LSAC GPA problems Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
danget bobby

New

LSAC GPA problems

Post by danget bobby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:32 am

So I just discovered the difference between my GPA and my LSAC gpa and I think im in big trouble...is there anything I can do here?

My current gpa is a 3.3, but I retook 4 classes that I failed earlier (which, to my understanding will be counted both as F's and as well as the subsequent A's that I recieved retaking them)

however, I also failed a large number of classes at a previous university that I did not repeat because I left and transferred. I am looking at >10 F's on my LSAC gpa if I am understanding this correctly.

FWIW, my first university was a large public top 100 school, and I am currently in a top 100 private university. I have been preping for the June LSAT averaging 166, but will that even matter? I thought I'd be able to get into a T2 chicago school easy (depaul, loyola, kent), but with this lsac gpa is that now out of the question? What are my options?

Thanks

BarCliff

New

Re: LSAC GPA problems

Post by BarCliff » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:44 am

Sorry to say it, but you're out of luck. LSAC uses all grades, regardless of where you got them, prior to when you're awarded your undergraduate degree.

Your best option is to make absolutely sure you rock the LSAT.

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 am

166 your still a lock at depaul

danget bobby

New

Post by danget bobby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:57 pm

When schools post their 25th - 75th percentile GPA's is that the LSAC gpa or regular?

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:01 pm

danget bobby wrote:When schools post their 25th - 75th percentile GPA's is that the LSAC gpa or regular?
It's the LSAC GPA, which is the one used in admission.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Is 3.3 your LSAC GPA?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:20 pm

yeah it sucks, but this is what a bunch of people go through every year. LSAC counts everything and the LSDAS GPA is the one that matters. All you can do is study your ass off and get an LSAT score that will cancel out that GPA

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:24 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:yeah it sucks, but this is what a bunch of people go through every year. LSAC counts everything and the LSDAS GPA is the one that matters. All you can do is study your ass off and get an LSAT score that will cancel out that GPA
This. How bad is the LSAC GPA? Assuming it's not completely awful, with a high enough LSAT score, you should still be able to get at least one of DePaul/Loyola/Kent.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:34 pm

I am in a very very similar situation.

My LSAC GPA ended up being below 2.5. As calculated by my UG it is 3.74.

I got a 170+ LSAT, and I was accepted in several T2 and T3s, and WL at several T1s. Still waiting to hear from a couple others.

BTW, Depaul and UIUC both waitlisted me. I withdrew from Kent because they were taking too fucking long and I am in at better options.

I think if you have a strong trend, write a good addendum, and kill the LSAT you can do alright. I have 3 years of a close to 4.0 GPA, so I think that helps my case a bit, as well as some interestingish softs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:36 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:yeah it sucks, but this is what a bunch of people go through every year. LSAC counts everything and the LSDAS GPA is the one that matters. All you can do is study your ass off and get an LSAT score that will cancel out that GPA
This. How bad is the LSAC GPA? Assuming it's not completely awful, with a high enough LSAT score, you should still be able to get at least one of DePaul/Loyola/Kent.
I agree that one of them will take you with a high enough LSAT. If you can land a job after UG for a couple of years and score over a 170, even Northwestern may look past your GPA. They let in a few people this year with ~3.0/170+ and work experience.

You also sound like you may be a prime candidate to pen a GPA addendum.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:38 pm

kswiss wrote:I am in a very very similar situation.

My LSAC GPA ended up being below 2.5. As calculated by my UG it is 3.74.

I got a 170+ LSAT, and I was accepted in several T2 and T3s, and WL at several T1s. Still waiting to hear from a couple others.

BTW, Depaul and UIUC both waitlisted me. I withdrew from Kent because they were taking too fucking long and I am in at better options.

I think if you have a strong trend, write a good addendum, and kill the LSAT you can do alright. I have 3 years of a close to 4.0 GPA, so I think that helps my case a bit, as well as some interestingish softs.
Yikes, what a bummer. My LSAC GPA is lower than my actual GPA, but nothing like this. Ouch.

danget bobby

New

Post by danget bobby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Assuming I have calculated my lsac gpa correctly, I currently have a 2.23 (fml). After this semester it will jump to a 2.45.

Thanks for the replies

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:10 pm

HyeMart wrote:166 your still a lock at depaul
I got into Wisconsin and several other in that range with a 166 and a similar situation. I think it all depends on how you explain your GPA. I also got dinged at a lot of schools that were much worse, and I can only guess my academic history is the reason.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:48 pm

danget bobby wrote:Assuming I have calculated my lsac gpa correctly, I currently have a 2.23 (fml). After this semester it will jump to a 2.45.

Thanks for the replies
Ummm.. you could keep taking classes before you earn your first degree and hope it keeps going up? But that might not be worth it.

danget bobby

New

Post by danget bobby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:59 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
danget bobby wrote:Assuming I have calculated my lsac gpa correctly, I currently have a 2.23 (fml). After this semester it will jump to a 2.45.

Thanks for the replies
Ummm.. you could keep taking classes before you earn your first degree and hope it keeps going up? But that might not be worth it.

I still have two more semesters of classes on top of my current one to bring it up.

This brings up another question: do I apply now (this summer) without my fall 2010 and spring 2011 grades, or would it be worth the increase to wait till next summer to apply? If I wait Ill have an entire year before I start law school tho. Also if I apply now and get rejected at schools, will that influence my reapplication next year?

EDIT: the highest my gpa could climb by the time I graduate would be a 2.708. Is that .25ish a large enough difference?

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:04 pm

danget bobby wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

Thanks for the replies

I still have two more semesters of classes on top of my current one to bring it up.

This brings up another question: do I apply now (this summer) without my fall 2010 and spring 2011 grades, or would it be worth the increase to wait till next summer to apply? If I wait Ill have an entire year before I start law school tho. Also if I apply now and get rejected at schools, will that influence my reapplication next year?

i'd apply as late as possible to show upward trend and a few solid last semesters in school. It will make writing your GPA addendum easier as well, which is going to be a key part of your application. And I don't think you could apply that early anyways, most schools won't accept applications more than a year out.

I think taking a year off might be a good idea in your situation, as it lets you also add some work experience to distance yourself from the gpa.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks for the replies
You're pretty much hosed. It's crappy system, but there's nothing you can do :-/

People will tell you things like 'write an addendum', 'take more classes', and 'get work experience first'. But when you apply, your uGPA as calculated by the LSAT will still be the second biggest factor in your application after the LSAT, and having well below a 3.0 is going to make getting into a decent law school all but impossible.

For what it's worth, you might consider alternative options to law school at this point. If you don't realize that all of the addenda and work experience in the world will still likely mean less than beasting (170+++) the LSAT.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks for the replies
A 171/2.1 got NU via ED. They had some work experience though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”