% of prestigious undergrads in LS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CordeliusX

Bronze

% of prestigious undergrads in LS

Post by CordeliusX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:46 pm

From the ASWs I've attended, the folks I see on here and meet casually in real life, I was surprised that many do NOT come from the cream o'the crop undergrad places. Why is this? I found this to be a relief, but I'm still surprised. I cannot speak for HYS from direct experience, but I'm assuming the same make-up holds true for them...?

FYI I've always been discouraged about this. I remember thinking in high school "If I don't go to a T10 UG, I'll never get in anywhere decent for grad school" :roll:

But does HYS, for instance, have more prestigious UGs represented? I'm assuming law school make-up is more likely to include top people from decent institutions, not necessarily Princeton or wherever. I'd wager that you might even be screwed over by attending HYP if you're not supreme with your GPA.

Kretzy

Silver

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Post by Kretzy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:48 pm

It really ran the gamut at Stanford's ASW. I met a LOT of students from Yale, Stanford, Brown, and Harvard; lots of kids from fairly prestigious LACs (Vassar, Swarthmore, etc.), and the great publics. I also met a lot of folks from places like UTEP, Louisiana-Monroe, Nevada-Reno, and other schools not considered "top tier." It seemed that most of the folks who were coming straight from UG were from the top undergrads.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:52 pm

CordeliusX wrote:From the ASWs I've attended, the folks I see on here and meet casually in real life, I was surprised that many do NOT come from the cream o'the crop undergrad places. Why is this? I found this to be a relief, but I'm still surprised. I cannot speak for HYS from direct experience, but I'm assuming the same make-up holds true for them...?

FYI I've always been discouraged about this. I remember thinking in high school "If I don't go to a T10 UG, I'll never get in anywhere decent for grad school" :roll:

But does HYS, for instance, have more prestigious UGs represented? I'm assuming law school make-up is more likely to include top people from decent institutions, not necessarily Princeton or wherever. I'd wager that you might even be screwed over by attending HYP if you're not supreme with your GPA.
Could be, as there is some serious grade inflation at quite a few Ivies http://gradeinflation.com/

LSAT is a fair game, at the end of the day.

But at the ASWs I attended, there were still more people coming from top undergrads. That may very well have to do with the higher LSAT performance by the student bodies at those schools.
Last edited by violinst on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Kretzy wrote:It really ran the gamut at Stanford's ASW. I met a LOT of students from Yale, Stanford, Brown, and Harvard; lots of kids from fairly prestigious LACs (Vassar, Swarthmore, etc.), and the great publics. I also met a lot of folks from places like UTEP, Louisiana-Monroe, Nevada-Reno, and other schools not considered "top tier." It seemed that most of the folks who were coming straight from UG were from the top undergrads.
What is Brown? The sidekick school to the other ivy league schools?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 pm

$1.99 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:It really ran the gamut at Stanford's ASW. I met a LOT of students from Yale, Stanford, Brown, and Harvard; lots of kids from fairly prestigious LACs (Vassar, Swarthmore, etc.), and the great publics. I also met a lot of folks from places like UTEP, Louisiana-Monroe, Nevada-Reno, and other schools not considered "top tier." It seemed that most of the folks who were coming straight from UG were from the top undergrads.
That's what folks in Colorado seem to think, but I met more kids from Brown than any school but Yale. They must be doing something right...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Kretzy wrote:
$1.99 wrote:
That's what folks in Colorado seem to think, but I met more kids from Brown than any school but Yale. They must be doing something right...
Absolutely, it's called grade inflation. Brown has the highest GPA listed on this site: --LinkRemoved--

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Northwestern's ASW was like a Big Ten reunion.

A lot of the nations brightest minds don't go to Ivy league schools.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:07 pm

I found that I was pretty out-of-place in terms of undergrad representation at the HLS ASW. I definitely got a few weird looks for my mediocre state school here and there, but I definitely didn't feel out of place around the people. There were a LOT of HYPS undergrads though.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:08 pm

im_blue wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
$1.99 wrote:
Absolutely, it's called grade inflation. Brown has the highest GPA listed on this site: --LinkRemoved--
Yes, Brown (Av. GPA: 3.61) and Yale (Av. GPA: 3.51) http://gradeinflation.com/yale.html
Most suitable for Stanford Law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm

violinst wrote:
Yes, Brown (Av. GPA: 3.61) and Yale (Av. GPA: 3.51) http://gradeinflation.com/yale.html
And Yale Law

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:12 pm

The SLS ASW had people from all over (although I didn't meet any other Cal students :cry:). I did meet a disproportionally high number of HYPS grads, though.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:12 pm

There are about 210 people on the YLS class of 2013 facebook group, and I'd estimate that 90% of them are from an Ivy, elite public (like Berkeley), or elite LAC. There are a huge number of people from Yale and Harvard. Yale and Harvard alone might make up 30% of the facebook group.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:14 pm

At Boalt I perceive that about 50% of my classmates come from an Ivy, Stanford or Berkeley. No idea if this perception is accurate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:14 pm

tomhobbes wrote:There are about 210 people on the YLS class of 2013 facebook group, and I'd estimate that 90% of them are from an Ivy, elite public (like Berkeley), or elite LAC. There are a huge number of people from Yale and Harvard. Yale and Harvard alone might make up 30% of the facebook group.
Yeah, that's pretty nuts. There are a ton of Dookies in there as well.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:15 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
And Yale Law
Well, for Yale Law, you at least need to work your butt off to get a high LSAT score, hence a fairer game.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:18 pm

violinst wrote:
Wow, I guess I don't have much conception of what grade inflation actually looks like...jeepers.

In any event, I didn't meet nearly any unimpressive folks this weekend. I don't much care how they got into SLS, but I'm pretty excited to be taking classes with them.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:19 pm

violinst wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
And Yale Law
Well, for Yale Law, you at least need to work your butt off to get a high LSAT score, hence a fairer game.
Hmm, this seems to be a bit of a shaky conclusion.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Seemed like a lot of "top publics" at UVA's ASW -- tons of UVA grads, plenty of W&M grads, some people from UCLA, UMCP, UFL, etc. That said, there was a healthy contingent of Ivy grads as well.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:34 pm

OneKnight wrote:Seemed like a lot of "top publics" at UVA's ASW -- tons of UVA grads, plenty of W&M grads, some people from UCLA, UMCP, UFL, etc. That said, there was a healthy contingent of Ivy grads as well.
Interesting, I was wondering where my classmates are going. I was the only W&Mer at Chicago's ASW, which was not surprising. For the most part the people I met didn't display any sort of pattern; they were pretty all over the place. I would have thought there would have been more uniformity.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:58 pm

The worst was this guy who had silk-screened for himself a "top dawg" shirt, and the back said "#1 GPA in XYZ College graduating class"... and I later learned that he was getting requests from other students there for their own shirts.

Psyche. :mrgreen:

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:59 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
And Yale Law
Hmm, this seems to be a bit of a shaky conclusion.
I know what you mean.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:00 pm

CordeliusX wrote:The worst was this guy who had silk-screened for himself a "top dawg" shirt, and the back said "#1 GPA in XYZ College graduating class"... and I later learned that he was getting requests from other students there for their own shirts.

Psyche. :mrgreen:
Jokes on him, they still end up at the same school.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Northwestern's ASW was like a Big Ten reunion.

A lot of the nations brightest minds don't go to Ivy league schools.
The majority of people here seem to have gone to either T20 private schools, equivalent LACs, or top state schools. Lot's of NU, Duke, USC, UCLA, UNC, etc. Then on either side you've got a few people who went to HYPS, and a few people who went to CSU or the like.

februaryftw

Bronze

Post by februaryftw » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:25 pm

I have a pretty good sense of the elite privates, but can someone explain the category of top publics to me (for the purposes of being understood as a "prestigious UG")? It is used quite a bit, but seems like it is a nebulous category. Part of the problem, I think, is that there are a lot of large public research universities, which are elite in some areas of research, but which are quite liberal in general admissions. I mean, I know Berkeley and Michigan are in there, and directional state schools aren't. But how many publics are we talking about? Top 5? 10?

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:11 pm

februaryftw wrote:I have a pretty good sense of the elite privates, but can someone explain the category of top publics to me (for the purposes of being understood as a "prestigious UG")? It is used quite a bit, but seems like it is a nebulous category. Part of the problem, I think, is that there are a lot of large public research universities, which are elite in some areas of research, but which are quite liberal in general admissions. I mean, I know Berkeley and Michigan are in there, and directional state schools aren't. But how many publics are we talking about? Top 5? 10?
Last edited by tomhobbes on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”