LOCI: Should I mention where I sent my deposit? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Raskolnikoff

Bronze

LOCI: Should I mention where I sent my deposit?

Post by Raskolnikoff » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:31 am

Should I mention where I sent my deposit in a LOCI to another school? Does not sound like a bad idea, any reservations??

Raskolnikoff

Bronze

Re: LOCI: Should I mention where I sent my deposit?

Post by Raskolnikoff » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:14 am

bump

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:16 am

Post an example of your LOCI? PM it to me? I need to do one, but would love an example.

Baloo

New

Post by Baloo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I don't know about in an LOCI. Seems a little strange and sort of defeats the purpose and title of an LOCI. Your supposed to be showing interest in the school of concern, not say that you've put a deposit down elsewhere so it's no big deal if you don't get in to this specific school. Unless you're saying something like, "despite having paid my deposit at school X, I am still interested in school Y and would attend if admitted." Steel seems iffy to me. I did mention a school I'd have to pay a deposit to soon in a thank you email I sent to an adcoms Dean after I spoke with the Dean on the phone regarding my WL app. Not sure if that helps

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Had a long talk with my bf about this the other night (yes, we're lame, I know). We concluded that you should leave the "other" schools out of it. They know you're going to put down a deposit somewhere else. Think of it this way: if they have two people with LOCI's and virtually the same application, are they going to go with the person who they KNOW put down a deposit at another school or the person who only focused on how much they love their school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:Should I mention where I sent my deposit in a LOCI to another school? Does not sound like a bad idea, any reservations??
Slight variation of the OP's question: is it appropriate to mention your other scholarship options? I'm tempted to tell my WL school that I'd gladly attend at full price, even if it means turning down a near full ride at a fairly similarly ranked school.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:39 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Raskolnikoff wrote:Should I mention where I sent my deposit in a LOCI to another school? Does not sound like a bad idea, any reservations??
Slight variation of the OP's question: is it appropriate to mention your other scholarship options? I'm tempted to tell my WL school that I'd gladly attend at full price, even if it means turning down a near full ride at a fairly similarly ranked school.
I think the answer to both is that you should address in a general sense. Saying "Despite highly attractive scholarship/acceptance offers are comparably ranked schools, X remains my first choice." is a way of communicating sincere interest and emphasizing you are drawn to a unique culture and not just a random ranking. I don't think you need to name names. (Though if the school was significantly higher I might. For example saying you intend to walk away from Harvard for a lower T14.)

NightHooded

New

Post by NightHooded » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:14 pm

I don't think name-dropping is bad if it's done tastefully and the school is a rival. I could see saying "Dear CLS, Although I've put my deposit down already for NYU, I plan to remain on your waitlist because..........."

Otherwise, how do they necessarily know you do have good options? If you say "I've put my deposit down at another highly-regarded school" it could be Yale or Duke or USC or....

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:47 pm

First, judging from your posted profile, I think that you did not apply to enough law schools.
Second, I love Crime & Punishment.
Third, buy a recent issue of USNews' Guide To Graduate Schools & check out which three law schools reported 100% employment 9 months after graduation.
Congratulations!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”