How cool are judicial clerkships? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CCNP

New

How cool are judicial clerkships?

Post by CCNP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:50 pm

1. Can some give me 3 reasons why a law student should try to get judicial clerkships?

2. Are non-Article III clerkships worth it if you have no intention of doing further clerkships?

3. Only review students are every eligible for clerkships? Are non-review journal students every considered?

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Re: How cool are judicial clerkships?

Post by Fancy Pants » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:54 pm

CCNP wrote:1. Can some give me 3 reasons why a law student should try to get judicial clerkships?

2. Are non-Article III clerkships worth it if you have no intention of doing further clerkships?

3. Only review students are every eligible for clerkships? Are non-review journal students every considered?
1. Chicks, bling, and more chicks.

2. Absolutely not.

3. 1 out of every 34 are.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:57 pm

0L, but I thought I would chime in anyway.

From what my Professor, who is an NYU grad and former clerk, has told me clerkships are good for establishing a relationship with a judge- something that can come in handy later on. Also, you can gain a lot of experience and working closely with a judge demystifies the courtroom experience- whatever that means. Also, firms hand out decent bonus for clerkships especially SCOTUS.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:04 pm

CCNP wrote:1. Can some give me 3 reasons why a law student should try to get judicial clerkships?

1: First, it's looked at as a very prestigious credential by employers, especially in litigation. Second, clerks usually get very close with their judges, having a connection with a judge can be a big help in certain areas (especially academia, fed. gov't, and if you want to become a judge yourself). Third, many people find the work extremely interesting - you essentially do the judge's job, deciding cases, writing opinions, etc.

2: Generally no. Maybe an exception for super-specific practice areas (e.g., bankruptcy), or if it's the state supreme court of a major state (NY, TX, CA, MA) or the state you will practice in for the rest of your life.

3: You do not have to be on law review, but it is a big plus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”