Too Late To Ask For More Cash? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ndpfn

New

Too Late To Ask For More Cash?

Post by ndpfn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:57 am

I sent in the first tuition deposit to school A last week with the (obvious) intention of enrolling there (The deadline for the deposit was last week so that's why I sent it in). However, yesterday I received a more generous scholarship offer from school B that's kind of thrown a wrench into my plans.

The two schools are peer schools in the midwest, almost identical LSAT/GPA stats, etc. I'd be happy attending either one, so there's no concern about location.

The question: With the first part of my tuition deposit having already been received, can I try to negotiate more money from that school or am I locked into the offer? Does it matter that they only have the first deposit and not the entire amount?

Thanks for any help.

Captain Jack

New

Re: Too Late To Ask For More Cash?

Post by Captain Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:09 pm

Negotiate FAST!

While the tuition deposit locks you into an acceptance of School A's package, I highly doubt that they wouldn't at least consider upping the financial aid package, especially if you show them that a peer school is willing to bless you with $.

Go for it!

Kiersten1985

Silver

Re: Too Late To Ask For More Cash?

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Was the deposit a binding deposit? If not, then school A has every reason to believe you could still choose school B after receiving their aid package. Email school A with a copy of school B's award letter. Explain that this was an unexpected development that has forced you to consider school B, but that school A is obviously one of your top choices and that if you were able to receive a competition offer from them, it would basically make your decision for you.

Good luck! and get on this fast!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”