunately. And oops I meant not next week, it's due May 3rd, which is still pretty close to date.
In that case, make sure you do your due diligence and find out what the recommender is supposed to say. If the professor can simply reprint the same letter he sent for your law school application, the request shouldn't be an issue (unless he didn't save a copy).

If the scholarship requires a different kind of recommendation letter you will need to do as much leg work for the professor and explain it to him. If he already wrote a letter and has to reinvent the wheel and write a different one for the same school, it is going to be hard for him to go beyond what he already said. Find out what traits the scholarship is looking for and organize your CV or other materials and give it to him to make the process easier (especially with the "time crunch"). Just tell him, "The letter is similar to the one you already wrote for me, but the scholarship is requesting XYC qualities/examples. I can send you a copy of my CV highlighting the examples of XYZ to refer to when writing the letter." Also, offer to drop off a stamped envelope or offer to pick it up and mail it for him.

If you've already been accepted to the school, you can joke in the email to the tune of: "Obviously your recommendation was great as I got in and that is why I am hoping you can send another one for this scholarship..." Be appreciative of his previous recommendation, be truthful about the timing issues (don't lie and say the scholarship was recently announced and has a quick turnaround time if it doesn't), and give him the option to opt out ("I realize this is short notice and it takes quite a bit of time to write one, so let me know if it is an inconvenience.")

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Waitingontheworld

New

Re: Need to ask recommenders to write another recommendation

Post by Waitingontheworld » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:35 pm

/\ sounds good! thanks! I just sent out the email, now I'll just sit and wait for a response. Did any of you guys give those who gave you recommendations presents? I was thinking of giving my professor a plant with a thank you letter, since he has alot in his office and seems to like them. I don't know if that's too cheesy though lol

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Waitingontheworld wrote:Any anyone give me tips on how to notify them? I found out about a scholarship recently but it's due May 3rd, which is soon, so I'm unsure how to ask through email. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

*oops messed up the title by the way
I read up on the whole LOR thing and realized it's best I ask each recommender to make and seal 3 additional copies of their letter...and I informed them that it's for scholarships and such that will also want recommendations.

This way they don't have me bugging them for more and more writing as time passes.

This time get them to give you extra copies addressed on letterhead To Whom It May Concern.

I have my 3 additional sealed copies sitting around waiting to be mailed out.

I also asked them to make sure and save the original so if I need any more they can just print, sign and mail. Very thorough cause I hate begging for anything so I don't want to have to do it more than once. :-)

legalized

Bronze

Re: Need to ask recommenders to write another recommendation

Post by legalized » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:17 pm

Waitingontheworld wrote:/\ sounds good! thanks! I just sent out the email, now I'll just sit and wait for a response. Did any of you guys give those who gave you recommendations presents? I was thinking of giving my professor a plant with a thank you letter, since he has alot in his office and seems to like them. I don't know if that's too cheesy though lol
I sent very energetic thank you before, during, and after. By email.

They already know me, and I am no longer in my college town, so I can't give them anything in person. Maybe at the end of it all when I know what school I get into I will send them thank you e-cards from Hallmark or real cards.

If you do send flowers make sure the professor is the type of personality to be taking care of a flower or else they are just going to be annoyed by the extra chore and/or the plant will die a fast death. lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”