... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:41 pm

deleted
Last edited by newyorker88 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Re: What is an offense?

Post by Kiersten1985 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:44 pm

I would put everything you can think of, just to cover all bases. If it's not what they're looking for, they'll ignore it. But if you omit something they WERE looking for, you don't look too good.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:46 pm

I agree with ^. If there is an official record of it (i.e. court case, speeding ticket, etc.) I would divulge it.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:I would put everything you can think of
parking tickets too?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:46 pm

I think that one would be going overboard. Just because your car was parked illegally, doesn't mean you were the one who parked it illegally.

MidlawMyth

New

Post by MidlawMyth » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Bert wrote:I think that one would be going overboard. Just because your car was parked illegally, doesn't mean you were the one who parked it illegally.
The dead hooker in his trunk could've been put there by ANYONE. :wink:

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Bert wrote:I think that one would be going overboard. Just because your car was parked illegally, doesn't mean you were the one who parked it illegally.
uhmm where i live,ny, when you pay a parking ticket you say whether you're just the owner or if you were operating the vehicle at the time of the ticket. I'm pretty sure on all the tickets I've paid I indicated that I was operating the vehicle.

Lupton Pittman

New

Post by Lupton Pittman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:05 pm

no one gives a shit about parking tickets. I'm inclined to say the same goes for speeding tickets, assuming they weren't issued in conjunction w/ a wreckless driving charge.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:08 pm

Or you just don't mark either and send the check to the DOF. They still cash the check and mark it as paid. Anyway, I still think listing all parking tickets is too much - the parking ticket relates to the car and not to you. Outside of parking tickets, I would think anything for which you were cited should be listed: speeding tickets, driving with no headlights, getting into an accident with a police car, public intoxication, etc., because the DOJ will see these when they run their files. If you want to be sure though, call the DAs office and tell them you are confused with what they are looking for in response to this question.

EDIT: I would think that a lapse in insurance does not count unless you got a ticket for it.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Bert wrote:Or you just don't mark either and send the check to the DOF. They still cash the check and mark it as paid. Anyway, I still think listing all parking tickets is too much - the parking ticket relates to the car and not to you. Outside of parking tickets, I would think anything for which you were cited should be listed: speeding tickets, driving with no headlights, getting into an accident with a police car, public intoxication, etc., because the DOJ will see these when they run their files. If you want to be sure though, call the DAs office and tell them you are confused with what they are looking for in response to this question.

EDIT: I would think that a lapse in insurance does not count unless you got a ticket for it.
Oh you get more than a ticket. NY does not play with that. They suspend your license and the registration on your car for every day that you had out of state insurance. Since it was my first time. I was eligible to just pay a fine for every day that I had the out of state insurance and not have my license taken.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:26 pm

newyorker88 wrote:Oh you get more than a ticket. NY does not play with that. They suspend your license and the registration on your car for every day that you had out of state insurance. Since it was my first time. I was eligible to just pay a fine for every day that I had the out of state insurance and not have my license taken.
Sounds like you got caught, so my answer would be to report it.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:34 pm

How many parking tickets are we talking about? If it is easy to list em, then i would just do it so I didn't have to worry about it.

If you have several, or aren't sure of the dates then I would try calling or emailing and just asking if they want you to disclose parking tickets. Sometimes it really is as simple as asking someone what they want from you :)

As for me... I'm old and know that i have a couple old speeding tickets from 10-15 years ago... but i'm not even sure what states they were given in or what years they are from. I got em while driving home on leave in the navy... but it could have been anywhere between new york and texas, or virginia and texas, or florida and texas... depending on when it was. :) I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to disclose that when the bar asks. Fortunately, the school I applied to specifically said not to include traffic tickets so i didn't have to worry about it for that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:35 pm

Sangiovese wrote:How many parking tickets are we talking about?
I think like 5

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:37 pm

If it puts your mind at ease, call the DA and ask if you should list them.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 pm

newyorker88 wrote:So I'm filling out an application for an internship at a DA's office in NY. One of the questions is have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense. What is an offense? Would something like a reckless driving ticket count as an offense or a lapse in insurance coverage? I've googled offense but haven't really come up with much luck. Any ideas?
An offense is either going to be a criminal or non-criminal offense. Since the sentence distinguishes "crime" from offense, I'm guessing they are asking if you've been convicted of a non-criminal offense (in addition to crimes). In most places, non-criminal offenses are just civil violations, like parking shit. In New York, however, there are also some non-criminal offenses of which you can be convicted and which carry a jail sentence. For example, a common one is disorderly conduct (which is a misdemeanor in a lot of places).

In any case, reckless driving is a misdemeanor in NY, so it's pretty weird that you don't understand why you would need to disclose that. (But in the poll you put careless driving, which is not the same as reckless driving. You might want to get your rap sheet and see wtf is going on with yourself.)

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:30 pm

kn6542 wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:So I'm filling out an application for an internship at a DA's office in NY. One of the questions is have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense. What is an offense? Would something like a reckless driving ticket count as an offense or a lapse in insurance coverage? I've googled offense but haven't really come up with much luck. Any ideas?
An offense is either going to be a criminal or non-criminal offense. Since the sentence distinguishes "crime" from offense, I'm guessing they are asking if you've been convicted of a non-criminal offense (in addition to crimes). In most places, non-criminal offenses are just civil violations, like parking shit. In New York, however, there are also some non-criminal offenses of which you can be convicted and which carry a jail sentence. For example, a common one is disorderly conduct (which is a misdemeanor in a lot of places).

In any case, reckless driving is a misdemeanor in NY, so it's pretty weird that you don't understand why you would need to disclose that. (But in the poll you put careless driving, which is not the same as reckless driving. You might want to get your rap sheet and see wtf is going on with yourself.)
For clarification. I received a careless driving citation out of state. It did not occur in NY also NY has no such violation as careless driving if that's relevant. Also it did not go "on my rap sheet". NY doesn't allow other states to put things on your driving record or give you points. There is no record of the careless driving citation anywhere. My record has been checked, it's not there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:36 pm

I had an Oxford handy :D :
offense |əˈfens| ( Brit. offence)
noun
1 a breach of a law or rule; an illegal act : neither offense violates any federal law. See note at sin .
• a thing that constitutes a violation of what is judged to be right or natural : the outcome is an offense to basic justice.
2 annoyance or resentment brought about by a perceived insult to or disregard for oneself or one's standards or principles : he went out, making it clear he'd taken offense | I didn't intend to give offense.
3 |ˈôfens; ˈäf-| the action of attacking : [as adj. ] reductions in strategic offense arsenals.
• (in sports) the team or players who are attempting to score or advance the ball.
• (in sports) the condition of possessing the ball or being on the team attempting to score.

Considering that your intership is law-related I would imagine that the first option applies. However, each state is different so what may be an offense in VA isn't necessarily an offense in IL BUT I would think reckless driving is unacceptable and most likely a criminal act or offense ANYWHERE. (I could be wrong though). Hope this helps.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:41 pm

iYale wrote:I had an Oxford handy :D :
noun
1 a breach of a law or rule; an illegal act : neither offense violates any federal law. See note at sin .
• a thing that constitutes a violation of what is judged to be right or natural : the outcome is an offense to basic justice.
2 annoyance or resentment brought about by a perceived insult to or disregard for oneself or one's standards or principles : he went out, making it clear he'd taken offense | I didn't intend to give offense.
3 |ˈôfens; ˈäf-| the action of attacking : [as adj. ] reductions in strategic offense arsenals.
• (in sports) the team or players who are attempting to score or advance the ball.
• (in sports) the condition of possessing the ball or being on the team attempting to score.

Considering that your intership is law-related I would imagine that the first option applies. However, each state is different so what may be an offense in VA isn't necessarily an offense in IL BUT I would think reckless driving is unacceptable and most likely a criminal act or offense ANYWHERE. (I could be wrong though). Hope this helps.
no careless driving isn't criminal in the state that it happened in. also a dictionary definition isn't really helpful for the reasons you outlined. terms mean different things in different states. That's why I specified the state I was referring to. I think I'll omit the parking tickets. I doubt they would care about that. and i'll disclose the two traffic violations. thanks everyone for your advice

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:48 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
noun

no careless driving isn't criminal in the state that it happened in. also a dictionary definition isn't really helpful for the reasons you outlined. terms mean different things in different states. That's why I specified the state I was referring to. I think I'll omit the parking tickets. I doubt they would care about that. and i'll disclose the two traffic violations. thanks everyone for your advice
Ah, gotcha. I apologize for the mix up, but if it isn't criminal in the state that it happened in then technically there was never a charge to begin with so you wouldn't have to provide that information.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:51 pm

iYale wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
noun

Ah, gotcha. I apologize for the mix up, but if it isn't criminal in the state that it happened in then technically there was never a charge to begin with so you wouldn't have to provide that information.
I plead guilty and paid a fine. What do you mean I was never charged? I'm not sure if you're familiar with traffic violations but it works like this. cop issues you a citation. you plead not guilty or guilty and it goes from there. I plead guilty and paid a fine. My question was would this violation be considered an "offense". I'm not very familiar with the term and wonder what it includes iN NY
Last edited by newyorker88 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:51 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

For clarification. I received a careless driving citation out of state. It did not occur in NY also NY has no such violation as careless driving if that's relevant. Also it did not go "on my rap sheet". NY doesn't allow other states to put things on your driving record or give you points. There is no record of the careless driving citation anywhere. My record has been checked, it's not there.
Well, my point was that if it WAS reckless driving, it would be. That's all.

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:55 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
iYale wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
noun

I plead guilty and paid a fine. What do you mean I was never charged?
( :? )You didn't mention that in your initial post. If you were charged and plead guilty then obviously you broke some rule or law, which constitutes an offense to the law or a criminal act somehow. Document it!

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:00 pm

iYale wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
iYale wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:no careless driving isn't criminal in the state that it happened in. also a dictionary definition isn't really helpful for the reasons you outlined. terms mean different things in different states. That's why I specified the state I was referring to. I think I'll omit the parking tickets. I doubt they would care about that. and i'll disclose the two traffic violations. thanks everyone for your advice
I plead guilty and paid a fine. What do you mean I was never charged?
( :? )You didn't mention that in your initial post. If you plead guilty and was charged then obviously you broke some rule or law, which constitutes an offense to the law or a criminal act somehow. Document it!
Mention what? I absolutely mentioned my careless driving in the first post and asked people if they thought that would be considered an offense by NY standards. You don't seem too be following to well.

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:03 pm

You provided us with a scenario, you never once mentioned that YOU were charged and plead guilty, because if that were the case you basically answered your own question, thereby wasting everyone else's time!! No heat man, I'm just saying...

edit: I'm not trying to be a douche, but it almost seems like common sense to me...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”