Law school application advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pengto

New

Law school application advice

Post by Pengto » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:41 am

I am a Canadian student currently finishing up my Junior year of college at a small private college in the state of New York. I am a division 1 athlete with a 3.4 GPA (should be able to get it to 3.5 come application time) in finance and I have been doing some practice LSAT tests with scores around 155-160.

What are my chances at a top50 law school? top100? Will I even be competitive? Should I take a LSAT prep course? Does being a Canadian or a Division 1 athlete help my chances at all?

Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Re: Law school application advice

Post by Sangiovese » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:57 am

Law School Predictor allows you to plug in your numbers and see where you stand at the various schools. It may not be 100% accurate, but it is as close as you're going to get.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Canadian won't help you much if at all. There is a slight chance that you'll fill a needed gap in a school's "student diversity" profile - but I certainly wouldn't count on that. And any bump you would get from being able to fill in an empty spot on their matrix would be very small.

Being a D1 athlete probably gives you some good material for a solid personal statement and speaks to your drive and determination... but again, it's a small thing and won't make a large difference.

It pretty much comes down to numbers for the vast majority of applicants. There are always a few cases of people having results that are better or worse than their numbers suggest... but those are rare instances and revolve around people who truly have something that makes them stand out from a crowd. (And being a D1 athlete, student organization officer, volunteer, etc do NOT make you stand out from the crowd - at least not the particular crowd you are competing with for law school admissions.)

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:59 am

I think being Canadian will not help at all. Division one athlete could help a lot. You can get top 50 for sure. Break 160

Pengto

New

Post by Pengto » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Thank you for the responses. I am interested in corporate law, any suggestions for a top 50 school that I have a shot at that has a strong corporate law program?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”